IGNORED

Venture Official Release

Goochman

My venture cart sometimes becomes graphically corrupt, its like the pointer to a user defined set is screwed up, also get audio hic-cups..

The graphic problem happens about half way through the game, you just see a jump on the screen and ten its partially stuffed, it still plays but looks awful..

Its a real venture cart (annoyed Petey when I posted a picture of it with a dated note to prove I had one, he so wanted it to have been me playing a dump so he could scream PIRATE)

But yes, very annoying to have games untested on real hardware and also not even fully tested in any way, not fun for Lance either but he's not removing it from sale so there's a joint agreement to sell on...

Commercial games that get less testing and care than almost all the free games our devs make..Just wrong..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marius said:

Told this a million times to Peteym5. This is exact the reason, as long as they do cart only, that I will never buy a single game from V61 ever again.

Their games are

* NOT betatested on REAL hardware

* NOT betatested by skilled people who try to find real existing problems

* proven FULL OF BUGS

* Unfixable since on a fixed medium (a cart!)

It's a pity that you found out after you bought the game. It is even more a pity that @video61atarisales does not do ANYTHING to prevent this crappy experience in the future. They should stop with their outdated 'cart only' policy, since games (and any other software) is ALWAYS buggy, and ALWAYS needs to be fixed. Even with a decent test phase things might go wrong in the future. With a disk or file, or even a FLASH CART (and then sending a flasher for updates of course!) all these trouble could be prevented. 

It is unbelievable that reported bugs (like this sound issue you describe) are NOT fixed, even though these bugs are reported OVER and OVER again. The bug is not new, at least 2 years ago I already mentioned at Peteym5 (author of game).

Total disrespect to customers. My advice: never buy anything from V61, unless they change their attitude towards customers. 

They simply sell you a game with bugs, while they KNOW it is buggy. Sounds almost like a crime to me.

Well,

simply replace all mentions of Peteym5 and Vide61 with Atari or Sega or Nintendo or ... and read the text again. It is still true...  ;-)

It becomes even more true if you instead use "Atari" and "Atari Jaguar", hahaha...  ;-)

• Haha 1

Just now, CharlieChaplin said:

Well,

simply replace all mentions of Peteym5 and Vide61 with Atari or Sega or Nintendo or ... and read the text again. It is still true...  ;-)

It becomes even more true if you instead use "Atari" and "Atari Jaguar", hahaha...  ;-)

Lol...

But this stil does not justify bad behavior. If other people or companies do bad things, this doesn't mean everybody should do it.

But true though.

2 minutes ago, tep392 said:

I offered to help them beta test once but was told I needed to sign an NDA.  Screw them if they think that little of us.

Same story here. There was no trust at all.

Pity, since I really think Peteym5 had some pretty cool a8 games going on. With some help or cooperation with the a8 scene, we could have amazing stuff. But unfortunately it wasn't meant to be. 

30 minutes ago, Marius said:

Same story here. There was no trust at all.

Pity, since I really think Peteym5 had some pretty cool a8 games going on. With some help or cooperation with the a8 scene, we could have amazing stuff. But unfortunately it wasn't meant to be. 

I'm not sure why he and video61 have so much paranoia, like it's still the 80's.  Were all grown up now with disposable income and a desire to buy physical games. The guys who are putting out demo's or even full versions during development are producing high quality games thanks to the feedback, plus getting sales as a result.  Everyone wins.

• Like 3

I really went to get Xenophobe, and added this to my order on a whim because I've always liked Venture.

If I seen this thread before buying, I probably still would have made the purchase because the last couple pages seem to indicate that the bug was fixed for all future cart orders.

Putting the bug aside, the game is good, graphics are colorful, controls are easy, and I like the addition of music. I do find it to be on the easy side compared to arcade Venture (will playtest MAME real quick to confirm.)

I will drop a note to Video61 to see what they say about the fixed version supposed to be available.

@peteym5 and @video61atarisales

Obviously you guys are reading this message, and then start odd actions on FaceBook, by posting my personal credentials (full name, profile picture) and write completely nonsense:

"

As of October 21, 2020. Marius *** is blocked from Atari 6502 Game Development. He is charged with bullying, and defamation of character, myself Peter J. Meyer and Lance Ringquist (Video61). His comments are posted on the AtariAge forums that would be damaging to myself, and the business of ATARISALES.
He is known to associate with people that had been working to damage and sabotage our business and was on this group to possibly spy on what I am doing. Marius, you block is in effect and no longer be welcome to my group."

Since you block me there, let me respond here, so other people can decide who is the bad guy here.

