IGNORED

Rally - WIP

Ed Fries

• 9 months later...

We were next to the stage which made it so loud that I didn't realize that build had background music! I did see a lot of people playing it.

Don't know if you're aware of it, but your radar was the inspiration for Draconian's radar. The original build looked like this:

attachicon.gifdraconian_20.png

After some revisions it ended up like this:

attachicon.gifdraconian4.png

although it's an old thread, at least we inspired the radar in this great game

http://www.atariware.cl/aw/foro/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=713&start=175

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

We'll be featuring Rally-X LIVE on tomorrow's (Friday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 7PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: http://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:
- Rally-X (2014 WIP) by Ed Fries
- Yahtzee (2015 Hack Fix) by alex_79
- Dominant Amber (2016) by Rick Skrbina aka Wickeycolumbus
- Isaiah's Wii Chase (2008) by Chris Read aka atari2600land

UPDATED with YouTube Archive of Stream:

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 3

I'm late to the conversation since I never noticed this WIP before. I've never played the original game, so my comments are only based on this version.

It's a lot of fun, and I hope the completed version gets released on cart! I find the tac map a little difficult to read (blue on blue for your own car). I wonder if the game would play a little better if it were sped up slightly, too - but again, I've never played the original for comparison.

Once you get to level 3 it speeds up to a pretty good pace and plays a little better in my opinion. The first couple levels are a little slow but just like you I haven't played the original game yet.

I'm late to the conversation since I never noticed this WIP before. I've never played the original game, so my comments are only based on this version.

It's a lot of fun, and I hope the completed version gets released on cart! I find the tac map a little difficult to read (blue on blue for your own car). I wonder if the game would play a little better if it were sped up slightly, too - but again, I've never played the original for comparison.

• 4 years later...
On 2/22/2014 at 3:31 AM, mamejay said:

Here is what I have so far. The copy on the back is probably not the best but I have a photoshop template to modify the box whichever way people want.

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n532/jmicari/Rally-Silver-Box-Front_zps023ded66.gif

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n532/jmicari/Rally-Silver-Box-Back_zps4f729d8c.gif

Can anyone who knows please tell me, just for reference purposes, should Rally-X be categorized as licensed or unlicensed?  

On 11/10/2013 at 2:18 AM, WildBillTX said:

Pleeze NO Radar Rat Race port! :-o

I didn’t know what Radar Rat Race was so I looked it up and according to Wikipedia (and TCRF), it turns out that the original Vic-20 version was developed by HAL Laboratory, Inc., the same people who went on to do the Kirby games. WHAT. 

Edited by The21zonz
Added an extra source
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, The21zonz said:

I didn’t know what Radar Rat Race was so I looked it up and according to Wikipedia (and TCRF), it turns out that the original Vic-20 version was developed by HAL Laboratory, Inc., the same people who went on to do the Kirby games. WHAT. 

Funny thing is Radar Rat Race was recently ported to Pico-8 (probably with some improvements, but still).

Yes, in the beginning HAL Laboratory made hires graphics hardware for a couple personal computers like Sharp MZ-80K, NEC PC-8001 and Commodore PET, as well as porting games to those, perhaps in particular PET and VIC-20.

https://vgmrips.net/wiki/HAL_Laboratory

A couple of those games seem to have been licensed within Japan, but not for selling abroad. Commodore took their chances and set aside money to pay Atari when they would threaten with legal action. Games such as Jelly Monsters (Pac-Man) and Star Battle (Galaxian) were withdrawn and to some part reworked to be non-infringing. In the case of Rally-X, it was sold under that title in Japan but Commodore decided to replace the cars with mice and reskin it immediately upon international launch, which they apparently got away with. It seems Midway had the international arcade rights but I don't know if Atari or someone else carried the rights for home versions, or if it fell into a void unlike e.g. Pac-Man.

1 hour ago, Paolo said:

I had Radar Rat Race on the VIC20 and I always wondered why-oh-why they could write a whole game and miss one in a 9 notes riff (of mostly similar notes, and that should be equal to the very first three notes)

Speaking of Radar Rat Race, I fixed my other post so the video is embedded again. (A forum upgrade messed it up.)

youtube.com/watch?v=1LRkON9XTOk

• Like 3