IGNORED

Rally - WIP

Ed Fries

Green gets my vote... A lot of blue in the car's tires already, and they get a little lost with a blue background. Ditto for orange and the car's body.

Whichever gets the nod, I'm a guaranteed sale. Rally X takes me back to third-grade birthday parties at Chuck E Cheese like no other game. Can't wait to buy this.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for the long delay between updates. This version adds music during gameplay. According to Wikipedia "The first video game to feature continuous, melodic background music was Rally-X". So I figured I had to add it. This is the version Al showed a few weeks ago at the Classic Gaming Fest in Austin. As always your feedback is appreciated.

any new news on this one Ed????

• 2 months later...

I'm going to be demoing Rally X at the Classic Game Fest in Austin this weekend, and I'm working on 8" x 10" display placards for the games. The placards have two screenshots for each game, and as I'm a bit frantic at the moment (I have to create tons of these placards, along with many other items), it would be awesome if someone could take a few different screenshots for me and post them here.

Thanks!

..Al

Al, will this be out in the next batch of homebrews?

This is exactly how I pictured Rally-X would look on the 2600. Graphics and Gameplay are a charm! I would definitely buy one of these. Great work, Ed.

P.S. I love the traditional silver label the best, following that would be the blue label.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Sorry to bump an old thread - but I just discovered this and had to comment:- What a great port of a classic arcade game, and all in 4K. I have managed 12,900 so far - but am looking forward to bettering this with some practice. One question for Ed:- Am I right to assume that the enemy cars are multiplexed (same as the ghosts in Tod Frey's Pac-Man) as software sprites are beyond the scope of working in the 4K enviroment? - All so to Ed, well done for keeping the original spirit of Atari 2600 gaming alive by not relying on DSP+, extra RAM,etc... and showing what can be achieved with basic hardware.

edit :- best score now 26,400

Edited by ravenxau

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for the long delay between updates. This version adds music during gameplay. According to Wikipedia "The first video game to feature continuous, melodic background music was Rally-X". So I figured I had to add it. This is the version Al showed a few weeks ago at the Classic Gaming Fest in Austin. As always your feedback is appreciated.

I tried this one just now. Pretty nice, but I don't think the music was done well (it's not really pleasing to my ears, unlike BGMs from say, Chetiry and Juno First, plus the rhythm seems a bit off from the arcade version). I'd also much prefer the music from New Rally-X.

Is that version the final version by the way? Not sure if the game stops progressing after all the levels.

Edited by Tangentg

• 1 month later...

Piss everybody off and turn it into Radar Rat Race:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LRkON9XTOk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LRkON9XTOk

And remember to add the annoying repetitive off-key Three Blind Mice tune that makes you want to leap into a wood chipper after playing for less than 5 minutes. :D

This must have been the very first COMPUTER game I played (so not arcade or console)..... I wasn't very impressed either then.... :D

• Like 2

• 11 months later...