IGNORED

Venture Official Release

Goochman

Just to confirm, all sorted between me and Sal, common sense on both sides has been restored, Sal accepted the apology and I wish his game sales all the best all over the world.

Just two old fella's having a barney and done..

One day if I win the lottery I'll buy the game on cart with some XL's for spare, money is a premium for me these days as I cannot work because of illness, I do my best to support the devs but certain levels of expenditure I can't justify, I try but have to drop the idea in the end hence all the bit about Digital downloads, my heart is in the right place.

Anyway..All done, I wish venture and other games all the best....

Paul...

• Like 2

+1 Mclaneinc. My son recently had to have a procedure done on his heart. Nothing like seeing you child in a sports event motion to you that his heart hurts............all ended well for us so I can understand the running of emotions. Hope things end up well on your side as well.

• Like 1

+1 Mclaneinc. My son recently had to have a procedure done on his heart. Nothing like seeing you child in a sports event motion to you that his heart hurts............all ended well for us so I can understand the running of emotions. Hope things end up well on your side as well.

Thank you Goochman, as with every one its very appreciated and I'm over the moon that your child is well, as you say its heart rending.

You love them so much yet are totally helpless at the time...

Her she is before all this, she's still feeling awful as the stomach bug is being flushed out but she now has severe flu, she's suffering but smiling so its ok.

ae948521-1bbe-4038-a35f-9215148478ce_zps

Yes, she gets her looks from Mum :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've played earlier releases, can't comment too much as I've never really played arcade or other home versions before ... 5200 version, got doubts as 48K Ram required.

Thanks Al. I Got back in. =)

Digital Downloads? As I've Said Before. Never. Nuff Said. Don't ask me again please.

5200 Version. YES!!!

We will be doing a 5200 conversion. I'm Hoping to get some help with this from the man who did the 5200 fort apocalypse conversion. =)

Venture Has two major features....

1, Challenger Mode. this mode has certain rooms that close the door behind you until you kill everything in the room and some rooms where the treasure will not appear until everything in the room is dead. This mode also features more monsters in the rooms and they are faster and smarter. There is also the addition of a Fourth Level Map, with new rooms and new monsters/traps.

The Normal mode plays the game like the classic colecovision version.

2, Control Features. You can control like the original or use the new point and shoot control where you can hold down the fire button which will hold your aim where ever you want it and allow you to move while continuing to shoot.

In response to 5200 porting and requiring 48K. This needed to be done because the 32K Williams cartridge mapped only 8K into memory at one time, and the whole thing gets swapped out when a bank switch occurs. So the 'main bank' needed to be copied to ram so it is mapped in memory at all time, the 6502 processor can execute instructions there without being altered. If you try to execute a bank switch when the program counter is within a bank, the next instruction read by the processor will be garbage and cause a crash. Its like reading a book, if you were reading words and your eyes were focused on a specific physical somewhere in the middle of a page and it was suddenly flipped, what you read won't make sense. A XEGS version was also tested that maps 16K of memory with 8K bank switching. XEGS version could get away running on a 16K machine. The 5200 cartridges mapped 32K of memory, so could be done with no bank switching. I wrote Venture to do all its RAM operations within the first 16K, so a 5200 version is doable.

Edited by peteym5

• 3 weeks later...

So I got my Venture cart yesterday and with limited playing time here are my thoughts:

It looks and plays well. Sound is good.

The 'challenge' level is where you want to play. It gives added monsters and a new level to play through.

I have 2 issues with this release:

1. The normal game was modeled after the Colecovision version which looks good but plays way too easy. The normal game is a breeze to go through the first 3 levels. I had the 'prerelease' which didnt really get any harder. I havent had time to play this long enough to see if the game gets faster/more challenging.

2. Ive attached a picture below - did everyone else who ordered a cart have this problem with the shell? The PCB is apparently pretty thick so the shell is kept closed with tape but if it doesnt hold you can see what happens. The cart plays fine though and my label was put on correctly :)

IMG_1124 (Small).JPG

So I got my Venture cart yesterday and with limited playing time here are my thoughts:

The 'challenge' level is where you want to play. It gives added monsters and a new level to play through.

