IGNORED

Some pics of PS4 controller

cimerians

I just got my controller here's a few pics.

Size difference...not much.

ps4cont1.jpg

D-Pad raised feels better than the PS3's

WP_20131031_005.jpg

Finally triggers

WP_20131031_007.jpg

The important things for me is the feel of the sticks and the D-pad and they are a solid thumbs up for me.

The controller feels a bit wider than the PS3 version and has a better grip (a lot better). The touchpad is in between the D-Pad and the buttons. A Wii like speaker is in the middle. The D-Pad is slightly raised and feels a lot better than the PS3 controller and feels like it could be the best D-pad around. The dual sticks feel solid and have a curved inward rim which helps with gripping. A share button is on the top left of the touchpad and an Options button is on the top right of the touchpad. They may have combined the Start and Select buttons into one button calling it Options. The glowy sixaxis sensor is in the front and gives off a faint glow and an Xbox 360-like port is on the inside between the handles probably for headsets or whatever.

I took turns holding a PS3 controller and this one and the PS4 controller buries it hands down.

The real test is the feeling of the PS4 controller and the Xbox 360 gamepad which for me is the best controller last generation. I think its a tie. I still like the feel of the 360 controller in my hands but I prefer the "feel" of the sticks and DPAD of the PS4 controller for sure. I'm sure the Xbox One will improve it so I predict the Xbox One may have a better controller.

• Like 2

finally--concave triggers. That'll really help out with the next generation of arcade racing games.

Not sure that I ever approve of using a touch pad for gaming or menus, however. I really wonder why it's even there. I hope I always wonder that and sony never forces its use.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2

Is that you in the shiny 360 controller reflection?

yeah....that's also my Deathsmiles faceplate blurred out on the 3rd pic down. I swap faceplates on the 360 every month. :P

Have you tried connecting it to anything other than a PS4, like a PC?

Yep, works without a problem (win8 64bit). I played some MAME to see how accurate it was so I put on some Super Pac-Man and Pac-Man Plus. It's very accurate, you just barely move the stick or press a pad and your turning corners. I think there is some truth when that Sony guy mentioned that they designed it to be more responsive than the PS3 controller. I never felt a delay on a 360 or PS3 controller but I'm all for improving response time especially since I play classic games all the time.

It's a solid gamepad...very curious to see how the Xbox One controller performs.

Edited by cimerians
  • Like 2

Thanks for the review! Just curious, how did you get a hold of a controller so early?

Not sure but I ordered the launch day console from Amazon with an extra controller. At the time I added both of them in my cart and checked out.

I'm guessing the controllers are being released early and shipping so they sent my extra one now. I was a bit surprised.

I went to a Gamestop this past week and saw that they are making room for the Xbox One and PS4. Lots of changes going on cause there's only a couple of weeks left.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried connecting it to anything other than a PS4, like a PC?

Update:

As I mentioned for me it worked just by plugging it in, I didnt have to do anything else but this discussion has made me remember something...in Windows 7 I had to install a wrapper type driver to use a PS3 controller as is the case with the PS4 controller apparently:

http://www.destructoid.com/the-playstation-4-can-be-made-to-work-on-the-pc-265971.phtml

I did an inplace upgrade to Windows 8 which I can't recall if existing drivers are ported over during the upgrade (I don't think they are)....if they do then my Win8 machine might be using those wrapper drivers. If not then the controller DID work without any fuss on Windows 8.

Yes probably double the resistance. Like I said in my opinion this controller destroys the PS3 controller.

Tough to beat a 360 controller but this thing is great.

After playing for a couple of days I think I might like it better than the 360 pad. The d-pad alone makes it better. The buttons are all really responsive, and the sticks just feel so solid. My only complaint would be battery life.

After playing for a couple of days I think I might like it better than the 360 pad. The d-pad alone makes it better. The buttons are all really responsive, and the sticks just feel so solid. My only complaint would be battery life.

I think I'm starting to agree...it may be the best controller around. I'd like to check out the d-pad on the new Xbox One...they may have some kiosks of it next week to try out but right now the PS4 controller may be one the best I've ever played with.