IGNORED

Venture Official Release

Goochman

Understand this Mclaneinc, If we ever see a digital version of any of our games floating around, I WILL Close this company and we will Never produce another game. people like you are the reason so many game designers for retro systems have decided to close shop. the choice of media is OURS to make not yours. This is OUR work.

We have two more game releases scheduled for release within the next year, but I will shelve them if I see our work being dumped and distributed around without our permission.

I would have bought your Venture cartridge, but your attitude is too nasty to support. There are much nicer people worth buying products from around here.

• Like 2

Venture was always intriguing to me but it was a bit of a quarter thief.

I think I got 5 of 6 levels on the arcade machine and then it just destroyed me.

I've always wanted a home version... but tape??

Ya know, I bought the PacMan cart because I didn't already own PacMan... and I'm not even a fan of PacMan.

Venture... would have been an obvious choice for me. But tape??

Are their other carts like this?

I would have bought your Venture cartridge, but your attitude is too nasty to support. There are much nicer people worth buying products from around here.

Yeah, and the no refunds policy rubs me the wrong way as well. If I order a Venture cart, I want a Venture cart, not store credit.

• 1 month later...

Hopefully the vendors will resond to the cartridge quality issues raised here, it is not cheap and this is likely to put people off from purchasing; including myself :| I would still also like to know if anyone recommends Venture on the A8 / has got any further playing it / completed it / enjoyed it / rating out of 10 / review of this version :?:

Hopefully the vendors will resond to the cartridge quality issues raised here, it is not cheap and this is likely to put people off from purchasing; including myself :| I would still also like to know if anyone recommends Venture on the A8 / has got any further playing it / completed it / enjoyed it / rating out of 10 / review of this version :?:

completed it, good game,

but

too easy and too repetitive

it even has a PM glitch (see my post on the 5200 forum)

and presentation sucks

labels are awful and carts loose and tightened with tape (?!),

small 32k game,not worth 50 u$s + Shipping ...

• Like 1

Its as good or better than what we would've gotten back in the day. Fluid movement, great sound, a few extras.

The original game was modeled after the CV version (I wish Pete would've asked the community about this before making the decision). The problem with the CV version is that its easier than the arcade by a wide margin. I fired up MAME to see how my skills have improved since the 80's and I was able to get through 4 maps. With this version I can rip through for quite some time.

This version comes with a 'Challenger' option which adds a new level and some twists. This one is harder and pretty fun to play - once I get my game room back together Ill put some more time on this option.

Things missed by using the CV version as the model:

1. Winky grabing his bow and walking down into the dungeon (nitpick :) )

2. Winky being able to shoot his bow in the Hall of Monsters area (I forgot you could do this in the arcade though it has no effect)

3. The first map "wall room" behaves differently as the levels change, this is not done

4. The monster movements vary slightly in the XE/CV version from the arcade - esp on map 3 (gold map)

One thing I dont remember is how aggressive the Monsters are in the outside Hall. In this version they are very aggressive like the arcade.

• Like 1

We solved the Cart shell problem back when the first post was made about it and there will be no more carts with tape going out. They are sealed properly.

The anim with winky grabbing his bow and entering the dungeon was left out for space reasons in the cart. we wanted to keep it at 32k for the 5200 release.

We solved the Cart shell problem back when the first post was made about it and there will be no more carts with tape going out. They are sealed properly.

The anim with winky grabbing his bow and entering the dungeon was left out for space reasons in the cart. we wanted to keep it at 32k for the 5200 release.

What I can't understand is why any carts with tape were going out.

What I can't understand is why any carts with tape were going out.

I wasn't aware that it was happening until i read it here. We don't make the carts, Lance at Video61 Does them for us.

Not that I need to explain myself to you or anyone else on this forum.

Edited by Kjmann

Not trying to stir the pot here, but. Nice of you to come in and say that the issue will be fixed. Not so cool of you to say you don't owe anyone. If my name was attached to something selling for $50 (sorry - for me, this is a decent chunk of change, not something I can just piss away), I would like to know if it is a quality product or a hacked piece of shit held together with Scotch tape. Just my humble opinion, feel free to ignore it.

• Like 9

Not trying to stir the pot here, but. Nice of you to come in and say that the issue will be fixed. Not so cool of you to say you don't owe anyone. If my name was attached to something selling for $50 (sorry - for me, this is a decent chunk of change, not something I can just piss away), I would like to know if it is a quality product or a hacked piece of shit held together with Scotch tape. Just my humble opinion, feel free to ignore it.