First of all I have been a supporter of any atari 8bit developer for a very long time. When people browse AtariAge posts where stuff is offered you'll notice that I purchase many developed hardware and software. I love atari 8bit, I love the creators of good software and hardware, and I want to support them. When there is something freeware, from time to time I make a financial donation to support them. I do not mention this to advertise for myself as being a good person, but to explain how I am involved in the Atari 8bit scene. I love the computer, I love the nostalgia, and I really appreciate people who invest their time and money in creating new stuff so the little atari keeps humming. 

Just as expected I also bought Tempest Xtreem (I bought it twice!) and Venture. 

On Tempest Xtreem I found a few bugs. The second cart even had a non working bonus game (yes, seriously, that part of the game did NOT work!) ... Venture crashed from time to time, and had some serious sound issues. 

There was a long ongoing discussion about the fact that V61 only sells cartridges. I am not going to do the discussion over, but I preferred another way of buying games from V61. As you can read in this thread (not this post) I am still positive about the games, and the talent of Peteym5. But I experienced problems with the software on real hardware. Later they claimed that it was fully tested on real hardware, but meanwhile they blamed Altirra (emulator) for not being accurate. It was definitely not tested on real PAL hardware, otherwise some problems that occur as soon as you switch on the atari were seen by the developer(s).

Peter admitted later the software was tested on Emulator only. So it turned out that on real hardware there were problems.
That was for me the MAIN reason I have issues with the "Cart Only" policy, since it is not so easy to fix a cart. When you provide a file version of your game, it is simply a matter of fixing the file, and offering the updated file. But let's not start this discussion, V61 = cart only... I hate that for reasons, but they can decide how they want to do their business.

In stead of fixing the reported bugs though, Peteym5 started to advertise the games as being GOOD, by using FAKE accounts on AtariAge. Of course this was too obvious, so after several warnings and being banned/unbanned in a short period of time, he got a permanent Ban on Atariage. @Albert as owner of AtariAge could confirm this.

The best advertisement would have been fix the game, and let the people enjoy the game. But no.... Peteym5 made the choice to use several fake accounts, that started telling here HOW HAPPY THEY (the non existing fake persons) ARE WITH THEIR PURCHASED GAME.

Peteym5 did the same on FaceBook. Using several sock puppet accounts to advertise his own products as being excellent, and to bypass the bans FaceBook gave him. So both AtariAge AND FaceBook decided several times to BAN Peteym5. 

Now... suddenly there was a customer here on AtariAge who purchased Venture, and reported that there was a bug with the sound. Yes, that message hit me. My jaw fell on the floor. I simply couldn't believe that @video61atarisales was still selling the same game with the already reported bugs. It made me angry, yes... so an emotional response from me followed here on AtariAge. I reported and discussed the Venture bug with Peteym5 in the past (2 years ago or longer). In that conversation he blamed the RMT player (which he uses for free!) and not his own absence of any testing. I was under the impression he used his time to FIX Venture, and that V61 would sell from that moment a FIXED version of Venture. But unfortunately NO, they appear continuing selling buggy software. 

Perhaps I shouldn't have typed all that. Yes my post was not a pleasure to read; I admit that at once. And indeed, you could consider my post as a warning to future buyers. But nothing in my post is a lie though. It is just how it is. I am not the person who sells a buggy game. That is what @video61atarisales did (and obviously do). The best way to prevent shitty reviews, is doing your business better, and be HONEST to customers. 

The story with Peteym5 is endless, and full of trouble. I offered him several time my help to test his stuff, and to discuss how things could be better. 

Yes, I have been annoyingly critical about the "cart-only" subject. That is something I shouldn't have done in the past, but for the rest I can say I have always been honest, and never done any harm to anyone. 

The second half of Peteym5's post on FaceBook does not make any sense either. This refers (I guess) to his ongoing argument with Sal "KJMANN" Esquivel, who was also one of my friends on FaceBook. Peteym5 seems to conclude that there is some conspiracy going on against them. No Peteym5, that is not the case. Sal is a brilliant atari 8bit musician, and as you can see my FB friends list is for 95% loaded with musicians. That what happens here on AtariAge is not a conspiracy against you, but a consequence of your own actions. It is as simple as that.

It sucks that in the Atari community this kind of crap is going on. I apology to everyone else about this. Sorry that my actions cause any negativity, or throw a shadow on the hobby.

Video61 and Peteym5 treat customers like sh*t though, they call them pirates, they sell buggy software, and when someone (in this case me) says something about it, they start posting funny and dangerous messages on FaceBook. I hope anyone can make a wise decision for him/herself, who is the bad guy here. 

Indeed it is not possible (due to your ban Peteym5) to respond to this. But your friend Lance could respond, which he didn't. In stead of making a conversation, you block me on your group, and then you write that post? 

Edited by Marius
  • Like 4

Marius, you don't need to prove yourself, there's bundles of evidence that Petey has broken forum rules, defamed people, shown total distrust of his customers and often no care of the problems in the software.

