IGNORED

So the NES did all these to save gaming?

Jakandsig

A lot of you people have made claims that these statements are not true, but have not posted any links or references whatsoever that back your statements up, while on wikipedia, there are sources to un sources sources from gaming journalists, and while that is quality debatable, this site has a habit of only posting links if someone continually says something that is deemed true over and over again.

If wikipedia is wrong, and all these uh, gaming people businesses are wrong, then it would help if you proved each of those claims wrong with something that shows you got it from somewhere.

OK if you're a wiki fan, here's the scrollers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrolling_game

here's some Wiki D Pad info;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D_pad

You know, you shouldn't just look from one side at the picture, you gotta see the whole picture, I suggest you research, we've given you quite a few pointers.

Edited by high voltage

A lot of you people have made claims that these statements are not true, but have not posted any links or references whatsoever that back your statements up, while on wikipedia, there are sources to un sources sources from gaming journalists, and while that is quality debatable, this site has a habit of only posting links if someone continually says something that is deemed true over and over again.

If wikipedia is wrong, and all these uh, gaming people businesses are wrong, then it would help if you proved each of those claims wrong with something that shows you got it from somewhere.

One of those "sources" was IGN. Not exactly gospel over there.

You must be kidding. A number of people have posted counter examples with release dates.

This isn't Wikipedia we're posting in. If you think they're lying, it's quite easy to verify the release dates yourself.

No, no one gave any references or links. Only one person named scrolling games that could be looked up. Almost all other points were typed the same way as wiki.

OK if you're a wiki fan, here's the scrollers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrolling_game

here's some Wiki D Pad info;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D_pad

You know, you shouldn't just look from one side at the picture, you gotta see the whole picture, I suggest you research, we've given you quite a few pointers.

Your reading comprehension is quite bad.

Is there a reason you're being snarky about this? A better use for your time would be to look these things up yourself instead of wasting your time trying to sound cleverly sarcastic.

But just because I'm a nice guy, I'll save you the trouble on at least a couple of them. Straight from the precious, most-infallible Wikipedia, we have the manufacturing life span of the Atari 2600, from 1977 to 1992, compared to the 1985-1995 life span of the NES and the 1983-2003 life span of the Famicom.

Also available from always-right Wikipedia, specs and the release date of the Commodore 64, detailing how it had scrolling and custom character sets, similar to the NES's tiles, and showing that it came out before the Famicom.

And here's a page from spiritual-healing Wikipedia on the Atari 7800, discussing its conception in 1984, its more "official" release in 1986, and its use of encryption to inhibit unauthorized code from running on the console. Compare this to the release dates of the Famicom, which had no hardware designed to restrict unauthorized code, and the NES, which used the 10NES chip.

And finally, the video game crash itself has its own page on Wikipedia, that bastion of world peace. The page does well to explain how Atari and its activities weren't the only factors in the crash, even if Atari was the largest player involved.

As for your other points, read carefully where I and others actually agreed they were true.

• Like 1

True, and yet, it's a source or claimed to be one, which the general population will decide to believe. Why do you think half the gaming world thinks if they are wrong, that Nintendo is the second coming?

They "claim" to be a source and people will decide to believe them? Sounds like a solid foundation of fact for sure.

• Like 1

Is there a reason you're being snarky about this? A better use for your time would be to look these things up yourself instead of wasting your time trying to sound cleverly sarcastic.

But just because I'm a nice guy, I'll save you the trouble on at least a couple of them. Straight from the precious, most-infallible Wikipedia, we have the manufacturing life span of the Atari 2600, from 1977 to 1992, compared to the 1985-1995 life span of the NES and the 1983-2003 life span of the Famicom.

Also available from always-right Wikipedia, specs and the release date of the Commodore 64, detailing how it had scrolling and custom character sets, similar to the NES's tiles, and showing that it came out before the Famicom.

And here's a page from spiritual-healing Wikipedia on the Atari 7800, discussing its conception in 1984, its more "official" release in 1986, and its use of encryption to inhibit unauthorized code from running on the console.

And finally, the video game crash itself has its own page on Wikipedia, that bastion of world peace. The page does well to explain how Atari and its activities wasn't the only factors in the crash, even if it was the largest and most notorious player involved.

As for your other points, read carefully where I and others actually agreed they were true.

No you are thinking that I am being sarcastic instead of reading my posts. Now you are twisting it as if I consider Wiki the god of info. Let me do it more slowly for you:

IN ORDER TO CONVINCE THE MANY PEOPLE THAT A LOT OF THESE POINTS ON WIKI ARE WRONG THAT ARE WIDELY BELIEVED YOU NEED LINKS AND REFERENCES WHICH REGARDLESS OF HOW HORRIBLE YOU THINK THEY ARE WIKIPEDIA HAS AND PEOPLE USE THEM OVER RANDOMLY TYPED STUFF IN CONVERSATIONS. ESPECIALLY WITH FANBOYS OF CERTAIN COMPANIES.

Get that? What if I was a highly mighty Nintendo Fanboy, you know you would have to actually show me all the points are wrong instead of typing things (outside names of scrolling games)

This site has a habit, of posting links in one thread, and then many threads on the same topic later, decided multiple times, not to post any links and proof, as if everyone already knows were to look for them.

Again, say I was a Nintendo fanboy boy who came here and said these were FACTS bet you guys would put more effort into proving these posts wrong because what they will do, or any other fanboy will do in the mainstream, is link you to wikipedia, you will say it's wrong, and they will say were are your links and/or references? you are a revisionist.

