IGNORED

3DO Controller Question

Hey all. I bought a 3DO Controller, but after I bought it, I noticed that it was from Japan, which leads me to my question: Will it work on an NTSC-U 3DO? I ask this because I know 3DO Controllers use a voltage kind of thing, which is why Genesis Controllers won't work on it, and will fry it in fact. Here's the controller in question:

Capcom-pad-3DO.jpg

Are there any other 6 button 3do pads? That one's a little strange.

Yes, but I doubt that many others will "work" with Street Fighter. The button that acts as your medium-strength punch is the P(ause) button, and this Capcom pad's the only six-button I've seen that places that button where you need it to be. Most pads put it in the center of the controller, and have X/Cancel (which pauses SF2) up in that position among the action buttons.

• 4 years later...

What about the games? What do other games that use the 6-button think the Middle Punch button is? P or X?

The 3DO fight stick from Panasonic have the middle punch as P, not X.

Street Fighter wants the P. What do other games want?

The reason I am asking is because I am getting a custom fight stick made, and was wondering were there enough games that used the X button as an auxiliary and the P as pause where it would be wiser to put X in the middle punch position, or enough of both types where a switch is advisable. I'm planning ahead. Are there enough games where X is the preferred controller in the "middle punch slot"?

I'm afraid of accidentally pausing in a game, and think maybe P should be put to the side as a pause button should be. if nothing else, a switch might be handy for that. Therefore mapping X to it would prevent premature pausing.

I heard Primal Rage is one. Any others? Or am I being too much of a worrywart and should use the MP=P standard used in the Panasonic Joystick?

Samurai Shodown uses 4 buttons. Which 4? A, B, C, and maybe L or R.

• 3 weeks later...

...I'm planning ahead. Are there enough games where X is the preferred controller in the "middle punch slot"?

I'm afraid of accidentally pausing in a game...

It's a good thing to plan ahead. You don't wanna look like a doofus. You look like a man with a plan.

Edited by flatfoot
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The reason why I'm looking for a PCB wiring is becuase the 3D Zero SNES adapter doesn't accurately do one of the 5 games I own. PaTaank is the one where the controller acts funny no matter where in the chain it is, even if it's the only controller in the chain. I would get a tototek, except I have 2 problems wit it. 1, no dasiy chain, and 2, needs to configurable so that P and X can eb middle punch.