IGNORED

Huge collection of Atari 8-bit software on BD-R

Dragon375

Dragon375,

I think you have missed the point here, I can't imagine any forum is going to sit happily with you selling software from their site, especially if they start getting cease and desist emails from current devs.

As I've said all along I'd love to see what is in the collection, chances are we will all have most of it but even if there's 10 items not seen anywhere it would be worth it to get them so they could be shared. So I imagine a few of us including me wrote PM's to you making you an offer of a little money (and yes you can disclose what I wrote) if only so it could be given to one of our FTP guys to be stripped of current stuff and put on display for all FREE.

And t here's the rub, wherever you put it eventually one of us will stump up just the once to get it and make it a free FTP and of course post back to that site saying where it is for free..

So it looks like you get to hold on to your stuff, or you could be a PROPER Atarian as you claim you are and do what we all have and pool the resources. You want to make money from Atari, sell your hardware, people here would jump at it normally but making money off the old games and new current stuff is frowned upon pretty much everywhere.

Even people like me who were part of the scene in the old days NEVER sold a single bit of software, never, I did swap yes but sell no, I know people who did, in fact my old friend was the first guy done in court for it but me personally, I just liked collecting and playing. Did it make me a good person back then, No, of course not but even I had some morals.

When I 'grew up' after the scene I wished I'd done things differently as I realised I'd helped shrink the flow of software from the Devs, I can't change the past but now I respect people's wishes and support the dev's, I even beta test stuff and trust me, it goes NOWHERE. I've known TMR on here for many years and as a reviewer he gets stuff before release to play with, ask him if I've ever asked him for a bit of software on any machine..Nope, not once, I'd never do that and I know TMR would tell me very quickly to go forth and multiply and rightly so.

I buy my bits on the C64 for 1.99 a go, its not a lot of money but the devs who I pay keep pumping out software which is brilliant..

The moral, if you respect the Atari folk then don't try and profit off them, if they want to share they will...You could do the same...

Dragon375,

I think you have missed the point here, I can't imagine any forum is going to sit happily with you selling software from their site, especially if they start getting cease and desist emails from current devs.

As I've said all along I'd love to see what is in the collection, chances are we will all have most of it but even if there's 10 items not seen anywhere it would be worth it to get them so they could be shared. So I imagine a few of us including me wrote PM's to you making you an offer of a little money (and yes you can disclose what I wrote) if only so it could be given to one of our FTP guys to be stripped of current stuff and put on display for all FREE.

And t here's the rub, wherever you put it eventually one of us will stump up just the once to get it and make it a free FTP and of course post back to that site saying where it is for free..

So it looks like you get to hold on to your stuff, or you could be a PROPER Atarian as you claim you are and do what we all have and pool the resources. You want to make money from Atari, sell your hardware, people here would jump at it normally but making money off the old games and new current stuff is frowned upon pretty much everywhere.

Even people like me who were part of the scene in the old days NEVER sold a single bit of software, never, I did swap yes but sell no, I know people who did, in fact my old friend was the first guy done in court for it but me personally, I just liked collecting and playing. Did it make me a good person back then, No, of course not but even I had some morals.

When I 'grew up' after the scene I wished I'd done things differently as I realised I'd helped shrink the flow of software from the Devs, I can't change the past but now I respect people's wishes and support the dev's, I even beta test stuff and trust me, it goes NOWHERE. I've known TMR on here for many years and as a reviewer he gets stuff before release to play with, ask him if I've ever asked him for a bit of software on any machine..Nope, not once, I'd never do that and I know TMR would tell me very quickly to go forth and multiply and rightly so.

I buy my bits on the C64 for 1.99 a go, its not a lot of money but the devs who I pay keep pumping out software which is brilliant..

The moral, if you respect the Atari folk then don't try and profit off them, if they want to share they will...You could do the same...

