IGNORED

Atari 400 Aftermarket Replacement Keyboard Thread

wood_jl

24 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Holy shit-balls.  Is that for real?  That's the ugliest thing I have ever seen.  Please don't tell me that turd just sat on top of the membrane kb underneath?

It is rather nasty looking. ?  And no, don't worry - it replaces the membrane keyboard altogether.  Interestingly, I think the maroon key-tops are an option - the one I have is a slightly less hideous grey.  Also note the "Tara" on the inverse key.  Mr Fish pointed out, Inhome avoided using the Atari logo on their keyboard as well.

1371975610_400withTarakeyboard.thumb.jpg.9d36c7138b1f1a5a4c96f1fe4fc93a97.jpg

Edited by jacobus
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, jacobus said:

It is rather nasty looking. ?  And no, don't worry - it replaces the membrane keyboard altogether.  Interestingly, I think the maroon key-tops are an option - the one I have is a slightly less hideous grey.  Also note the "Tara" on the inverse key.  Mr Fish pointed out, Inhome avoided using the Atari logo on their keyboard as well.

1371975610_400withTarakeyboard.thumb.jpg.9d36c7138b1f1a5a4c96f1fe4fc93a97.jpg

Yeah, looks a lot better without the red. But that thing really stands off the computer a lot.

How does the keyboard itself feel/function?

People were still used to mechanical and even electrical typewriter keyboards which usually sat 2-4 inches above the desk (and offices still had proper lowered typewriter desks to allow for correct arm/elbow position when typing. So that keyboard looked far less raised in the 80s than it does now.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

• Like 1

some of these came with a bezel, some came with evil industrial metal fixtures that resembled electrical box moulding.... makes you wonder if they decided not to use all of the kit sometimes, although many came with nothing at all....

Edited by _The Doctor__

• 1 month later...
On 11/2/2013 at 8:37 PM, jacobus said:

The first one is most certainly the "B Keyboard" from Inhome Software (Burlington, Ontario, Canada). It came in at least two versions and had replaceable keys so you could choose the single or multi-coloured look. Retail price was $150 (see receipt). if anyone wants a scan of the printed materials, please let me know.

post-11281-0-03648000-1383442580_thumb.jpg

Image 1 shows the complete version 2 package with single colour keys.

post-11281-0-60076000-1383442374_thumb.jpg

Image 2 shows the version 1 package with multi coloured keys along with an extra version 2 keyboard. Note the bag of extra brown key caps.

I just got my hands on a 400...the first computer from my youth.  Can I still get one of these from anyone?

• 3 months later...

This has been a fun thread.   My original 400 was eventually upgraded with a 1200 keyboard in one of the Radio Shack keyboard kits they sold.

But for the record, while the keyboard is nothing close to a touch type keyboard, the 400 was a great keyboard for a low cost game machine and my first computer.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A surplus 1200XL keyboard could be wired in parallel with the membrane. It wouldn't ruin the 400's looks and it would provide laptop typing.

I did that BITD with my 800. A ribbon cable and D connector are wired directly to the motherboard. The gap between plastic case halves is filed open enough for the ribbon to pass through.

IMG_20201103_224926.jpg

Edited by ClausB

5 hours ago, ClausB said:

I did that BITD with my 800. A ribbon cable and D connector are wired directly to the motherboard. The gap between plastic case halves is filed open enough for the ribbon to pass through.

I did that BITD(~30 years ago) for my original 400 as well, I removed the 4051 chips on the keyboard and connected via DB25/ribbon cable to the keyboard connector solder pads.

If I were to do it today I would use a DA15 and connect to POKEY/other points, without the keyboard modification.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BillC said:

I did that BITD(~30 years ago) for my original 400 as well, I removed the 4051 chips on the keyboard and connected via DB25/ribbon cable to the keyboard connector solder pads.

If I were to do it today I would use a DA15 and connect to POKEY/other points, without the keyboard modification.

Yes, I used a D15. The two sets of 4051s can coexist. I wasn't sure they would, because with most 74LS chips you never connect outputs together, but with these it's OK.

• 1 month later...

Here are some pics of that never before seen 400 keyboard overlay.  I snagged this unit of eBay -- my very first 400.  Just took 40 some years.  Its hard to tell from these pics, but the black plastic is bevelled around the outside edge so it sits nicely on the 400.  There are no plastic mold markings telling me where it might have been made.  The membrane almost looks cut by hand on the one edge.  Very odd thing.

IMG_5941.thumb.jpg.087a3603af908a854da0931c653c05db.jpg

IMG_5942.thumb.jpg.586e6f8c8d5c8e0371a2ee8606a3c851.jpg

IMG_5943.thumb.jpg.ade9500e6fb4f330caf22c91843de567.jpg

IMG_5940.thumb.jpg.a82921ee36bc8e31172247c98fbf239a.jpg

• Like 4

• 9 months later...
28 minutes ago, cwilbar said:

I'd like to know more about that one on reddit.

If anyone figures out anything more, post it here for all interested in knowing more about it.

If you click on the OP's name, it takes you to this page, which has more information. 

nicm125

He's interested in producing them. I think he should be persuaded to put up an interest-check thread here; because I'm pretty sure he'd get more response here than on Reddit.

• Like 1

I know everyone has their own tastes and opinions, but I really can't begin to understand why anyone would want to ruin, in my opinion, the iconic, retro-futuristic look of the 400 by changing the keyboard, especially to any of the ugly ones (again, my opinion) I've seen in this thread. Don't get me wrong, if it was the early to mid-80s, and the 400 was your main and only computer, then yeah, I get it. These days though, who in the world is typing out the next great world novel on any Atari, especially a 400? If you really want an Atari with a better keyboard, get a 1200XL or an 800XL with the mechanical keyboard.

I know I'm probably in the minority, but I love the classic look of the 400 as it is.

Edited by bfollowell