You on the other hand have been a proven supporter of all our devs and just a great guy..

You have zero to prove about you...The forums show just what a nice person you are an a true Atarian like all of us new or old on the forum.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

Marius, you don't need to prove yourself, there's bundles of evidence that Petey has broken forum rules, defamed people, shown total distrust of his customers and often no care of the problems in the software.

You on the other hand have been a proven supporter of all our devs and just a great guy..

You have zero to prove about you...The forums show just what a nice person you are an a true Atarian like all of us new or old on the forum.

Thanks!

But on FaceBook his hideous post is still there, and people might need the whole story to make up their decisions about who is the bad guy here. 

I wouldn't say about myself I am the good guy. I have been -indeed- very critical on V61 and the whole story. And indeed I was a pain in the ass when it comes to the 'cart only' discussion. All true. But I have always honest intentions. And everything I wrote about the story with Peteym5 and V61 is true. 

One can not say I spread lies. It is just telling how things happened. And yes, that is an ugly story. I did not create that 'truth'. 

58 minutes ago, Marius said:

seems to conclude that there is some conspiracy going on against them.

either a baseless attempt to distract people from the real reason(s) why there is negativity

or a textbook paranoia case from someone who knows their behaviour is not entirely 'wholesome'

..or both?

V61s product range has a few attractive items but the pricing just motivated me to learn how to make my own carts ?

• Like 2

As I said to Marius privately, Petey acts in a psychopathic way, he posts about people defaming him while actively doing it 100%  more to the other person, he has no ability to see what he's doing is wrong because in his head all the things he does are correct. Certainly some paranoia thrown in for good measure..

FB should be forced to remove the post but probably won't...

I also like some of V61 stuff but like others found the price and input from Petey annoying, Lance seems like a really nice guy when I have spoke to him but with Petey he's tied to a creative person with shall we say, faults. Like some, I've had ok chats with Petey but suddenly the other petey appears and its downhill from there..

Its odd, there another Peter, the Centron 3d guy who is in the Oz papers for not being a terribly sane person...Who would have thought that :)

2 hours ago, Marius said:

He is charged with bullying, and defamation of character, myself Peter J. Meyer and Lance Ringquist (Video61).

He is making it sound legal and threatening, remember it's just two people robbing the Atari community and feeling outrage when people notice. 

People in this community respect the rights of others (mostly. it gets a bit hairy around CC/FOSS). This makes the community a target for people like lance and peter who release buggy crap and never fix it.

Personally I think if people release buggy software and don't fix it in a reasonable period of time (two years is WAY more than reasonable) it is fine to dump the cart and post it here for the community to fix. You've done everything you can to get a working product from them but still don't have it, it seems fair to ask for help from others at that point.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

Personally I think if people release buggy software and don't fix it in a reasonable period of time (two years is WAY more than reasonable) it is fine to dump the cart and post it here for the community to fix. You've done everything you can to get a working product from them but still don't have it, it seems fair to ask for help from others at that point.

The most ironic part is, that atari 8bit users, (future) customers of V61 were called pirates, because games would be spread. I won't do such a thing, and that is the reason I bought a second Tempest Xtreem cart, since I gave the first one away. Yes, I kept a dump for myself when I gave it away, but then I decided I still liked the game, so I bought a 2nd new one. I found it unfair to keep a dump, without anymore owning the physical cart. 

I do want to pay for good software. I am not interested in free copies. What I like most is being involved. So if something needs to be tested, let me test it. If something needs to be fixed, and I can do it... let me do it. That is one of most awesome parts of this hobby. Create stuff, fix stuff, preserve it. 

I told @Albert I feel responsible for the 'drama' that happens now. I could have chosen to keep my mouth shut. Perhaps I should have done that. 

But the fact that V61 continues selling stuff that is known defective, is simply something I can not be silent about. We, the atari 8bit community, need some protection for that kind of bad practice. Video61 could have responded to my post, they could have told their part of the story... they could have said to me that my posts stinks to high heaven and asked me to remove it. None of that happened. Peteym5 chose to post a hideous post on his FB group, using my profile picture, and using my full name. 

So no, nobody has to dump this software for me. I am no longer interested in a fix either. Due to all this, I am no longer interested in playing these games either, although they are still pretty decent titles. The only two thing I would like is that V61 stops selling buggy stuff, and that Peteym5 uses his coding talent on a8 productions (including a good test phase) in stead of abusing his talent by bamboozling his audience with all this untrue posts. 

Edited by Marius

This type of attack against Marius by Peter J. Meyer is typical, and is the sort of thing he's been doing for years.  Only now he's mostly relegated to his own Facebook group since he's been kicked from numerous FB groups over the past two years for similar behavior, and of course his peteym5 account was banned from AtariAge in January 2019 for continuing to create fake accounts after I asked him repeatedly to stop doing so.  At one point I told him that if I caught him doing it again, he would be permanently banned.  He stopped for a while after that warning, but I guess he couldn't help himself at some point as he started ramping up the fake accounts again.

Here's my public post on AtariAge explaining why Peter was banned:

After being banned from AtariAge, Peter really went off the rails and created a flurry of new accounts attempting to get back in, and that's when he also started creating fake accounts on Facebook.  I've documented at least 15 Facebook accounts that can be clearly tied back to Peter.  He's even stupidly discussed creating fake accounts on his own FB profile and how he's tried getting around Facebook's security to prevent discovery of his fake accounts. 

I have thoroughly documented everything, including unsolicited private emails and messages that Peter has sent to various people in the last two years libeling myself and others with preposterous bullshit. These people shared these emails and messages with me to inform me what Peter was saying behind my and others' backs.

Peter does not respond well to criticism, and this is the end result.  He's attacked myself and AtariAge numerous times over the past few years with fantastical bullshit such as how I've tried to steal ROMs and source code for his games, how I'm trying to damage Lance's business because I don't want competition, and all sorts of other conspiracy-laden garbage that's all false.  And he's been stalking and harassing Sal as well with numerous emails, often masquerading as someone else (it's very obvious it's all Peter). 

For people without access to Facebook, here is a screenshot of Peter's post and subsequent discussion on his group:

Peter_Harassing_MariusDiepenhorst_Facebo

Here's a direct link to Peter's post on Facebook, I encourage everyone to report this post for either harassment (if you are a friend of Marius' on FB) or bullying.  Make sure you report the post to Facebook as you go through the prompts:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/retrogamesrus/permalink/1449547515252701

It's really sad that Peter can't just focus on his games, and that he has to continue attacking people in this fashion. 

..Al

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

Personally I think if people release buggy software and don't fix it in a reasonable period of time (two years is WAY more than reasonable) it is fine to dump the cart and post it here for the community to fix.

yes, in the name of piracy.

such ideas are condemned in the civilized world.

6 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

Yeah, sorry, probably not a good idea to do that here, sorry Albert!

Yes: unfortunately, this kind of thing just plays up to the rampant paranoia regarding piracy that Peter was propagating in the first place. It would be far preferable if Peter had accepted the very genuine and well-meaning offers of help and assistance extended by members of the community (including offers of beta testing), rather than assuming such offers of help (or even requests for 'digital downloads') to be wholly motivated by a desire to rip off his intellectual property. I long maintained that rather than ranting and raving, it would be better if people simply voted with their pockets, but unfortunately Peter's exploits have - whether deliberately or otherwise - created something of a Streisand Effect around products which do not seem to warrant such an enormous amount of attention.

12 minutes ago, Albert said:

I encourage everyone to report this post for either harassment (if you are a friend of Marius' on FB) or bullying.  Make sure you report the post to Facebook as you go through the prompts.

Done. It's particularly aggravating to see Marius targeted in this way, since not only is he one of the nicest and most helpful people in the community, he also tries to see the best in others and is not the kind of person to completely write anyone off as a lost cause. I have watched Marius investing his valuable time in trying to pacify the Pete situation, but perhaps he finally sees now that his time was wasted.

Marius also happens to be a proven beta tester with excellent communication skills; if he offers to test your stuff and you say no, there's no point in crying when your stuff still has bugs when it is released.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, xxl said:

yes, in the name of piracy.

such ideas are condemned in the civilized world.

Not surprised at this response given that you deliberately break your software if a user tries to run it on an upgrade you don't like, then demand the fixes get removed from any forum where a fix is posted. 

Compared with the Amiga and C64 scenes the Atari scene is a paragon of virtue, it's only the bad actors who still think the Atari scene is rife with piracy and unauthorized hacking. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Robot said:

Lawyers of Atari, Activision/Blizzard, Disney, Electronic Arts, Nintendo, UbiSoft, Sega, Sony, etc. will be very happy when you do that. But you surely will not be happy afterwards...

(On the other hand, we are not talking about actual PC/console software, but about A8 software here...)

On 10/20/2020 at 8:00 PM, rmzalbar said:

Huh, I just received my Venture cartridge from Video61 yesterday, and it does have the sound problem starting after the tune plays once in the hallway. Once, it even glitched into an unplayable state at the same time the sound went screwy in the hallway. So, I suppose there's still a bug.

Hmmm, is it possible to switch-off the ingame sound (e.g. in the menu/titlescreen) and then maybe get rid of (or bypass) the sound problem that way ? I do not own that game and therefore cannot test...