IGNORED

How old were you when you got your first Intellivision ?

Intellfan

When I was, still am, 30 years old, I adopted an Intellivision from an Amazon seller a few months ago. I never played Intellivision before i got the machine. I wasn't even born when the Intellivision came out, but born during the video game crash(I am not the direct cause of the video game crash ><). The machine is awesome and the disk controller was not as bad as everyone was saying. I enjoy playing Space Hawk with it due to the 16 directional disk. D2K was the push for me to get an Intellivision. Also getting Super BT Chef is excellent. Special and many thanks for JasonlikesINTV for awesome sending me awesome games for the system.

• Like 3

I got my Intellivision when I was 33.

It happened last year, August 15th! I met an American guy known as Voltron. :thumbsup:

I know it's not too polite to disclosure pieces of private talk but I guess this is okay since that's my Intellivision history and I only have to thank Voltron:

Voltron:

Sent Tue Aug 7, 2012 1:35 AM

I saw the flag. Hey are you in Brazil? i collect intellivision games so im usually not inthis part of the forum.
Liduario:

Sent Tue Aug 7, 2012 8:55 AM

Yep. I'm Brazilian. I don't know what part of the forum you're talking because I post in almost every thread icon_smile.gif

Living in Brazil, I don't know much about Intellivision.

I only have played Thin Ice with jzintv emulator for linux. I tried the Dig Dug but it didn't load, it has .int as his name extension and I need to figure out how to play those. When I get these roms running I may jump into the Intellivision HSC here on AA icon_winking.gif
Voltron:
(...) Also if you see an Intellivision console that uses the name digiplay instead of intellivision let me know. (...)
Liduario:

Sent Tue Aug 7, 2012 10:26 AM

Astonishing. I didn't even know about digiplay, Brazilian games or Brazilian Intellivision clones!!!
That's great news and very unexpected to me. Thanks for opening my eyes.

And yes, I can help you with finding, buying and sending icon_wink.gif

Or maybe we can do a trade too.

In fact, I only got my Atari 7800 because I had a Phantom System (Brazilian nes clone in Atari 7800 case) to trade.

Sincerely,

Alexandre Liduario

---

Then, after some long and difficult negotiation ;):

Liduario:

Sent Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:51 PM

I'm playing Intellivision! Everything is working, including your games!

Today is holiday in Belo Horizonte, it's good 'cause I have the day off but Post Office is closed. Tomorrow I'll send the games.

-----------------

That's how I joined Intellivision. We agreed on a trade and Voltron sent an Intellivision only one day after I got his games!

I'm very new to Intellivision and very, very happy for joining you.

• Like 4

Back in 1981, my brothers and I decided to save up to buy an Intellivision. Being 11 years old, $300 was going to require a lot of lawn mowing and saving. We reluctantly decided to downgrade to an Atari 2600 - I think they were going for about $150 at the time. You can imagine our excitement when we opened up a new Intellivision, along with Armor Battle, Baseball and NFL Football Christmas morning!

I still have our original Intellivision (along w/most of the other "variants"), and have gotten up to 120 out of the original 125 (and a bunch of variants).

• Like 2

I think I was 11 or 12 because I'm pretty sure we got the Intellivision in 1981. We had an Atari, but we sold it and bought the Intellivision. I'd have to say my favorite game was NHL Hockey. My friends and I never got tired of tripping each other -- one of the best Inty sound effects.

Did Coleco Donkey Kong come out in fall 1982? That game alone put my Inty love affair on hold for almost 30 years.

• Like 2

DZ- Love the story and Carol..!

I got mine when I was 10. 1980... thus 1980gamer...

Anyway, we had a pretty cool pong game with gun. Then my friend David got a 2600. WOW, Combat was awesome and video olymipcs...

My brother, 10 years older... Funded most of the system and wanted Intellivision. What a great choice bro!

We got 3 additional games.. Auto Racing, Space Battle and MLB... Then NFL shortly after.

Oh, David H. If you are reading, Can you hack Slam Dunk to use Clear Zero Enter just like NBA used to shoot and block shots.

I hate the side buttons in slam dunk.. I don't play it, just because of the side buttons being used!!!!!

• Like 1

Before getting my Intellivision, I had to satiate my video game desires with my father's pong game thing. It had a light gun and played like 10 different variations of a block moving across the screen. :lol:

My cousin had an Atari VCS, and being 7 or 8 years old, I was sure I was going to die if I didn't get one soon.

Once I got the Intellivision, I was the coolest kid on my block for while... Until that stupid, snotty Joey down the street got a ColecoVision. :(

He was a spoiled rotten little shit, and he and his little toad of a brother got EVERY. SINGLE. THING. they ever asked for, sometimes twice!

