IGNORED

Jag Music

Der Luchs

Hi Folks,

someone from this Forum asked me to do some Jag Music...

Who could that be ^^

For VirtualJaguar: make sure you have the DSP enabled in the settings

Ok, here we go, with some bitter sweet dissonance. I love it, roar ^^

HAVE FUN!

Thanx to U-235 for the SoundEngine and the Example :) :thumbsup:

Der Luchs - An Ode To Masematte.rar

Edited by Der Luchs
  • Like 5

The beginning sounds like a horror film. It kinda flows into an off-kilter platformer kinda theme. Would be good for a game called: Squoobie the Sea Urchin :)

That's one insanely awesome title ! I have no idea what squoobie or urchin means, but it sounds ominuos :)

Shoot me a few sprites, and I'll whip up some short demo in VRBasic :)

I'm glad that you like it ;) :thumbsup:

I'll post another Song tomorrow or the next days, after that I'll continue to play around with the Intellivison Tracker.

Not all Music for Consoles are as simple to make as for the Jaguar...

So... I don't know who's here, maybe the Reboot guys... or let's say, to all Jag Coders:

if you need Music for the Jag, feel free to PM me :thumbsup:

There are a few chip tune trackers out there for the likes of the ST and Falcon. I have considered supporting the formats of one or two of these directly. As the Jag doesn't have any FM sound hardware at all, there isn't a Jag specific tracker.. There are plenty of other trackers out there however, so supporting stuff that already exists is a lot quicker.. for now at least. Perhaps in time if a Jag specific sound system gets created a tracker will too.

"Jerry" Chip, 26.59 MHz

• Digital Signal Processor – 32-bit RISC architecture, 8 KB internal cache
    • Similar RISC core as the GPU, additional instructions intended for audio operations
  • CD-quality sound (16-bit stereo)
    • Number of sound channels limited by software
    • Two DACs (stereo) convert digital data to analog sound signals
    • Full stereo capabilities
  • Wavetable synthesis, FM synthesis, FM Sample synthesis, and AM synthesis...

WIKI...

Yep ATARI trackers (maxYMiser, RMTtracker, ACETracker) players for JAG will be nice...

Or what about this one opensource FM tracker...

http://archive.fmsynthesis.com/?dir=Power-FM

By coder who made YM tracker for Windows...

I can write Him for sources...

The description on Wikipedia is wrong, or at least misleading. The audio hardware is really primitive (it doesn't even do DMA), and doesn't support any kind of hardware synthesis. Wavetable, FM and AM synthesis are possible, but it must be 100% done in software. There's some sample code from Atari that does this, but AFAIK it hasn't been used in homebrew games (they all use MOD players).

Can't blame Wikipedia though, this kind of misinformation came from Atari themselves...

• Like 4

I have already written a YM emulator in the DSP (just needs a few tweaks to finish off, pretty simple to code actually, only took a few hours from scratch).. I have plans to play a bit more with synth type stuff in future. I have plenty of other jag stuff to be working on however, so it's all going to be done on the "when I feel like it" time scale :D

If you want to try your hand at some DSP coding Matej, that'd be cool, it's quite good fun I find :D

• Like 2