No you are thinking that I am being sarcastic instead of reading my posts. Now you are twisting it as if I consider Wiki the god of info. Let me do it more slowly for you:

IN ORDER TO CONVINCE THE MANY PEOPLE THAT A LOT OF THESE POINTS ON WIKI ARE WRONG THAT ARE WIDELY BELIEVED YOU NEED LINKS AND REFERENCES WHICH REGARDLESS OF HOW HORRIBLE YOU THINK THEY ARE WIKIPEDIA HAS AND PEOPLE USE THEM OVER RANDOMLY TYPED STUFF IN CONVERSATIONS. ESPECIALLY WITH FANBOYS OF CERTAIN COMPANIES.

Okay. Did I not do that?

Because Nintendo had no interest in the european market.

Also, computer gaming was big in Europe. By 1985, when the last US consoles left the European store shelves, gaming magazines announced the death of console gaming.

At first when the SMS and the NES started to sell, gamers didn't pay attention to those weak 8 bits consoles; in 1986, the focus was all on the new 16/32 bits Atari ST and Amiga.

Sega in some country started to sell before Nintendo, so they grew up quicky, more than in Japan and the US. This was already market lost to Nintendo, too.

Then, much like the SMS in the US, before 1990, all NES were sold by third party companies; tthe mainones being Mattel and Bandai.

And Nintendo was mean to them; games prices were excessively high; the choice was low; Nintendo was getting ride of unsold US stocks mostly, so games were usually delayed a lot.

Ad quality would depend on the distributor. Nintendo will take direct control in 1990 only, surely for the SNES release on a market that was growing, and also on a market where Sega was getting big.

As usual, Bill makes some good points, but being neither as rational or mature as him, I will just edit his post to reflect my feelings...

While the hyperbole is excessive, at a basic level it's absolutely true that Nintendo and the NES revived videogames in the biggest market in the world, North America. What's also true is that other videogames never stopped selling in North America, but many companies did pull out of the market and there was excessive product dumping for a few years as a result. The NES was the right product, right approach, etc., at the right time to reignite excitement in videogames. While those of us who were fans of the pre-Crash systems lament the NES's rise, the fact of the matter remains that none of the pre-crash competitors were in a position to move the industry forward the way it needed to be. In other words, we probably needed the proverbial house to be cleaned to bring the industry to the heights that it was. Eventually the same thing happened on the computer side, where dozens of competitors eventually pared down to just a few competitors. Choice is good, but excessive choice does present a great deal of market confusion and retards growth until the market expands enough to support more competitors again.

> 7.Created the Modern gameing industry.

If we're talking about licensing and whatnot, then I guess they get the credit for that.

(Hell, it's doubtful the 7800 would have even been released without Nintendo, but that's a debate for another day.)

Atari Corp. announced the 7800 in January 1986 at CES before the NES even went nationwide. The narrative that's been created about them dusting off the 7800 because of the success of the NES doesn't add up. (The Master System was the last of the three to be announced in the US - Summer CES 1986.)

The XEGS, on the other hand, was a response, as illustrated in the ads for it.

I was going to say, he posted mere minutes after fuji posted many links. No way he actually read them. He was more interested in retaliating.

Maybe because I did not see that post but I guess this place has to keep up it's attack everyone rep.

Edited by Jakandsig

Personally, I was merely educating you. It's not really that important, at least to me, whether you believe me. I know what I believe to be true based on my own research and experience.

You have the benefit on this site of discussing the history of video games with many who have done LOTS of reasearch and are true authorities and have demonstrated credibility. Some even have direct knowledge of historical events.

If you need proof, you can go do the research and prove it yourself (I suggest going beyond Wikipedia back to things written at the time the events were occuring). If you want to doubt everything lacking footnote evidence, or want others to do your digging, maybe this isn't the right place to start with your research.

• Like 1

And he used wiki links, so know, me looking at only the first part of his post was right after a5ll, he did not read a darn think i said and does not get the point I am making.

You're right. I have no idea what point you're trying to make. You asked questions, neglecting to mention you wanted links and references. I and several others answered point by point, and in several cases agreed with your assertions. You then claimed we were revisionists because we didn't give sources. So I provided references from the very same source you claimed Nintendo fanboys would use to argue against the Atari. If that source isn't also good enough to argue for other consoles, then why bring it up in the first place?

If a Nintendo fan comes here asking these questions out of genuine curiousity, rest assured people here will answer thoroughly and respectfully. If they take the tone you have taken, they'll get the same treatment you have.

• Like 2

A lot of what people have stated so far, If you have played any games on a console before the Nes/Famicom you would know without needing facts(for instance games before the Famicom/Nes had no scrolling). for the Nes inventing the D-pad, the Donkey Kong Game and Watch and before that the Entex Select a game both had a D pad before the Nes . As for the Nes inventing side scrolling games,Defender(the first side scrolling shooter),Scramble,Haunted House, Jungle Hunt,Moon Patrol,Defender,Defender II/Stargate Chopper Command,Thrust,Vanguard,Marble Craze,Subterranea,,Mountain King,Jungle Hunt Road Runner Star Wars: TESB Barnstorming,Desert Falcon,Stampede, Pitfall, The Smurfs and others were side scrollers before the Nes came along.Also when the Famicom/Nes came out, there was still a Videogame market as the Casio PV-1000,7800, Vectrex, AdventureVision, Colecovision(etc) and the Sega SG-1000 (which coincidentally came out the same day as the Famicom) where already out and selling.There was still a videogame market, although it was very slim.

Here are pics so you can SEE proof and not READ it.

post-31091-0-63939500-1383352342_thumb.jpg

post-31091-0-45555000-1383353581_thumb.gif

Edited by xDragonWarrior
  • Like 1