IGNORED

Let's Play! The MOUSE TRAP High Score Competition! Prizes!

Rev

I can't really say. Here are some tips, though:

On level 1, it basically just gets progressively faster. It's important to learn the door buttons pretty early on, so they are second nature. There are "safe places" that you can run between. You can actually box yourself in (although the cats tend to just hover until you come out), but there are also other areas (the corners) where if you stay away from the doors the cats don't seem to figure out how to get in (until you get close to the doorway).

When things get hairy, use your super dog power. Keep your thumb on the dog button at all times and only move from that position when opening doors. You need to be able to go Doggie Style pretty fast in a pinch.

At faster speeds and when most or all of the cats are out and chasing, it gets kinda laggy, which makes it really hard to play, but if you turn into a dog and bit a few cats (reducing their numbers), then it's gets smoother again. Try to time you doggy power to kill as many cats as possible as it takes them a few seconds to respawn. This makes the map easier for a few minutes. When you go dog, they will try to run from you, but you can typically box 2-3 of them in a corner and take them all out pretty quickly. Think Pac-man herding ghosts after eating the big pill.

Every 20,000 points you get a new life, but you get 10,000 points for finishing a level, so on average you earn around at least 1 life every two maps. With all bonuses, you can earn 2 every 3 maps or so. The red bonus items always appear in a fixed order of 4 potential locations (first the top right, then the bottom left, etc). If you figure this out, you can try to clear the map by starting in the upper right (where the first bonus item is), then work to where the next one appears and so on. If you die, the cycle starts over with the bonus item in the top right again. I still don't have this down too well yet, but if I could unlearn/relearn I'd recommend clearing the map in that order. It will make your score grow faster. I'm sort of stuck clearing the map the way I got good at it, so if I try to deviate I die a lot...especially with those fast kitties.

I have only played level 1 so far, but if you play level 2, 3, or 4 there is a hawk. I have no idea how it behaves, so good luck with that :-D I'd stick to level one for high scoring, although I don't know if higher levels allow you to score faster or not.

As far as how well you have to do to beat me ;-) Uhhhhm......so maybe we use Scalpel's score for reference. He has around 1,123,500 on the leaderboard. On difficulty level 1, you earn around 14,000 to 20,000 points per map. You can clear a map in around 3-5 minutes, so let's do some maths:

1,123,500 points / 15,000 pts per map = ~75 maps

75 maps * 5 min per map = 375 min, or around 6 hours and 15 min :-o

However, if you play wisely, and are on the higher scoring end of things:

1,123,500 points / 20,000 pts per map = ~56 maps

56 maps * 3 min per map = ~168 min, or just under 3 hours :cool:

Unless higher levels allow you to score faster (or if I'm missing some secret to scoring), you're looking at putting in at least an 8 hour day to really compete for the top. I'm sure Scalpel will best his previous score pretty quickly if he hasn't already ;)

In case you're wanting more maths.....

8 hours (or 480 minutes) / 3 min per map = 160 maps

160 maps * ~19,000 points per map = ~3,000,000 points

......which should easily put you in the top 5 IMHO. That being said, hardly anyone is uploading scores, so maybe 1,000,000 will put you in the top 5 :ponder:

All of this, of course, is just an estimation of time required and my prediction (or guess) of what the scoring profile will look like in the end. Now staying alive all that time is a different story.....good luck :jango:

Edited by JasonlikesINTV

I can't really say. Here are some tips, though:

On level 1, it basically just gets progressively faster. It's important to learn the door buttons pretty early on, so they are second nature. There are "safe places" that you can run between. You can actually box yourself in (although the cats tend to just hover until you come out), but there are also other areas (the corners) where if you stay away from the doors the cats don't seem to figure out how to get in (until you get close to the doorway).

When things get hairy, use your super dog power. Keep your thumb on the dog button at all times and only move from that position when opening doors. You need to be able to go Doggie Style pretty fast in a pinch.

At faster speeds and when most or all of the cats are out and chasing, it gets kinda laggy, which makes it really hard to play, but if you turn into a dog and bit a few cats (reducing their numbers), then it's gets smoother again. Try to time you doggy power to kill as many cats as possible as it takes them a few seconds to respawn. This makes the map easier for a few minutes. When you go dog, they will try to run from you, but you can typically box 2-3 of them in a corner and take them all out pretty quickly. Think Pac-man herding ghosts after eating the big pill.