Wow, what an emotional post. You really think I am such a villain. If you scroll back to my original post in this thread, you would see that my original intention was to just try to break even on the deal. Everyone here just thinks I should just give up everything I have and go into debt to distribute what I have. Seriously? I am currently uploading to a server that will use it to build a website for the good of the community. I stated that at least 10 posts ago. I have cancelled my offer for the disks. The source of where I got the stuff is actually none of your business. But do know that I have invested in my software as well. Everyone here has been so sure of who I am and what I am doing that they find it impossible to even be civil. Which is why when push comes to shove, I decided to share it out to a server that will use it to create a site to benefit everyone. A point was made that a server might charge a "membership fee" to cover operating costs. Guess what, the nastiness started flowing again. Ratio sites and membership only servers have existed since back in the BBS days, and personally I was a member of quite a few. What do you suppose would have happened if I had suggested the owner of those site just drop all their membership criteria and let the general public eat their bandwidth with no way to support their sites. I can tell you, but I think you could probably guess their response. Sharing is great, but at the end of the day it isnt "sharing" if all you want is to leech the hard work of the collectors. All I hear is "Gimme Gimme Gimme". I have answered every point it was possible to answer. I agreed to remove anything that the copyright owners asked me to. Yet, I still listen to squabbling over what I am doing wrong. It really sounds like a bunch of sour grapes to me. And I hear it over and over in loads of versions. It is that very attitude that will kill the community. God bless the developers that are continuing to develop for A8. I drop cash to support them when they create something I want. I hope you do too. At the end of the day, what I do is my own responsibility. I dont see all those who run their mouths in this thread as following their own advice. Where are all THEIR sites, where are their sharing archives, are they really so near to sainthood that they condemn others in public, then try to swing the deal they bitch about in private? The very definition of sharing is a mutual trade-off, both benefiting.but for some odd reason what I offered was deemed non-mutual. Think about it.

This really isn't a big deal. None (or certainly few) of us are strict followers of copyright law and if you don't think this offering is a good deal then don't buy it. The only people who should still be posting are those whose licensing forbids the selling of their software in such a collection. This is just like the old user group days where the club officers would sternly denounce piracy.... and then get together after the meeting for a copy party.

• Like 1

This really isn't a big deal. None (or certainly few) of us are strict followers of copyright law and if you don't think this offering is a good deal then don't buy it. The only people who should still be posting are those whose licensing forbids the selling of their software in such a collection. This is just like the old user group days where the club officers would sternly denounce piracy.... and then get together after the meeting for a copy party.

Amen.

Last word, you were not ever looking to 'break even', by putting it on a server that charges means you are profiting..

Please don't dress it up.....You chose a Pay site to pay you end of....And as many know the pay sites were warez sites in 99% of cases.

Can't even be arsed to point out my stuff to get it out...

EOL....................................

Yes, very true and more than people realise....The places software fell out of would amaze.

Just annoyed that I and others spent all that time and effort on a very slow modem uploading our entire collections so the community could have it only for someone to not be part of the team and make some cash from it. Fed up of the "how much it cost me I want to make something on top" stuff, it cost ALL of us, I think I own half of bloody BT with the bills I had.

Sigh.....Its the attitude that annoys..

Edited by Mclaneinc

Sigh.....Its the attitude that annoys..

True.. Since this thread started atarimania has added 1 new atari 8-bit book, 1 new 8-bit program, 21 new ST dumps, 6 new magazines, 4 new manuals .. I hope someday they build a local interface for the database they have been building for years and sell it on a USB drive.. That would be worth more that 20 bucks to me even without the binaries.

To the OP: You keep saying good bye, it's like watching a bad actors death seen as he flops around the room for 20 minutes after being shot... Go start your site and good luck on making that mint.

• Like 3

If all you want is to leech the hard work of the collectors. All I hear is "Gimme Gimme Gimme". ............... then try to swing the deal they bitch about in private? The very definition of sharing is a mutual trade-off, both benefiting.but for some odd reason what I offered was deemed non-mutual. Think about it.

Hard work of collectors... :-o how about hard work of the authors :? , did you think about compensating them from the proceeds? (don't count me in, as my code is GPL but there are others who have copyrights on theirs)

I haven't PM ed you with any deals so don't put everybody in the same basket, your biggest mistake was to come here and DECLARE that you are distributing these for profit WITHOUT asking authors' permissions first, so you had it coming from the get go.

Edited by atari8warez
  • Like 1

Please speak for yourself only.

Who do you think I'm speaking for? I was a part of the Atari scene and this sort of thing was the norm. The local Atari UG president secretly ran an exclusive pirate BBS. A friend of mine was a member and I was floored when I found out who hosted it. I've heard similar stories from other people. It's really kind of comical now. Heck, Atari itself leaked the Lucasfilm betas. There was no honor anywhere.

