IGNORED

How old were you when you got your first Intellivision ?

Intellfan

I bought my first Intellivision in 1981 . I was 17 Working my first real Job ,bought it will my own money, 239 bucks I think. Also bought two games Triple Action and Boxing. I think I was older then most when I got into it . I moved out of my house in 1982 with a roommate and we were always playing Intellivision after work and on weekends with a house full of people . So I always liked the two player games ,like baseball or hockey,Biplanes, or even Skiing where you could have up to 6 people play . Was a lot of fun and my Intellivision held up well to the abuse LOL a lot of beer was flowing in those days plus other party favors of the era LOL. We even had a small store that was renting out Intellivision carts, I loved that so I could check it out before I bought it .

I stopped playing for a while till I went to a Liquor store to buy some beer [ There is that Beer again I am seeing a trend here] and they had a stack of INTV catalogs. and I got the fever again. I know I bought Comando ,Super Mountain Madness Sking ,Thin Ice ,I think Tower of Doom. Oh why didn't I buy Spiker :(

Christmas 1979. I paid for half of mine, which was $100., $200. total.

My Dad told me that morning he couldn't afford his half,and gave my $100. back to me. Then, midday asked me to get something out of the trunk of his car. There it was! I played Baseball all night with my friends, and I mean until the next morning! It was awesome!

• Like 3

200 in 1979? Wasnt it released for 300? What a bargain :D

@ Intellfan

To be honest, it was just a big coincidence that I bought a Intellivision. I was collecting everything and so I looked on ebay after "retro console", thats the story how I found my Intellivision. I did know nothing about the console, but I had the money and bought it. I've done that with several consoles, at the peak I owned about 25 - 30 different systems. But some day I recognized how strange it is to collect everything. I decided to sell a lot of systems off, like Gamecube, Saturn, Wonderswan, NES and so on. But I still loved the Intellivision, so it was no question to keep it.

I also researched the history of this console, the magic number 16 (16 button, 16 directions, 16 Bit). It found its way to my heart very quick. I even loved the simple gameplay of many titles, because they are perfect for a short break from daily stress.

Than, I think it was one year ago, I found a lot on Ebay.de which contained Tutankham. I already knew how rare Tutankham was and so I placed a very high bid for the lot. I won this auction and drove to the seller to pick it up (he lives 250km away from my home). To hold the first ultra rare title in my hands was the moment when I decided to collect a full set of games, my count was at 60 or so in that moment. Now, around one year later, I am at 114, so the end of the road is visible, even if its still damn expensive.

Sorry for this long text, but its nice to remember how everything started, also if it wasnt my childhood. The console from my childhood is my Super Nintendo, which is my fave console, but the Intellivision is a special love and the only system which I want to complete someday.

Edited by Ignorama
  • Like 2

200 in 1979? Wasnt it released for 300? What a bargain :D

@ Intellfan

To be honest, it was just a big coincidence that I bought a Intellivision. I was collecting everything and so I looked on ebay after "retro console", thats the story how I found my Intellivision. I did know nothing about the console, but I had the money and bought it. I've done that with several consoles, at the peak I owned about 25 - 30 different systems. But some day I recognized how strange it is to collect everything. I decided to sell a lot of systems off, like Gamecube, Saturn, Wonderswan, NES and so on. But I still loved the Intellivision, so it was no question to keep it.

I also researched the history of this console, the magic number 16 (16 button, 16 directions, 16 Bit). It found its way to my heart very quick. I even loved the simple gameplay of many titles, because they are perfect for a short break from daily stress.

Than, I think it was one year ago, I found a lot on Ebay.de which contained Tutankham. I already knew how rare Tutankham was and so I placed a very high bid for the lot. I won this auction and drove to the seller to pick it up (he lives 250km away from my home). To hold the first ultra rare title in my hands was the moment when I decided to collect a full set of games, my count was at 60 or so in that moment. Now, around one year later, I am at 114, so the end of the road is visible, even if its still damn expensive.

Sorry for this long text, but its nice to remember how everything started, also if it wasnt my childhood. The console from my childhood is my Super Nintendo, which is my fave console, but the Intellivision is a special love and the only system which I want to complete someday.

That is great. it is fun I am playing it with m 10 year old daughter she loves it,right now her favorite game is Treasures of Tarmin. I have 100+games I am not a collector I am a player I dont have Tutankham congrats on getting that

My parents bought one for my brother and I when we were kids (I'm 36 now), so I think we had one back around '81-83

I recently got back into it in August 2010, where I picked up one on Craigslist for $10. I grabbed some loose games cheap at TradeNGames and the rest is history. 3+ years later I have 121/125 CIB, all 29 Sears, most of the Intellivision Inc games, most of the homebrews, most of the consoles, and a respectable Astrosmash score :-D

I like AtariLeaf's videos too ;-)

Edited by JasonlikesINTV
  • Like 3

I got my Intellivision in 1979 or 1980, when I was 8 or 9 years old. My grandfather bought it for me. I'd been asking for an Atari for the past few Christmases but never got one, and that year my parents said that I could have one if I was good and passed all my grades in school.

I didn't do that well, I barely passed, and my parents said I would have to wait until Christmas and ask Santa for an Atari. My grandfather, who was very fond of me, said he was going to get me one that summer because I passed the grade in school. He bought me an Intellivision instead of an Atari because my aunt had convinced my family that it was a better and the hottest new product.

