IGNORED

Intellivision II and Burger Time graphics problem

Tuba_Gamer88

Is this only for BurgerTime? It looks like it's more than just the chef. If BT is the only game exhibiting this problem, it could simply be cracked solder on the chip connection in the cart itself, or crud on the cart -- but you've cleaned it.

If it's only BurgerTime:

1. Even more cleaning. Look for broken / cracked traces on the PCB.
  2. Open the cart and look for any cracked solder and reflow the solder points.

If multiple games seem to be affected, it's possibly a bad STIC or GRAM. Seems to be going around lately. My troubleshooting approach in that case would be something like this:

1. Check the seating of the STIC and GRAM chips in the unit.
  2. Check the solder points for those chips and possibly reflow.
  3. If those fail, check GRAM and STIC.

I just took apart my non-functioning Super Pro System to see if I could possibly bring it back to life. Unfortunately, no joy so far. I was able to test the transformer/power supply (all checked out with correct voltages, etc.). I pulled out the board, but all ICs seem to be properly seated. The only other thing I can see to try (at least according to the 2609 Service Manual I found), was to use the MTE-201 test cart (which I don't have - just a ROM). Anyone know of any other way to test individual chips?

One other thing, in my Super Pro System, I have different (probably just later revision) different chip: U6 (PSG) is AT-3-8916

Swapping the chips with another known working unit is the only real way to test them.

Unfortunately, IC logic problems with the GI chips are all too common failures in Intellivision units. The system RAM, sound chip and STIC seem to be especially prone to failure. System RAM and the STIC are the first chips on the replacement list in the service manual for diagnosing consoles displaying corrupted graphics, followed by GROM and GRAM. These chips run rather on the warm side, and there is limited airflow within the console.

- J

Actually taking another look at the screenshots - The Intellivision font is OK, it's the custom graphics that are a bit screwed up. While it's more likely a logic issue (STIC or GRAM), there is a chance it is the cartridge slot itself, it may have a bent or oxidised pin or just need a good clean. Get some Deoxit contact cleaner and spray a bit in there, then insert and remove a cartridge or a piece of cardboard a few times. Deoxit is also good for cleaning the sockets and chips if you take the option of disassembling the unit to reseat the chips. (Word of warning - getting into the logic boards is a PITA, as it is soldered closed. You need to desolder it using an iron and desoldering braid/sucker.)

- J

Edited by HunterZero