IGNORED

PS4\Xbox One Hard drive upgrades

cimerians

Anyone getting a launch unit(s) should probably do this right away. 500GB is not enough for these new consoles.

Here's the PS4 info:

http://kotaku.com/upgrade-your-playstation-4-or-3-with-a-solid-state-dr-1459838495

The 1TB Seagate Hybrid is the best option IMO since it's cheap and SSD doesn't really do much on a console other than blazing fast load screens IMO.

I am just going to wait until I fill up the stock hard drive and then add an external drive as needed.

Replacing a 500 gb drive with a 1tb drive just means that you pay 1tb prices for 500gb of additional storage.

How large are the games for the new consoles? Most 360 games fit on one dvd, even if the new games double in size there should still be room for 20+ games.

• Like 1

I am just going to wait until I fill up the stock hard drive and then add an external drive as needed.

Replacing a 500 gb drive with a 1tb drive just means that you pay 1tb prices for 500gb of additional storage.

How large are the games for the new consoles? Most 360 games fit on one dvd, even if the new games double in size there should still be room for 20+ games.

I tend to agree but I keep hearing "mandatory installs" on every game along with 20-40GB here and there....which will add up pretty quickly.

I heard Battlefield 4 on PS4 was 34GB and if thats true I think other games will follow......

Waiting is what I was going to do but I don't want to have to bother with transfering data later on. Since I only bought one console right now I can afford to get an extra hard drive with it.

The PS4 won't support external drives.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/30/ps4-the-ultimate-faq-north-america/#sect1

Will users be able to replace PS4’s stock 500GB hard drive? What hard drive sizes are supported?

PS4 owners will be able to replace PS4’s standard hard drive. PS4’s hard drive is used to store downloaded game and video content, game save files, gameplay movies and images, and more.

What type of hard drive does PS4 use?

PS4 is equipped with a 5400 RPM SATA II hard drive. Users can choose to install a new hard drive so long as it complies with these standards, is no thicker than 9.5mm, and is larger than 160GB.

Will users be able to connect an external hard drive to expand storage on PS4?

No, this feature is not supported on PS4.

It looks like the only way to upgrade storage on the Xbox 1 is to add an external hard drive. I had assumed Microsoft would offer some over priced, under sized hdd in a special case, but the Xbox 1 hdd isn't replaceable. The good thing is 3tb external drives are only around $115. By the time I actually need to upgrade to more storage, 4tb external drives will probably be around $120.

It looks like the only way to upgrade storage on the Xbox 1 is to add an external hard drive. I had assumed Microsoft would offer some over priced, under sized hdd in a special case, but the Xbox 1 hdd isn't replaceable. The good thing is 3tb external drives are only around $115. By the time I actually need to upgrade to more storage, 4tb external drives will probably be around $120.

I just read about that. It's kind of a pain in the ass actually, I'd rather just swap out an internal drive and be done with it but at least they will allow it later cause you cant upgrade anything right now it seems. Also, just having the option for an external drive is nice.

Still both have pros and cons, nice read here:

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/169598-the-great-ps4-vs-xbox-one-storage-debate-is-500gb-really-enough-for-new-games

So PS4 won't support externals, and Xbox One won't support internals.

Both are pretty stupid. But I think the Xbox One situation is worse. I've already complained about this at length, but the fact of the matter is that on the Xbox One, when the hard drive goes, the console goes. The hard drive is very often the first component in a computer to fail (it may in fact be tied with the optical drive in the case of consoles). Would it kill Microsoft to allow users to pop in their own SATA drives? They've given up just about every other contentious thing they tried to push with this console - this just seems a very odd spot for them to dig in.

According to this...it's going to be a problem eventually so I think everyone will buy extra drives at some point cause I sure as heck don't want to keep deleting cached data even for a game I dont play much:

http://kotaku.com/how-mandatory-game-installations-will-work-on-ps4-1462283797

30GB for Knack and I read somewhere that Battlefield was another 30GB.

Looks like Devs dont want to wait for physical disc reads anymore.