Joey was horrible, he would invite you over and let you "watch him" play ColecoVision games. If by chance he allowed you to play with his toys, as soon as you started having fun, he would take it away. However, all the kids were always at his house because he had all the coolest toys.

The worse thing was that he would not let me live down the fact that his ColecoVision port of Donkey Kong was 100 times better than my crappy Intellivision one.

That's part of the reason why I am so fond of Carl Mueller Jr.'s Donkey Kong version: it finally switch the balance of power. "How do you like that, Joey? Where's your precious ColecoVision now? neener neener" :P

OK, I'll stop now. :lol:

dZ.

• Like 3

Christmas of '80 or '81, I would have been 7 or 8. I asked for an Atari but got an Intellivision. I don't think I had played it before that. My friends and I would play before and after school every day. Tron Deadly Discs, Burgertime, Lock N Chase, all the sports games. I still have my original system but the games were given away in the mid-80's. Started collecting in the mid-90's and haven't stopped.

I was 12 years old at Christmas 1980 when we were bestowed with an Atari 2600. While we were thrilled when we got it I noticed right away the football and baseball games we got with it sucked, but whaddya gonna do?

Then we went to Illinois to see our cousins for the annual family Christmas get together and guess what they got? A machine with games that beat the living tar outta the 2600, I mean we were completely blown away! The sports titles were light years ahead of what we had just seen and played at home.

We pestered our Dad the whole way back (8hr drive) and he came through with a Santa upgrade for us, (he's an awesome guy), though we only ended up with around 20 games or so before moving on to girls and cars...

I was 12 years old at Christmas 1980 when we were bestowed with an Atari 2600. While we were thrilled when we got it I noticed right away the football and baseball games we got with it sucked, but whaddya gonna do?

Then we went to Illinois to see our cousins for the annual family Christmas get together and guess what they got? A machine with games that beat the living tar outta the 2600, I mean we were completely blown away! The sports titles were light years ahead of what we had just seen and played at home.

We pestered our Dad the whole way back (8hr drive) and he came through with a Santa upgrade for us, (he's an awesome guy), though we only ended up with around 20 games or so before moving on to girls and cars...

Yes you were right :)

post-28364-0-79704500-1383166147_thumb.jpg

Love reading all these stories! As a kid I loved the Intellivision but couldn't afford one, I would go to the local retail store and line up at the display kiosk to play Baseball and Football with my younger brother.

Fast forward and at 42 I got the collecting bug and started with some boxed games... now I have over 300 (no, I don't think I have a problem).

My first steps into the videogame world was a Interton console that I borrowed from a cousin in the late 70s. It was already cartridge based and had the typical Pong and Tank and early racing games. Later I played with friends on their Atari consoles games like Pac Man and Vanguard.

But what impressed me much more were the Intellivision demonstration consoles shown at the local supermarkets. The games were so ahead of the Atari. I started to save money for my own Intellivision.

I bought my Intellivision in spring 1984, when I was 16. I didn't heard anything of the big videogame crash, but who had these days. The only thing I saw was that the price of the Intellivision dropped from 399 DM (Deutsche Mark ;-) ) down to 189DM. That was a price that I could afford.

1984 must look to you quite late, but you must see that the Intellivision was introduced in Germany in mid 1982. So, it was just a new system to me.

Included with the console was Armor Battle. As I later found out my Console was a UK version with just a added german booklet. I was confused that the channels were different from what described in the instructions.

In the following months began the sell out of the Intellivision games (and all the other game systems) in the shops. The prices dropped from 100 - 150DM down to 40 - 30DM. With this new prices I was able to build up a quite nice library of games.

Over the following years I discovered here and there games on second hand markets.

It took until the end of the 90s when I discovered in the internet the sites of the Blue Sky Rangers and Steve's Funhouse and discovered how much games were really made for the Intellivision. At that point the collecting began...

I moved since the Intellivision on to a lot other systems...C64, Amiga, NES, Lynx, PSX...but the Intellivision will ever be my first love (and I still own my first console). :)

Edited by Intymike
  • Like 3

Similarity to Mike´s story here. Still at 399 DM I got my Intellivision for Xmas 1983. It came with Triple Action, which I enjoyed very much - especially loved Bi-Planes playing with schoolfriends.

Another present was Imagic´s title Dracula - it was actually the reason to wish this system, next to the unrivalled sports games of course.

And then came 1984 with drastically reduced prices for Inty games. Everyone now wanted a Commodore 64, a "real" home computer system, not just a toy... :roll:

Ah yes, I was 14 years old.

• Like 1