IGNORED

GameStop sales tactics - bait and switch

Rev

I went to gamestop this morning. (Yeah i get what i deserve) LOL

I've been going there every week or so and picking some wii games on sale.

This time i bought 10 games and spent 40 bucks. A few games for 1.00!

Anyway, after choosing the best copies with stickers on the actual game cover and made sure every game had all manuals and inserts and in good shape. I went to pay. And when i was getting ready to pay, i decided to check the discs for scratches, which amazingly none of them were hardly bad at all, in fact most were in new unused shape.

Here is where the bait and switch come in to play.

3 of the games mysteriously had been switched to one with no manuals, and even one game: Capcom's Spyborg for 8.99 had been switched to a copy that had the generic gamestop cover and no manual!!!!!! WTF?

I told them " hey, where are the games i got from the shelves? I dont want this crap with no manuals" they gave me confused looks. (3 employees) like i was crazy for wanting the manuals and covers and they did nothing wrong. f'ing crooks

Then they had the balls to ask if i wanted to buy a warranty on the games for one dollar each! I told them the discs looked new on them and also why should i pay that when 4 of the games were under 3.00 anyway? And that if it didnt work in a year i would just toss it.

Ah, i love going to gamestop! :-)

Edited by revolutionika
  • Like 1

I've had a few bad times but most of the time I've had no issue.

I remember trying to buy Tron 2.0 a few years ago. I asked if they had a copy and sure enough they did. It apparently was classified as "new" and was a display copy. But they couldn't locate the case yet they were going to charge me the new price for the game. So not only did they open it but they weren't even going to give me the original case for it.

Another time I wanted Quake IV for the Xbox 360. I mainly wanted it to play Quake II which was a bonus that was a standard part of the package. I explained that and told them that I believed it was on a separate bonus disc. The clerk ringing me up wasn't sure and her colleague next to her assured her it was on the same disc. Got home and before opening it I checked online and sure enough it came on a bonus disc. Went back the next day and the same girl initially refused to give it to me until I jogged her memory of being lied to the day before.

Then not long ago I had a couple of dollars of cash on me and a bit of change. I used that to get a game that was priced at $2.99 or something like that. I didn't have any pennies and couldn't do exact change and was due a few cents back. Yet this 18 something clerk got flustered about a half dozen coins into the dozen I gave him as he was counting and gave up and put everything into the register. Not sure how one can't manage to count a dozen quarters, dimes, and nickels, but this one sure couldn't handle it.

Then another time I got burned on some GBA cartridges I ordered online that were bootlegs. I quickly learned how to identify a legitimate cartridge and would ask the few times I bought a used one at GameStop to look at it first. One time the clerk gave me a bizarre look, I explained why I was asking, yet he denied my request and said he "wasn't allowed to do that". So without saying a word, I just walked out.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

3 of the games mysteriously had been switched to one with no manuals, and even one game: Capcom's Spyborg for 8.99 had been switched to a copy that had the generic gamestop cover and no manual!!!!!! WTF?

They haven't had the balls to do that to me yet. Probably a good thing for their profits as I would have just told them to remove those things from my purchase.

Man, I was just reminiscing about Electronics Boutique (NOT E/B Games!) the other day. Too bad they got absorbed into GameStop...

It's horror stories like these that make me shy away from buying traded-in games. What gets me is that sometimes the new copy is just a few dollars more than a used (and obviously torn to shreds) copy. Why not just pay the extra couple of bucks?

Edited by Gregory DG
  • Like 1

Just remembered some details about the Spyborg game i was getting. It was 8.99 for a "new" copy.

But the one they switched it for was no cover or manual and 3.99.

When i asked about it they said you are saving money.

But I'm thinking to myself..... Why are they trying to sell me a cheaper copy? Isnt their goal to make money for the company they work for?

Weird.....

Well I suspect for their opened display copies that they make no distinction. The disc just goes in the same paper sleeves in the same behind the counter cabinet as they put used disc in it seems.

If your definition of new is what everyone else uses beyond GameStop, just stick with sealed copies. I just ask them if they have a sealed copy of whatever game I'm after. I don't even go looking for the display case since if I'm buying a new game, i want it still sealed and actually new.

Another screw up they did for me was when I wanted Metroid Prime Pinball game for the DS. I knew I didn't want Metroid Prime Hunters since I played the free demo of it that came with my DS and didn't like it (Just seemed plain and uninspired with PS1 era graphics and poor control options so I always quickly get bored). Anyways, I find a nice case and such and proceeded to buy it used.

