IGNORED

Atari 400 Aftermarket Replacement Keyboard Thread

wood_jl

1 hour ago, bfollowell said:

I know everyone has their own tastes and opinions, but I really can't begin to understand why anyone would want to ruin, in my opinion, the iconic, retro-futuristic look of the 400 by changing the keyboard, especially to any of the ugly ones (again, my opinion) I've seen in this thread. Don't get me wrong, if it was the early to mid-80s, and the 400 was your main and only computer, then yeah, I get it. These days though, who in the world is typing out the next great world novel on any Atari, especially a 400? If you really want an Atari with a better keyboard, get a 1200XL or an 800XL with the mechanical keyboard.

I know I'm probably in the minority, but I love the classic look of the 400 as it is.

I love the original keyboard too; but I also have a B-Key, which is a nice-looking keyboard. I plan to install the B-Key in a second machine, so I can have both.

BTW, with the one I just posted about, this is just a rough proto.

We’re just playing around with design. This is just a prototype at this point. Keyspacing, colors, and over layout are changing.

24 minutes ago, MrFish said:

I love the original keyboard too; but I also have a B-Key, which is a nice-looking keyboard. I plan to install the B-Key in a second machine, so I can have both.

BTW, with the one I just posted about, this is just a rough proto.

OK, so a trial, not quite ready for prime time. Hopefully, the final version will look better.

14 hours ago, MrFish said:

I saw this on Reddit the other day. 

Atari 400 Retrofit with Custom Mechanical Keyboard

1747510118_400keyboardretrofit.thumb.jpg.e9bc05a6a44853077a45efd095d8b972.jpg

That looks really nice. Not sure I would want to install one on my 400 as i like the membrane keyboard. However, I would love a set of key caps to make an Atari feeling keyboard for an emulation box

I don't like some of the layout choices, but a good mechanical keyboard while 'nailing' the style of the 400 like that....  That is the the most '400' style mechanical keyboard I've seen for a 400.

The idea I had is if a 'laptop' like keyboard assembly could somehow be repurposed and fit (or parts from one) to use square keys, like in MacBook Pros from ~8+ years ago.  I think the low profile of the keys would fit well with the 400 design.  Of course, the only way to get the artistic 400 look would be to somehow make/buy all new keycaps as well. 

But I like the key style of the reddit one.... match the layout of other Atari's better, and I'd most definitely be in the 'take my money' group ?

2 minutes ago, cwilbar said:

The idea I had is if a 'laptop' like keyboard assembly could somehow be repurposed and fit (or parts from one) to use square keys, like in MacBook Pros from ~8+ years ago.  I think the low profile of the keys would fit well with the 400 design.  Of course, the only way to get the artistic 400 look would be to somehow make/buy all new keycaps as well. 

I like the idea of low-profile laptop keys. It'd be a compromise; but possibly one worth making for aesthetic appeal.

agree on now 'displaying' the PCB.  matching beige would be best, black might be OK, I think white wouldn't be.  However, for that keyboard (but with a more conforming layout), I'd be willing to take on a challenge of coming up with my own solution to that problem.

The 400's membrane keyboard was ok at first (my first computer was a 400).... but after a while I tired of it quickly.

Looking at a original keyboard with light shining through, it looks like this is basically two mylar layers that make a conduction with pressure.  Wonder if it could be de-layered, and have a new keyboard type top with plungers and carbon pads.... though that isn't as good as a mechanical switch keyboard (IMHO).... and its probably just as much work to create (or more) as ones with switches.  But it was a curious passing thought.

• 7 months later...

Hello all, I am one of the developers of the custom mechanical keyboard you guys are talking about.  One of my reddit posts was linked on the previous page.  We read some of the feedback, and we agreed with much of it.  Figured this was a decent place to respond to the people who are interested in this project.

Fortunately, I found enough time to finish this project off.  One of the larger challenges was finding the right PCB color.  We decided to go with black, and use a 3d printed shroud that would cover it.  A black PCB works really well with this scheme.  The shroud provides better looks, and also helps with rigidity.

Overall typing on this machine is a dream.  I only used ‘Brown’ style switches in all of my testing.  Even with a little bit of tactile feedback, the machine was quite loud while typing.  Nothing too crazy.  If you used mechanical keyboards, it’s nothing you can’t handle.

As for the keyboard layout….  In order for a mechanical keyboard to fit, there needed to be some trade off regarding switch positions.  We found the B-Key to have one of the better lay outs.  It’s also pretty common among aftermarket 400 keyboards, so there will probably be a few people already familiar with the layout.  It keeps the 400 layout mostly intact, but moves only a few keys to the bottom row (CTRL, TAB, CAPS LWR, ESC, DEL).

We plan on selling a kit that includes everything you need (excluding caps, and switches?

·         Keyboard PCB (PN: KJ400).  Accepts Cherry MX switches.

·         Adapter Board (PN: Zookeeper)

·         Cable, connectors, headers, screws

·         3d Printed Shroud

·         Space Bar Stabilizer

·         File for keycap design(.svg).  Key caps, and switches will not be included in this kit.

We also plan on selling a service where we will assemble an entire keyboard, and sell as a package.  Because we will have to hand build all of these, they will come at a premium.  This service includes key caps, and Cherry MX Brown switches.  A website is being finalized that will be able to accept orders.

But honestly this not too difficult of a project to DIY.  If you have basic soldering skills, and a lot of patience, it’s not too bad to put together.  The only real PITA is the system keys.  These need to be soldered with the keyboard in place.  Regardless if you get the PCB kit, or the assembled kit, you will need to solder on the switches after the keyboard is in place.  It is just too much of a hassle to try to finesse the board into place with the system keys soldered on.

I’ve included some pictures of the final work we completed.  When we’re ready to sell them, I will post a link to our website (will post in the correct section, re: forum rules).  This will be within the next few weeks.  This is all homebrew, we’re just a team of two brothers working on this.  Let me know if you have any questions.

IMG_1895-1024x683.jpg

IMG_1906-1024x683.jpg

IMG_1908-1024x683.jpg

IMG_1904-blurred-1024x683.jpg

Edited by metrologia
  • Like 15

That's bad ass.  I have a second 400 here, poor guy has been used as a parts donor.  This KB would make me resurrect it as a 48kB machine - and if the Incognito 400 does ever come out, I'd have an even better machine.  The 400 (with b-key) was my first machine, August, 1982.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Ghostie said:

Decided to also give it a go and make a board for some low profile switches.
Need to wait till my next paycheck till I can get it ordered.
Making some custom keycaps that are 14x14mm and in the shape of the original keyboard keys.

now that's an idea I can get behind, low profile would look much better :thumbsup:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MrFish said:

The B-Key keyboards use low-profile keys; and I think they look the best of all the old aftermarket keyboards for the 400.

I have to agree, but that's certainly because my 1st computer was the 400 with all brown B-Key, which I got in 1982.  Never tried the original membrane keyboard, not sure I want to.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, mozzwald said:

Where are you getting the low profile keycaps from?

I designed some myself. Since How I laid everything out the keycaps need to be about 14x14mm.

If the ones I made don't turn out I'll search  around for some pre made ones.

If you know of any key caps that would work let me know! ^-^

image.thumb.png.77ed6d1f28b02f5198581b4c670c995f.png

image.png

• Like 1