Edited by cimerians

I understand the need to maximize profits, but frankly, it's amazing the RIPOFF that comes with console storage. This has been the case since consoles launched with hard drives. Back when the popular original X360 was the 20GB model, people were using 100GB hard drives on PCs for relatively cheap. By the time the Xbox 360 Elite offered 120GB, people were using 400GB cheap hard drives on PCs.

I think - perhaps most egregious of console accessory ripoff - was the original Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter. For $100 (a HUNDRED BUCKS) you could get a WiFi card, at the same time Nintendo DS handhelds (DS Lite, $129) would sell you an entire handheld console with one built-in for $30 more.

So, they're screwing everybody on hard drives, like they always have been. Ever since IDE drives (we're talking like 1991) came out, the hard drive industry has been (frequently) selling the exact same hard drive mechanism at various sizes, with the cheaper (lower-capacity units) purposefully-disabled at the factory to limit the size. With the fact that this entire (spinning) technology shall soon be entirely replaced by solid state devices, you'd think they'd be eager to reap the one advantage they have over solid state - HUGE size. To put a 2GB old-style drive in there wouldn't cost them but a couple of bucks. They're reserving that for when the consoles start to get "stale." After the 1st price drop, you'll see 1TB versions of these consoles to make it look like not only have they lowered the price (with the price cut) but they're giving you more (which they could have, in the first place). I don't blame them - it's merely business, the objective is to maximize profits, not good will. But they'll do it as long as the gamers will put up with it, and they will. That's why the gamers buy 1/2-baked games at $60 and then pay additionally (downloadable content, and be glad to pay, too!) for what was purposefully left out. The taste goes great with a $100 wireless adapter, or a ripoff hard drive price that's about as desirable as a red hot poker up your ass.

• Like 1

I agree they both are. Speaking of proprietary drives.... I spent almost 80 bucks a few months back on Sony's proprietary Vita memory card.....80 bucks for a measly 32GB!

Storage is cheap though in general so they could have thrown in a 1TB drive in the systems. 500GB sata\USB drives are going for peanuts these days (at RETAIL) and they could have cut a deal to keep the consoles at the same prices. I guess they have their reasons "to keep costs down" but I don't buy it.

Especially Microsofts $500 dollar demon. They are both identical machines albeit the PS4 has a more straightforward GPU I don't see how Microsoft can justify a 500 dollar pricetag and not at LEAST give out a bigger drive especially since you cant upgrade the f@cking thing!

:x

It's all Nintendo's fault they started my tantrum with the lack of storage fiasco's with the Wii......I'm a hoarder of data dammit and I need space.

:P

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I am going to have to do this. I'd thought 500gb would be enough since I planned on buying physical copies of everything but since it downloads even those it kind of defeats the purpose. Still going to buy physical copies though.

Anyways, this may be a dumb question as I am not use to having to swap hard drives out on consoles, does anyone know if there will be some kind of process on the PS4 that will allow you swap data from the old to the new HD? I know trophy info is linked to your PSN account but I'm talking about game saves. If not I'll have to upgrade much quicker than previously thought.

Edited by GKC

I imagine you can move your saves to the cloud if you're a Playstation Plus subscriber to take them to another system. But there's no restore function yet that allows you to make an image of the contents on your PS4's HDD and restore it on a new HDD so that everything is intact.

Hopefully that feature will be coming in a future patch. But as of now, you essentially have to start over. So a lot of people I've seen that figure they want a larger hard drive just did that first thing instead of dealing with the hassle a few weeks or months from now.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't see how 1TB can even be enough space if all it is is double the space of the stock drive. You're still going to run out of space in double the time. You need like a 3TB drive or something at least.

I can't wait till they start making larger drive sizes period. When you work with video and audio projects you find yourself buying external hard drives all the time. If they could make something like 20TB hard drives I could put all that stuff on one drive, back it up to another and start sorting it. 500GB is a joke for anything anymore.

The largest hard drive I have ever seen was 4 TB.