I remember going to the store to pick it up with my grandfather, and he bought me the game Tennis with it, because he was an avid Tennis player and was trying to get me into it as well. I was taking Tennis lessons at the time, so it was rather cool to play it on the Intellivision. I think we also bought a space game (Star Strike perhaps?), because I was really into Star Wars then. That could have been later, maybe on Christmas, I can't recall well.

Anyway, I loved that thing. I'll never forget that gift, it was one of the best presents I ever had (the Commodore 64 I got in 1983 topped it). I played the hell out of it for a few years.

On the last page of the Christmas Carol manual, I dedicated the game to my grandfather, who passed away the year before release, and didn't get to see the culmination of the dream he helped start with that gift.

There, that's my Intellivision story. :)

dZ.

• Like 8

Great topic!

I was 9 when my dad brought ours home (he worked for GTE and got a deal on a Sylvania unit). Mom and I played Utopia. Dad and I played the rest :-D. I played Major League Baseball by myself for practice!

My little brother, who was a whiz kid at Burgertime, finally got the Intellivision from mom and dad (complete with Diner and the Learning Funs - all loose) so I was forced a few years back to start from scratch. Loving every minute of it and up to 121 of the 125!

I'm 40 now ... amazing that I can still remember playing the games with my family.

• Like 1

I got my Intellivision in 1979 or 1980, when I was 8 or 9 years old. My grandfather bought it for me. I'd been asking for an Atari for the past few Christmases but never got one, and that year my parents said that I could have one if I was good and passed all my grades in school. I didn't do that well, I barely passed, and my parents said I would have to wait until Christmas and ask Santa for an Atari. My grandfather, who was very fond of me, said he was going to get me one at summer because I passed school. He bought me an Intellivision instead of an Atari because my aunt had convinced my family that it was a better and the hottest new product. I remember going to the store to pick it up with my grandfather, and he bought me the game Tennis with it, because he was an avid Tennis player and was trying to get me into it as well. I was taking Tennis lessons at the time, so it was rather cool to play it on the Intellivision. I think we also bought a space game (Star Strike perhaps?), because I was really into Star Wars then. That could have been later, maybe on Christmas, I can't recall well. Anyway, I loved that thing. I'll never forget that gift, it was one of the best presents I ever had (the Commodore 64 I got in 1983 topped it). I played the hell out of it for a few years. On the last page of the Christmas Carol manual, I dedicated the game to my grandfather, who passed away the year before release, and didn't get to see the culmination of the dream he helped start with that gift. There, that's my Intellivision story. :) dZ.

Wow great story :) Love Christmas nothing better for a kid :)

There's no way my parents would have spent the hundreds of dollars asking price on a games console. Not that I didn't want one, I spent hours on the weekends at my friend's place playing Atari 2600.

I won my Intellivision in a Streets Paddle Pop ice cream Lick a Prize competition. It must have been about 1981 or 1982. You collected four matching sticks and sent them away to enter the draw. They told me I'd won a bike (I'd entered for both a bike and an Intellivision), but then when they delivered the prize, it was an Intellivision with Star Strike pack in. I had seen the Intellivision on display in department stores at the time. I used to love watching and playing the games on display while my parents shopped. So when I found out I'd won one, I was over the moon. Game cartridges were on the birthday and Christmas lists for my sister and me from then on.

After the crash, my dad found a stack of cartridges on sale for a few dollars, including some now really rare ones: Thunder Castle, White Water, Dracula, among others.

The first game I played on one in a department store was AD&D Cloudy Mountain. I remember watching an older guy playing and he picked up the boat. I asked where the boat went and how he could carry it. He replied, "Deep pockets."

I still have my original unit. It died a couple of times, it was repaired once by http://www.gamesmen.com.au who are still around and have a video games museum. When I finally put it away years ago, I'd had an unsuccessful attempt at fixing it, and it was very broken. Luckily, the console and games didn't get thrown out. Thanks to the info and help here on this forum, my original console lives again!

- J

• Like 3

Great topic!

I was 9 when my dad brought ours home (he worked for GTE and got a deal on a Sylvania unit). Mom and I played Utopia. Dad and I played the rest :-D. I played Major League Baseball by myself for practice!

My little brother, who was a whiz kid at Burgertime, finally got the Intellivision from mom and dad (complete with Diner and the Learning Funs - all loose) so I was forced a few years back to start from scratch. Loving every minute of it and up to 121 of the 125!

I'm 40 now ... amazing that I can still remember playing the games with my family.

My brother and I played for days, we were older . I was helping him take his mind off his divorce. We would get into diffrent games and play for a few day then change to diffrent game we played a ton of Skiing ,Treasures of Tarmin, Atlantis, Comando,Burgertime was great fun

• Like 2

I didn't have a brother, so I had to convince any of my three sisters to drop their Barbies and come play a match of Tennis with me, or Learning Fun Math. :)

(This is the reason I'm so excited over IntelligentVision's Super Pro Tennis--I can finally play Tennis without having to pry my sisters from their stupid dolls!)

I played Basketball and Astrosmash occasionally with my cousin, whenever he visited.

My father and I played B-17 Bomber and Utopia quite a lot.

Ah, memories. Thanks for starting the thread! :)

dZ.

• Like 1