IGNORED

Paddle Party

Hi all,

Not trying to stir anything up but my 2 cents is that a temporary discount is great for the many of us that buy 2 games, 4 games or even more. For those that want to share in on a discount for 1 game should not be a big deal in grand scheme as it is impossible to monitor anyways. I think the discount did/does work as intended and moves more product more quickly for more overall money. I know for me it makes a complete difference in the size of my order.

Again, I'm not trying to start with anyone so please feel free to disagree but please do so in a respectful manner as we don't need a hate thread.

Sorry to dZ that you had to deal with that as you don't deserve and sorry to William if he had to deal with any unnecessary similar emails.

Sincerely hope all is well with everyone and that this email does not offend anyone.

Joe

Oh no, ANOTHER faux pas! It's bad form to post PRIVATE Messages in a PUBLIC forum - especially when the original sender specifically asked it to be kept quiet.

Back to the thread, I purchased my two copies of Paddle Party on Tuesday Nov 19 - can't wait to get them!

I don't think it was a faux pas, and I don't blame dZ one bit. What a juvenile request from the sender. Someone tells you what to do in a PM, and then you're supposed to honor that person's request for privacy?

I don't think it was a faux pas, and I don't blame dZ one bit. What a juvenile request from the sender. Someone tells you what to do in a PM, and then you're supposed to honor that person's request for privacy?

It was a tactless, self serving post meant only to embarrass another member. Immature and indefensible. And you are attempting to defend bad behavior by pointing to other bad behavior.

Moving on, I think it's really cool that Paddle Party was programmed by an old Mattel employee who also worked on Burgertime, Bump 'n Jump and Star Stike for their M-Network division.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Oh wow, I missed some drama, damn :lol:

But lets talk about the game, or first a simple finding: Many wrote "hey it arrived", but I cant find opinions about the game. From the finding to a question: Why?

For me, and its not easy to say that, Paddle Party is the biggest disapointment I bought so far. Its not the worsed homebrew I bought, but I had high expectations and they were failed in every single point.

Since there are different Game Modes I devide my statment in the modes

1. Air Hockey

The reason why I was excited for PP. First fault: Its from left to right and back. Believe me or not, but it would be MUCH better and more fun if you would play it upside down, at least in the single player mode. Left to right is suboptimal for such a game. Than: Its possible to stop the puck - I dont think this feature is very well, because it makes the game slow if one player wants it to be slow.

I also have the feeling that the collision detection is not the best, but I could be wrong, because I did not played it very long.

2. Pong

Well, its okay, probably the best game of this game collection. I like the feature that you could play with spin, thats pretty cool and well made. What I dont like is the fact, that the directionchangings are not so good. If I hit the ball with the edge of my paddle it goes nearly straight to the other side, only way to change that is to play with spin.

Biggest problem: The Paddle is slow. There is a way to boost it I know, but if you play a two ball game you too often are in situations were you cant do anything. But well, Pong is definitely okay and not bad.

3. Squash

Nice idea and kind of funny, but very unfair. You must not play the ball, just block the enemie. Thats not allowed in real squash and the reason is easy: Its not funny. The play field is too small to avoid interference, thats a mistake in the game design for me. The "players" are also a bit squishy to control, which supports the player who wants to interfere the opponent. Too bad, the game could be good. Maybe I did not find the mode, is there any mode which makes the non returning player to a ghost, so that he cant block the returning player? That would be at least something.

4. Tennis in Space

Well, not really much to say about this. Its weird, slow and seems to be made in a few of hours. Sorry that my judgement is destructive, but that game is just aweful. Quantity < Quality, may it would have been better to cut that mode for optimizing the other modes.

Well, I am sure I start a new shitstorm against me how unthankful I am and I also think some will tell me "make a better game", maybe I get some insults for this post. To tell the truth: I dont care. I am a collector, so I buy every homebrew on the Intellivision. But I am also a gamer and as a gamer I get sad about the average quality of our Intellivision homebrews. I do not talk about the "Fun"-Release of "Games" Like Space Cunt, there no one expects a good game, but for every serious title I would wish more than I saw in 2013.

I like that Paddle Party is a fresh idea, thats something I really appreciate, but unfortunately a fresh idea does not make a good game alone.

As I said in another thread today: I wont discourage the developers to make more games and its not ment to insult the developer, I just want to give my honest feedback to the games I buy and I unfortunately do not want to play, because they are just not as good as they could be.

Thanks for reading and happy shitstorming.

Edited by Ignorama

I think the games are primary to be played best with a 2nd players. Maybe getting a 2nd player to play these games will help change your opinion. They might grow on you.

I think Tennis in Space looks very cool and very impressive. Multi-scrolling direction screen with parrelex looks so cool. It may be probably one of the most difficult game out of all of them to make. There is development diary of the game. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/195612-paddle-party-development-diary/

I think it took him many hours to make.

There is cool easter egg that been revealed on the forums. One is a single player game which you defeat robot with the hockey puck accessible by pressing 8 on the menu list. I think you might enjoy that one the most. And also a secret messages after completing a Pong match.

I be sure to get Match 5 and Paddle Party once Game for your Intellivision re-open his store.

So you did not played the games so far? I have to admit: Of course its MY opinion and no fact, I wrote it as a fact and thats not correct. But I really would like to know the honest opinion of people to the game. There are some peoples opinion I dont care for, because they would never say something bad against Elektronite titles, but maybe the fact that they did not say "awesome game, I totally love it" says enough :P

So you did not played the games so far? I have to admit: Of course its MY opinion and no fact, I wrote it as a fact and thats not correct. But I really would like to know the honest opinion of people to the game. There are some peoples opinion I dont care for, because they would never say something bad against Elektronite titles, but maybe the fact that they did not say "awesome game, I totally love it" says enough :P

I would have to try the game out first to pass my opinion along. From the animation gifs and youtube videos, it looks interesting to play. I was hoping my suggestions could sway your opinion on the game and give it another shot. However, I do like reading other people's opinion on games though. :)

If you're willing to give feedback on games, please also give feedback on whose opinions you don't care for.. I'd love to hear those.