Every 20,000 points you get a new life, but you get 10,000 points for finishing a level, so on average you earn around at least 1 life every two maps. With all bonuses, you can earn 2 every 3 maps or so. The red bonus items always appear in a fixed order of 4 potential locations (first the top right, then the bottom left, etc). If you figure this out, you can try to clear the map by starting in the upper right (where the first bonus item is), then work to where the next one appears and so on. If you die, the cycle starts over with the bonus item in the top right again. I still don't have this down too well yet, but if I could unlearn/relearn I'd recommend clearing the map in that order. It will make your score grow faster. I'm sort of stuck clearing the map the way I got good at it, so if I try to deviate I die a lot...especially with those fast kitties.

I have only played level 1 so far, but if you play level 2, 3, or 4 there is a hawk. I have no idea how it behaves, so good luck with that :-D I'd stick to level one for high scoring, although I don't know if higher levels allow you to score faster or not.

As far as how well you have to do to beat me ;-) Uhhhhm......so maybe we use Scalpel's score for reference. He has around 1,123,500 on the leaderboard. On difficulty level 1, you earn around 14,000 to 20,000 points per map. You can clear a map in around 3-5 minutes, so let's do some maths:

1,123,500 points / 15,000 pts per map = ~75 maps

75 maps * 5 min per map = 375 min, or around 6 hours and 15 min :-o

However, if you play wisely, and are on the higher scoring end of things:

1,123,500 points / 20,000 pts per map = ~56 maps

56 maps * 3 min per map = ~168 min, or just under 3 hours :cool:

Unless higher levels allow you to score faster (or if I'm missing some secret to scoring), you're looking at putting in at least an 8 hour day to really compete for the top. I'm sure Scalpel will best his previous score pretty quickly if he hasn't already ;)

In case you're wanting more maths.....

8 hours (or 480 minutes) / 3 min per map = 160 maps

160 maps * ~19,000 points per map = ~3,000,000 points

......which should easily put you in the top 5 IMHO. That being said, hardly anyone is uploading scores, so maybe 1,000,000 will put you in the top 5 :ponder:

All of this, of course, is just an estimation of time required and my prediction (or guess) of what the scoring profile will look like in the end. Now staying alive all that time is a different story.....good luck :jango:

Just need to know : more you have points more is fast or more you're going up in the maps more is fast (Arrgghhh, I don't know how to explain in English, hope it's clear, sorry for my crap English, I need to spend a couple of months in Canada or US ^^)

Just need to know : more you have points more is fast or more you're going up in the maps more is fast (Arrgghhh, I don't know how to explain in English, hope it's clear, sorry for my crap English, I need to spend a couple of months in Canada or US ^^)

I think what you're trying to say is that the maps move faster as your score increases, so the required time per map decreases as the game progresses. If I remember correctly, your mouse character always moves at the same speed regardless of how far you are in the game. Only the cats speed up throughout the game. I could be wrong about this....maybe I'll double check.

I think what you're trying to say is that the maps move faster as your score increases, so the required time per map decreases as the game progresses. If I remember correctly, your mouse character always moves at the same speed regardless of how far you are in the game. Only the cats speed up throughout the game. I could be wrong about this....maybe I'll double check.

Thanks ! I found my English Teacher :)

Time for updated maths! My earlier calculations were rough guesses, so I did some time trials of completing maps (all on the easy level).

Time:

I can make it through a map (without dying) in around 45 seconds. If I die it's more like 1 to 1.5 min. This is much shorter than my earlier estimates of 2-5 minutes. If you die a lot and take your time, you can probably stretch it out to 5 min ;-) .

Completely clearing a map and only picking up 1-2 bonus items (and biting a few cats) should net you 18,500 to 20,000 points each map.

Using this rate, an ambitious player should be able to score 3 million points in:

3,000,000 points / 19,000 points per map = 158 maps

158 maps * 1.5 min per map = 237 minutes (or ~4 hours)

This is much less time than the 8 hours I originally suggested! Totally doable :grin: