IGNORED

SC1224 - Impending Death?

Elerach

BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL LOOKING INSIDE A LIVE MONITOR.

ALWAYS KEEP ONE HAND BEHIND YOUR BACK TO AVOID BEING ELECTROCUTED ACROSS YOUR HEART.

NEVER TURN ON THE MONITOR WHILST STANDING OVER THE MONITOR IN CASE A COMPONENT EXPLODES IN YOUR FACE.

NEVER INSERT METAL TOOLS INSIDE A LIVE MONITOR AS YOU COULD BE ELECTROCUTED.

USE AN EARTH LEAKAGE TRIP TO AUTOMATICALLY CUT THE MAINS SUPPLY.

The smell could be ozone generated by arcing of the EHT (high voltage) supply to the CRT (cathode ray tube).

Arcing can be caused by

a) a breakdown of the insulation

b) too high EHT voltage (unlikely because this would make the scanned screen smaller than desired)

c) dust and other containments that reduce the resistance to ground for the electric field from the EHT supply

Arcs usually generate blue light and some sizzling sound.

The loss of vertical sync after 30 minutes suggests a temperature dependent fault. Usual causes are:

a) a solder dry joint - resolder to fix

b) cracked PCB track

c) faulty capacitor

d) faulty IC (integrated chip)

Temperature dependent faults can be located by using a cold spray. The fault goes away when the spray cools down the faulty component and the fault comes back when the component warms up again.

BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL LOOKING INSIDE A LIVE MONITOR.

ALWAYS KEEP ONE HAND BEHIND YOUR BACK TO AVOID BEING ELECTROCUTED ACROSS YOUR HEART.

NEVER TURN ON THE MONITOR WHILST STANDING OVER THE MONITOR IN CASE A COMPONENT EXPLODES IN YOUR FACE.

NEVER INSERT METAL TOOLS INSIDE A LIVE MONITOR AS YOU COULD BE ELECTROCUTED.

USE AN EARTH LEAKAGE TRIP TO AUTOMATICALLY CUT THE MAINS SUPPLY.

The smell could be ozone generated by arcing of the EHT (high voltage) supply to the CRT (cathode ray tube).

Arcing can be caused by

a) a breakdown of the insulation

b) too high EHT voltage (unlikely because this would make the scanned screen smaller than desired)

c) dust and other containments that reduce the resistance to ground for the electric field from the EHT supply

Arcs usually generate blue light and some sizzling sound.

The loss of vertical sync after 30 minutes suggests a temperature dependent fault. Usual causes are:

a) a solder dry joint - resolder to fix

b) cracked PCB track

c) faulty capacitor

d) faulty IC (integrated chip)

Temperature dependent faults can be located by using a cold spray. The fault goes away when the spray cools down the faulty component and the fault comes back when the component warms up again.

Hey there,

Thanks for the response. I am aware of how dangerous monitors are, and that's why I was trying to avoid messing about in there too much myself. To be honest, much of what you said went straight over my head - I have very basic soldering and *minimal* electronics knowledge. I have heard no unusual noises coming from the monitor nor have I seen any flashes or lights. It would seem that if indeed this monitor is suffering from what you believe there is likely no way for me to fix it. Like I said, the monitor still works great, but the smell is so strong that beyond any aural complaints I am concerned that it may actually be bad for my health. I don't believe it is o-zone as I have smelled that before and it is much more acidic than that.

Guess I need to find a display alternative! What is my best option?

Thanks again!