Was it said that it would be fixed? I think $50 is too much for a game like this, not that I need to explain myself to you, Stephen.

If the 5200 version comes out at the same price.. I'll have to pass on it.

Edit: I see in post #86 it will be fixed.

Edited by Official Ninja

I wasn't aware that it was happening until i read it here. We don't make the carts, Lance at Video61 Does them for us.

And neither I or anyone else on the forum needs to buy a product from someone with that kind of attitude.

• Like 6

I was thinking of actually buying this, but as I read the thread I see arrogance and condescension from someone whom clearly does not remember who helped with previous projects. I definately would have pushed towards the arcade version, and I have an uncanny way of having glitches find me, which has always worked to better the end product for whomever I tested for.

From a hobby/business sense I would have offered to refurbish or replace the poor product from Lance at Video61, to me it would be a matter of pride and character.

I am glad that a product was produced. I am saddened by the attitude from multiple parties surrounding it. I feel as though all we get are empassioned responses. Very little can be accomplished if there is only an attack/defense and entrench mentality...

All things being equal My hope goes towards both parties realizing the mistakes and resolving it amicably. Life is too short it should be easy to redress the issue. I always base purchases on such things as do most here. Please don't leave us down... remember we rely on each other. Ultimately we need each others support. Make it count.

• Like 2

As a decades long owner and enthusiast of the A8 line with limited time I have to thank you for your very clear and concise answer. It makes it immediately crystal clear if I should support anything, ever... by you, any group, project, or distributor that you are related to!

• Like 2

Its as good or better than what we would've gotten back in the day. Fluid movement, great sound, a few extras.

The original game was modeled after the CV version (I wish Pete would've asked the community about this before making the decision). The problem with the CV version is that its easier than the arcade by a wide margin. I fired up MAME to see how my skills have improved since the 80's and I was able to get through 4 maps. With this version I can rip through for quite some time.

This version comes with a 'Challenger' option which adds a new level and some twists. This one is harder and pretty fun to play - once I get my game room back together Ill put some more time on this option.

Things missed by using the CV version as the model:

1. Winky grabing his bow and walking down into the dungeon (nitpick :) )

2. Winky being able to shoot his bow in the Hall of Monsters area (I forgot you could do this in the arcade though it has no effect)

3. The first map "wall room" behaves differently as the levels change, this is not done

4. The monster movements vary slightly in the XE/CV version from the arcade - esp on map 3 (gold map)

One thing I dont remember is how aggressive the Monsters are in the outside Hall. In this version they are very aggressive like the arcade.

I had discussions with KJMANN12 regarding making it more arcade, but wanted to be closer to the Coleco Vision. I had to compromise and did a few things that were easily done on the Atari 8-bit like textured walls in the rooms. I also did an animation similar to the Arcade when a hall monster pops into a room. This also does not have any weird pauses or hesitations with the controls, that is probably why this version is easier to play. Because some found it too easy, I decided to add the challenger mode. So Venture on the Atari 8-bit is unique.

Well I have moved onto other projects, One is a new version of Tempest that will be taking advantage of VBXE if detected. It still can be played on a standard Atari and default to player/missile graphics.

The other game is a large room by room adventure that I derived from Venture source code. It is essentially the 2600 Adventure + Venture on steroids. It uses multicolor sprites and Super IRG mode to make the game very colorful.

• Like 4

Sorry Sal but when you are selling a product in the previous quality then you DO OWE AN EXPLANATION, you have very animatedly claimed the product as yours in posts at me in this thread so yes, you owe an explanation not only to the previous buyers but to settle the minds of potential customers, its called good business practice....

I suggest that you rethink your above post as its already done harm....As a person who has chatted to you as a friend I really think you should redo that post, you do have other projects coming that you want to sell.

Edited by Mclaneinc

Can I just point out that the quality of the product in post #97 refers PURELY to the early packaging of the cart and not the game quality which may I say looks stunning, a truly lovely arcade port.

Shame I'll never see it in person but there you go...

Just wanted to make it clear in case gets the wrong idea about the game, I hope its flying out the door in quantity as I type, it deserves to..

Edited by Mclaneinc

I'm not trying to start a flame war here -- but do want to state that both of my cartridges were sealed quite nicely. Without tape. The clear clamshell packages are also a VAST improvement over Video 61's old white boxes, which were fragile and often arrived crushed (and in one case, pancake-flat) despite adequate packaging.