1. The normal game was modeled after the Colecovision version which looks good but plays way too easy. The normal game is a breeze to go through the first 3 levels. I had the 'prerelease' which didnt really get any harder. I havent had time to play this long enough to see if the game gets faster/more challenging.

2. Ive attached a picture below - did everyone else who ordered a cart have this problem with the shell? The PCB is apparently pretty thick so the shell is kept closed with tape but if it doesnt hold you can see what happens. The cart plays fine though and my label was put on correctly :)

Mine is the same. The tape doesn't hold it closed very well. I can see through the open shell that the ROM is socket mounted. It also look like the ROM has about a 2mm gap between it and the socket. The legs might be a little long for that socket. The net result is that the socket + ROM takes up too much space and prevents the case from closing properly. I'm kind of surprised that Lance would think selling a taped up cart is acceptable. It just doesn't look professional.

Other than that, the game looks/sounds great and is fun to play.

edit: I'm going to try super gluing it shut and then carefully remove the tape.

Some things I see on this site scare the heck out of me ... who does this ? i would rather just have the board so I didnt have to look at that shell that is just waiting to pop all the way open at any moment !

• Like 2

I've just had a quote for Venture (to be shipped to the UK), I hope the vendors respond with some improvements, seems there are a lot of people here who can help - it's a lot of money (relatively) so I would want a reliable cartridge.

Has anyone any comments on the game itself?

I was also considering buying Tempest Xtreem and Space Harrier to show some support so would be interested to hear if they have decent re-play appeal and if they are challenging enough to play. I remembered reading about a 'feature/bug' in Tempest with a bunch of extra lives being given - did this spoil the game? [ratings out of 10?]

:)

I've just had a quote for Venture (to be shipped to the UK), I hope the vendors respond with some improvements, seems there are a lot of people here who can help - it's a lot of money (relatively) so I would want a reliable cartridge.

I was also considering buying Tempest Xtreem and Space Harrier to show some support so would be interested to hear if they have decent re-play appeal and if they are challenging enough to play. I remembered reading about a 'feature/bug' in Tempest with a bunch of extra lives being given - did this spoil the game?

Buy a cart from Classics and program Space Harrier yourself. Any label you make for it is going to look better than the one Video61 is going to make.

Allan

• Like 2

I was also considering buying Tempest Xtreem and Space Harrier to show some support so would be interested to hear if they have decent re-play appeal and if they are challenging enough to play. I remembered reading about a 'feature/bug' in Tempest with a bunch of extra lives being given - did this spoil the game? [ratings out of 10?]

I mentioned this above but worth repeating:

The graphics and sounds are very good and faithful to the arcade. There are 2 games:

1. Classic Venture based off the CV conversion. I found this version to be very easy just like the CV version. It plays fast and smooth.

2. There is a 'challenger' version - this to me is alot superior. I blasted through the first 4 levels on the 1c game but I did lose a few lives along the way.

For both versions I did not have time to play through 3-4 levels to see if things get alot harder or not. The new map on the 'c' version is an added bonus.

I think the one thing that made the arcade game hard was while moving in a room there was always this slight delay when changing directions. I havent seen that repeated in any of the home versions.

Also the animation of 'winky' grabbing his bow and running down the stairs on the treasure list screen is not in this version.

Edited by Goochman

Some things I see on this site scare the heck out of me ... who does this ? i would rather just have the board so I didnt have to look at that shell that is just waiting to pop all the way open at any moment !

Another good argument for a ROM release for purchase.

Regarding concerns of piracy, each purchaser's information could be easily encoded in the ROM to prevent it -- see D2K on Intellivision as an example of how it's done.

I'm certainly not going to buy a 5200 just to get a cart that is as likely to fall apart as those 5200 controllers -- even if Venture is one of my favorite games all-time. :)

Edited by DoctorTom

Digital Downloads? As I've Said Before. Never. Nuff Said. Don't ask me again please.

Well then I guess theres no use bitching when someone dumps it, hacks it into an .XEX and it ends up everywhere for free anywayze..

People tend to do that..

It's also a good thing that people who make GOOD games like SPace Harrier XE, Yoomp, Crownland, His Dark Majesty, etc. etc. etc.. don't suffer from this sort of dementia. Otherwise, this platform would be pretty dead.

Edited by MEtalGuy66
  • Like 2