But I didn't get around to it for quite sometime and sure enough they gave me Metroid Prime Hunters instead of what I bought when I finally played it. And despite several attempts, I still can't get into it despite loving the Metroid Prime games. And I have a sneaking suspicion it's not even a legitimate cartridge since the label is ever so slightly askew rather than perfect like every other game of mine.

I still need to find a loose copy of that one someday to go with the case I bought for it...

Edited by Atariboy

Man, I was just reminiscing about Electronics Boutique (NOT E/B Games!) the other day. Too bad they got absorbed into GameStop...

It's horror stories like these that make me shy away from buying traded-in games. What gets me is that sometimes the new copy is just a few dollars more than a used (and obviously torn to shreds) copy. Why not just pay the extra couple of bucks?

At Gamestop you mean? Probably because half the time the new copy is just as gutted as the used copy.

I haven't had too much trouble with this in the past. That said, it did happen to me when I picked up a few titles last month. Two had generic cases, while one was a special edition steel case. The guy swapped out one of the generic ones with a proper retail case, but then switched the steel case with a normal release. :?

So I'm not really sure what to make of it, but I suspect he was doing what was easiest/fastest. Given that Gamestop doesn't seem to place any value on the original game cases being included (which is BS), it's not surprising their employees would do stuff like this. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they are trained that the case/manual are not at all important.

In any event, I asked the guy to switch the stuff into the steel case and he did it w/o complaint - he even pulled the manual from the regular case and put it in the special edition (the SE was missing it). Ultimately, this event was not a big deal, but it's definitely something to watch out for.

-Rob

Edited by theredlineboss

I had the bait & switch thing happen to me last week. That was the first time they pulled it, too. I usually do the exact same thing...cherry pick the used games for the best case/unused instructions. Then when I get to the counter they give me a different case with no instruction booklet. The new case looked fine, so all I did was ask for an instruction booklet. Worked out alright, but I wouldn't have bought the game if it didn't meet my expectations.

Pulled the same shit on me with quake 4. That has been the only time i felt lied to and ripped off by gs.

I've had a few bad times but most of the time I've had no issue.I remember trying to buy Tron 2.0 a few years ago. I asked if they had a copy and sure enough they did. It apparently was classified as "new" and was a display copy. But they couldn't locate the case yet they were going to charge me the new price for the game. So not only did they open it but they weren't even going to give me the original case for it.Another time I wanted Quake IV for the Xbox 360. I mainly wanted it to play Quake II which was a bonus that was a standard part of the package. I explained that and told them that I believed it was on a separate bonus disc. The clerk ringing me up wasn't sure and her colleague next to her assured her it was on the same disc. Got home and before opening it I checked online and sure enough it came on a bonus disc. Went back the next day and the same girl initially refused to give it to me until I jogged her memory of being lied to the day before.Then not long ago I had a couple of dollars of cash on me and a bit of change. I used that to get a game that was priced at $2.99 or something like that. I didn't have any pennies and couldn't do exact change and was due a few cents back. Yet this 18 something clerk got flustered about a half dozen coins into the dozen I gave him as he was counting and gave up and put everything into the register. Not sure how one can't manage to count a dozen quarters, dimes, and nickels, but this one sure couldn't handle it.Then another time I got burned on some GBA cartridges I ordered online that were bootlegs. I quickly learned how to identify a legitimate cartridge and would ask the few times I bought a used one at GameStop to look at it first. One time the clerk gave me a bizarre look, I explained why I was asking, yet he denied my request and said he "wasn't allowed to do that". So without saying a word, I just walked out.

Everything "new" at Gamestop is OPENED and HAS STICKERS ALL OVER IT. That's lame.

. Everything doesnt have stickers. They give you sealed copies unless there is only one left..then you get the display case. Either you guys have some really shitty gamestops or everyone ive purchased from has been the exception. Edited by Skarrj

Everything "new" at Gamestop is OPENED and HAS STICKERS ALL OVER IT. That's lame.

Unless it's new product that they've removed the shrinkwrap on in order to sell it as used at an inflated price above MSRP like they've done with a few PS1/PS2/Wii reprints over the years, the vast majority of their new stock is still sealed in shrinkwrap.

They only open one of each to serve as a display copy so a thief can only get away with an empty case.

Edited by Atariboy

I will give them credit in that they have gotten much better about this. I still remember preordering Sudeki on original Xbox 1. Picked it up the day of release and got an opened copy.

They tried to get me on Etrian Odyssey IV back in Feb. They will still so it with more obscure games. I would have no issue with this if they would knock 10% off or whatever for it being an opened product. It's selling it as new (which they do still do) that gets me.

