IGNORED

How do you open an Atari XEGS cartridge?

3DOMan

Is there an easy way to do this? I have a game cartridge with pieces rattling around inside. Not a huge problem, but something like this just drives me crazy. Grrr

I'm having not much luck opening it up here, no screwholes or anything so I'm assuming it's either epoxied or it's snapped together like a neo geo cartridge. Luckily this is one of the cheaper games so it's easily replaceable if anything goes wrong,

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No, they have plastic clips on the sides. Getting them open without breaking the clips is next to impossible. The rattling is usually small bits of plastic. They don't hurt anything but they are kind of annoying. You might me able to fish them out by the edge connector if you are lucky.

Mitch

• 3 years later...

My apologies for bumping an old topic, but this is the first result when you google "opening Atari XE cartridge".

I took the challenge of opening one of these. Here's some pics-

T2KO0iN.jpg

Xu0c21A.jpg

xK2Wkgm.jpg

The rattling was a glob of hot melt glue that had broken loose. I'm willing to bet that's the rattle you hear in any of these.

I used a Lego brick separator and started at the bottom. As you can see, I ended up breaking one of the clips in the process, but it still went back together so tight you would never notice.

I would recommend using a strong spudger, but be careful on the cart plastic as it's a bit prone to denting. The clips sit into a recessed area in the top half of the cart, so you'll want to pop one side open (maybe by pushing on the bottom half where the clips are) and then open it like a hinge.

Wow...minus a screw in the center of the back, those are just like mini 5200 carts! The 5200 carts have the same clips on them, but since they are larger they are easier to open up. I will have to remember this if I've ever a need to open up an XE cart.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I read somewhere else a method of placing the bottom half of the cart shell into a vice grip, and gently squeezing the case from the sides to allow the top of the shell to release without breaking any of the tabs.

It works for Nintendo-produced Famicom carts (Irwin QuickGrips).
  • Like 1