Oh wow, I missed some drama, damn :lol:

But lets talk about the game, or first a simple finding: Many wrote "hey it arrived", but I cant find opinions about the game. From the finding to a question: Why?

For me, and its not easy to say that, Paddle Party is the biggest disapointment I bought so far. Its not the worsed homebrew I bought, but I had high expectations and they were failed in every single point.

Since there are different Game Modes I devide my statment in the modes

1. Air Hockey

The reason why I was excited for PP. First fault: Its from left to right and back. Believe me or not, but it would be MUCH better and more fun if you would play it upside down, at least in the single player mode. Left to right is suboptimal for such a game. Than: Its possible to stop the puck - I dont think this feature is very well, because it makes the game slow if one player wants it to be slow.

I also have the feeling that the collision detection is not the best, but I could be wrong, because I did not played it very long.

2. Pong

Well, its okay, probably the best game of this game collection. I like the feature that you could play with spin, thats pretty cool and well made. What I dont like is the fact, that the directionchangings are not so good. If I hit the ball with the edge of my paddle it goes nearly straight to the other side, only way to change that is to play with spin.

Biggest problem: The Paddle is slow. There is a way to boost it I know, but if you play a two ball game you too often are in situations were you cant do anything. But well, Pong is definitely okay and not bad.

3. Squash

Nice idea and kind of funny, but very unfair. You must not play the ball, just block the enemie. Thats not allowed in real squash and the reason is easy: Its not funny. The play field is too small to avoid interference, thats a mistake in the game design for me. The "players" are also a bit squishy to control, which supports the player who wants to interfere the opponent. Too bad, the game could be good. Maybe I did not find the mode, is there any mode which makes the non returning player to a ghost, so that he cant block the returning player? That would be at least something.

4. Tennis in Space

Well, not really much to say about this. Its weird, slow and seems to be made in a few of hours. Sorry that my judgement is destructive, but that game is just aweful. Quantity < Quality, may it would have been better to cut that mode for optimizing the other modes.

Well, I am sure I start a new shitstorm against me how unthankful I am and I also think some will tell me "make a better game", maybe I get some insults for this post. To tell the truth: I dont care. I am a collector, so I buy every homebrew on the Intellivision. But I am also a gamer and as a gamer I get sad about the average quality of our Intellivision homebrews. I do not talk about the "Fun"-Release of "Games" Like Space Cunt, there no one expects a good game, but for every serious title I would wish more than I saw in 2013.

I like that Paddle Party is a fresh idea, thats something I really appreciate, but unfortunately a fresh idea does not make a good game alone.

As I said in another thread today: I wont discourage the developers to make more games and its not ment to insult the developer, I just want to give my honest feedback to the games I buy and I unfortunately do not want to play, because they are just not as good as they could be.

Thanks for reading and happy shitstorming.

First of all, Thank you very much for expressing your opinion.

I love to get feedback, even if it is bad. The worst thing that can happen is to release something and get no response.

(47 people downloaded "PRESS 8" but I got exactly one comment (thanks GroovyBee!). I have no idea if people liked it, hated it, were confused by it.... I guess I know that they didn't love it because they would have said that...)

Second, I am very sorry that you were disappointed by the game. I worked very hard on it, and I tried to make it fun, but it is hard to please everyone. I found it is very hard to make a fun single player version of even a simple game like "TV Tennis". The games are much more fun with 2 players. That's one reason I added the "extra" game "Hockey Robots of Death" - so there would be a fun one player game in the mix.

Here are my comments on some of your comments:

1. Air Hockey - Since this games were derived from "TV Tennis", it started out in left - right orientation. The Air hockey table is longer than it is wide, so it fits well this way. If the player were at the bottom, I would either have to scroll the screen, or shrink the game and have half a blank screen in order to get the hockey table proportions right.

In casual Air Hockey, stopping the puck with the mallet is a natural part of the game - people often do it. So I included it in the game.

In the official Air Hockey rules, stopping the puck is not allowed. In hindsight, maybe I should have had an option to disable this feature. But it never occurred to me that someone would not want it.

3. Squash - In the early days of video games, people took the "TV Tennis" game, put both the paddles on one side of the screen, put a wall on the other side, and called it "Handball" or "Squash". I could have easily done that. But my impression was that those games were never very popular. I have never heard anyone say "If only the Intellivision had a 1970's style Squash game!" So I thought the game needed something. The difference between Tennis and Squash in my mind is that the players are in the same space and they have to deal with that - even if they aren't allowed to interfere with each other. So I went to the other extreme - I allowed the players to interact - that was the point of the game.

Some people really enjoy this game!

In Hindsight, I could have had an option to disable interaction of the players. But I never thought of it...

4. Tennis in Space was technically very difficult to make. Making a flying tennis game uses up all of the 8 motion objects available on the system, so it takes a bit of trickery to add parallax scrolling star-fields and meteors and energy globes. It took a lot of time to make. I thought it would be fun to cooperate with someone to fly the space ship, while at the same time competing with them at a tennis game. It is a new concept.

To be honest, some people have praised the game technically, but as far as I know no one has really gotten into playing it, which is too bad. I enjoy playing it! Flying the spaceship does take a bit of getting used to.

Please try the "Hockey Robots" game if you get a chance (press the "7" button on the game menu screen) and let me know what you think...

Catsfolly