IGNORED

Boulder Dash (R) For Intellivision

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Posted on facebook:

Boulder Dash for the Intellivision is finished! What is happening now is we are going to do some minor tweaking to the sounds, and track down a bug....then the game is off to First Star Software, Inc. for approval. Once approved, it will be tested for bugs and then probably ship at the end of November 2014 in time for the 30th anniversary of Boulder Dash! All materials are printed and all that is required is the final program for it to ship. Ordering details will be posted when ready to ship.

• Like 6

I am still trying to understand.

Someone from Atari Age emailed First Star Software, Inc. like they were a homebrew operation instead of a software publishing company that owns digital property. The writer stated that they "won't buy Boulder Dash CIB because [they] feel all ROMs, of a homebrew title, on a 35 year old system, should be free".

I guess the writer does not realize that the ROM image will not be released except under the protected ROM image model. So, option 1, offer a protected ROM for $15; option 2, no ROM offered at all; option 3, there is no other option.

Boulder Dash® is a commercial game offered by legitimate corporations for sale for the Intellevision and other platforms. The Intellivison version is being published by Classic Game Publishers, Inc. under license and contract by First Star Software, Inc. for the 30th anniversary of Boulder Dash® this year.

The digital ROMs can only be distributed under license, which costs money. First Star will only allow distribution under the protected ROM model. End of story.

To the email writer, I will be buying the copy that you don't. I normally buy 2 copies of all releases, this time I will buy three. No sales will be lost.

Initially not too much, just different levels with a few new elements (growing walls, slime) added. But there are 1000s of levels for the original created from the construction kit and later fan made better construction kits, with even more elements.

Never cared for the later versions.

The writer stated that they "won't buy Boulder Dash CIB because [they] feel all ROMs, of a homebrew title, on a 35 year old system, should be free"..

Someone forcing his own opinion on others is nothing but a radical fanatic.

Or maybe somebody forgot to take his pills. :)

Did they actually tell first star they were from AA? Did they reveal their name? Or was it sn assumption the individual was from AA?

Didn't Elektronite reveal the BD rom sale on Facebook as well?

Im playing devils advocate here.

A discussion of who sent the email is immaterial and does not add or detract from what I posted about the ROM release and I will not be involved in it. If you want to talk about the ROM release, I am more than happy to talk about it.