IGNORED

Download BIOS - error writing block CRC

maiki

I wanted to change BIOS to PAL 50 and this is what happens when I select the eeloader_pal50.bin and click Download eeprom:

erboki.jpg

What is going on here and can I continue changing the BIOS?

update: Harmony is now not booting in the console...

Edited by maiki

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it was the timing issue (which does exist, but rarely affects anything) but I am suspecting something else now.

The computer that works 100% of the time has a USB hub. If I connect without a hub, I get these CRC issues sometimes. I think the problem is that the board is not getting quite enough power from USB. This only affects the newer USB chips I'm using since around September this year. I will see if there's a way to address this with the firmware in the USB chip, but for now, try to use a hub when updating firmware. It seems to work with either a powered or unpowered hub.

An alternative, also for now, is to use a USB hard drive cable - the kind with two USB plugs into the PC but one output. These give you more power to the device.

It's definitely a problem with USB power. The only real solution is to use a hub or a computer that provides sufficient power. Do not use a USB extension cable as this limits the power.

It is also possible to increase the power that the cartridge asks the USB port to deliver. However, you can only increase this to 100 ma (current setting is 90 ma) without requiring a hub as above. But, you can try it if you want to.

Note a few things first:

• If your Harmony cartridge is working properly, there is no need to do this.

• If you use a USB hub anyway, then there's no need to do this.
  • This ONLY affects Harmony cartridges purchased between early September, 2013 and November 7, 2013. All Harmony carts sold after November 7 include the changes below

Instructions:

1. Download and install FT_Prog from the FTDI website:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Utilities/FT_Prog_v2.8.2.0.zip

2. Launch the software.

3. Plug the Harmony into your PC.

4. Select "read and parse" either from the menu or the magnifying-glass button - it will read the USB configuration from your Harmony.

5. Click "USB_Config_Descriptors" and a window should appear. In the "Max Bus Power" window, change 90 to 100. 100 ma is the max it can ask the USB port for unless you are on a hub. You can try larger values but it probably won't make a difference.

6. Select "program" from the menu or the lightning bolt button. Click "program" in the window.

7. Shut down FT_Prog, unplug and reinsert your Harmony (driver reinstall may be necessary if serial number changes, though it's unlikely) and give it a try.

If you try any of the above, including a hub, hard drive cable, or the USB software, let me know how it works for you.

• 6 years later...
On 7/9/2020 at 12:15 PM, Jumbosinbad360 said:

Hi,

I just bought a Harmony cart off ebay.

I had a continuous spinning logo so I read i had to reflash the bios.

I keep trying to download the eeloader but it keeps saying error writing block 1....

Please help me!

Sometimes that happens to me too. I just do the download again, and often it will work. At times I have had to repeat it more than once. The problem appears to be with the programming software.

A new version of the programming software is in development that we hope will address this particular issue by automatically retrying several times when it encounters a CRC error, and allowing you to set the number of retries. For now just try again and it will eventually work. What also helps, if you are encountering this issue, is using a good cable (and, longer cables don't work as well as shorter cables, in general) and keeping it away from possible sources of interference.