• Like 1

Last word, you were not ever looking to 'break even', by putting it on a server that charges means you are profiting..

Please don't dress it up.....You chose a Pay site to pay you end of....And as many know the pay sites were warez sites in 99% of cases.

Can't even be arsed to point out my stuff to get it out...

EOL....................................

of course if you fucking read the post it was a "what if" scenario.

you have your panties in a bunch about something that is not going to happen. Then you say "last word" and make another post.

the stuff will be available to all, but probably not announced or linked to here due to the general crappy attitude of this thread.

the stuff will be available to all, but probably not announced or linked to here due to the general crappy attitude of this thread.

By all means punish an entire forum community over a few who have pissed you off in this thread :roll:

Crappy attitude indeed.............

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

Hmm. I went through the list this morning.. With this link and the other links in this thread I don't see much on the provided list that is not already available with a few clicks (I did not go through the entire list in detail).. I also took the games in his list that started with the letter "A" and could find nothing that was not already in the atarimania archive.. Though there were over 50 in Atarimania that were not it his list (I stopped looking at 50). A similar archive for someone who just wants a lot of Atari material could be put together over a weekend if someone wanted to commit to doing a lot of downloading. Maybe its time to make one... looking at the printed material that was missed that is readily available and adding it would probably put it in the 40 gig range to start... That's assuming the 23 Gig mentioned in the original post is correct.

I'd love the meta data that atarimania has but baring that at least there would be a complete archive. There is some real work involved in organizing and removing duplicates (the list provided was rife with them) so that new finds could be added and specific nuggets removed.

Edited by ThumpNugget

Who do you think I'm speaking for? I was a part of the Atari scene and this sort of thing was the norm. The local Atari UG president secretly ran an exclusive pirate BBS. A friend of mine was a member and I was floored when I found out who hosted it. I've heard similar stories from other people. It's really kind of comical now. Heck, Atari itself leaked the Lucasfilm betas. There was no honor anywhere.

Do you imply everybody pirated then!, I know I haven't, that's probably why I didn't have a large collection of software other than what was available on legit BBSes and my own purchases. Maybe because I was too old when I've got my first Atari to have a circle of friends I can share software with. LOL

Do you imply everybody pirated then!, I know I haven't, that's probably why I didn't have a large collection of software other than what was available on legit BBSes and my own purchases. Maybe because I was too old when I've got my first Atari to have a circle of friends I can share software with. LOL

In my original post I said:

None (or certainly few) of us are strict followers of copyright law.

If you never pirated anything, then you were certainly one of the few.

of course if you fucking read the post it was a "what if" scenario.

you have your panties in a bunch about something that is not going to happen. Then you say "last word" and make another post.

As this is directed at me I'll reply..

To quote the OP

I am currently uploading to a server that will use it to build a website for the good of the community

A point was made that a server might charge a "membership fee" to cover operating costs. Guess what, the nastiness started flowing again. Ratio sites and membership only servers have existed since back in the BBS days, and personally I was a member of quite a few.

Seems like its not a what if scenario...Its a when...

If that's not your point then make your posts clearer..

Might you be the provider of this new destination for the software?

As for the shitty attitude you have to blame the OP, in all fairness if the guy had bothered to read the forums a bit he would have spotted that in the last month its been full of dev's showing their new bits so then wading in with a BD rom for sale and saying you want to make a few bucks for yourself could be considered either inconsiderate or down right nasty.

After he was challenged he offered to remove the bits but to be honest the damage was done.

Am I an ultra clean "oh I hate pirates" person, No, if you knew anything about me you would know the real truth that all in here do but the reason I protest is that I've got a lot of good friends in here that are devs and fellow Atarians who have been brilliant towards me over the years, so to see them being taken advantage of annoys.

Now please, if you are in on this new project then go ahead, do what you will but please enough about this, if you and Dragon stop replying about it then so will I..

• Like 4

I find it hilarious that the OP thinks he's owed something for the labor of leeching from PirateBay and/or archive sites and burning a disk.

With most of the Atari 8-bit/ST scene being a bunch of pirates anyway.... don't you think we know where to find this stuff? Do you think we're so old we don't know what BitTorrent or FTP is? Do you think most of us are really on the net using dial-up connections on our Atari 8-bits? LOL