For the most part though, I've gotten good service from them. I do like it when I'm looking for an accessory or something (like a cable) and they'll offer to call around to the other locations for me.

But I'm thinking to myself..... Why are they trying to sell me a cheaper copy? Isnt their goal to make money for the company they work for?

What they did is actually in the interest of the company. They know the cheaper copy is harder to get rid of, so they're trying to pawn it off as quickly as possible. The more expensive and complete copies won't have as much issue being sold at a later time.

I don't think it's a "bait and switch" tactic as much as employees that don't know better. When I worked for EB and GameStop, the staff I had was very good to consider the collector habits of our customers. First and foremost, we would give out the best copy of the game available, with the case/disc/manual and all if possible. Once we sold the best copy off the shelf (assuming there wasn't a better copy behind the counter), we created a generic case and went from there. It wasn't that hard, really. However, the staff I had the opportunity to work with were all collector-gamers that cared about that stuff. Considering the shift videogaming has taken in mainstream retail chains in the last decade or so though (the cut of the N64 and Dreamcast, then PS1, and now PS2, XBOX, and Game Cube, leaving little other than the mainstream consoles offered), I can understand why incompetence is normality these days. It's one of the many reasons I no longer shop at or care for the chain.

For a time there were quite a few different game stores in my area but eventually GS bought them all and turned them into mirror images of each other. I hate them. For a few years I simply didn't buy games locally. Lately there have been a few retro/used gaming stores opening up. One of them is right down the street from my house and another is right by my workplace. The one down the street has been doing so well that they are branching into selling new games as well. So I take my business there, buy and trade everything from 2600 to 360 games, and they negotiate on price. I am known there for always driving a hard bargain but I am also known for being a regular and good customer. Typically when I want new shrink-wrapped games for modern systems I just get them from Amazon. I've never had an issue. For the last few years I also wait until the games I want are in the $10 - $15 price range because that is what they are usually worth by the time I open them.

I don't think it's a "bait and switch" tactic as much as employees that don't know better. When I worked for EB and GameStop, the staff I had was very good to consider the collector habits of our customers. First and foremost, we would give out the best copy of the game available, with the case/disc/manual and all if possible. Once we sold the best copy off the shelf (assuming there wasn't a better copy behind the counter), we created a generic case and went from there. It wasn't that hard, really. However, the staff I had the opportunity to work with were all collector-gamers that cared about that stuff. Considering the shift videogaming has taken in mainstream retail chains in the last decade or so though (the cut of the N64 and Dreamcast, then PS1, and now PS2, XBOX, and Game Cube, leaving little other than the mainstream consoles offered), I can understand why incompetence is normality these days. It's one of the many reasons I no longer shop at or care for the chain.

I beg to differ, I think it is planned...........for example........today I went again to take advantage of the Wii buy 2 get one free sale....yes im picking up toms of wii games!

So, i picked out a nice complete with cover and manual Metroid Prime 3 and i noticed he switched it from the drawer with one that had a generic gamestop case and no manual and set my nice one aside so they could put back on the shelf to trick the next customer.......but i asked nicely to have the one with the case and he did so no problem. i wasnt mad at all. but now i know why they do it......to get rid of the junky games with no cases or manuals.

no one can tell me it isnt planned.

Points taken (above). But if you're buying a NEW system, you also get one of their add-on stickers with bar code and "new" designation in small print. It's stuck RIGHT ON THE PRISTINE BOX of the new console. A little care and a hair dryer, and I was able to remove it. But it's still not cool that they do that. I suppose I buy a lot of old (but presumably N.O.S.) titles that I get this business of stickers (similar to the one on my new 3DS XL console) so much. I just don't get that at any other retailer. Hell, I don't want to plug Walmart, but that doesn't happen when I buy stuff there - for the same price as Gamestop.

Points taken (above). But if you're buying a NEW system, you also get one of their add-on stickers with bar code and "new" designation in small print. It's stuck RIGHT ON THE PRISTINE BOX of the new console. A little care and a hair dryer, and I was able to remove it. But it's still not cool that they do that. I suppose I buy a lot of old (but presumably N.O.S.) titles that I get this business of stickers (similar to the one on my new 3DS XL console) so much. I just don't get that at any other retailer. Hell, I don't want to plug Walmart, but that doesn't happen when I buy stuff there - for the same price as Gamestop.

I have a great way to deal with gamestop's HORRIBLE stickers all over the game cases....I throw them away and replace the with the crystal clear dvd cases I bought. I actually have replaced all of my modern games with these cases, even gamecube. They really make the collection shine! (all but my wii u games)