IGNORED

Help with SIO2USB

Merrick Bill

I just go an email to upgrade the firmware of my SIO2USB. So I dug it up and did. Then I figured I should play with it since it was out. I have the USB stick that came with the unit and it works fine. So I decided to dedicate another small USB stick to it. But the SIO2USB tells me that every other USB stick I own is incombatable.

Anyone know what kind of USB stick I will work with this unit? What are the compatability issues with this thing?

Any experts here?

Bill

Hello Bill

Your best bet would be to try and contact Thomas or Harry (the guys behind the SIO2USB interface). It seems that (the manufacturers of) most modern devices (like USB sticks) deviate from the standards each time they blink their eyes. IIRC Thomas and Harry have tested lots of USB sticks and should be able to give you a list of what works and what doesn't (although the list will never be complete).

Sincerely

Mathy

Hello Bill

Your best bet would be to try and contact Thomas or Harry (the guys behind the SIO2USB interface). It seems that (the manufacturers of) most modern devices (like USB sticks) deviate from the standards each time they blink their eyes. IIRC Thomas and Harry have tested lots of USB sticks and should be able to give you a list of what works and what doesn't (although the list will never be complete).

Sincerely

Mathy

Thanks. I'll contact them.

Bill

Thanks Dragon. That really helped. I found three thumb drives I could repurpose. I did a bunch of google searches before I posted the question and nothing came up. I couldn't even find the FAQ. The SIO2USB is a good product, but the guys who built it don't seem to know much about web design.

Bill

One other thing to take in mind:

The system does not allow you to use more than 2GB. So when you format a stick larger than 2gb with the format tool that belongs to the sio2usb interface a partition of 2GB is created and the rest of the space is unallocated space on the stick.

But.....

I found out that some larger sticks do work on the first try, but later it turned out to be a false hope. So I stick with working sticks not larger than 2GB

I once bought a bargain package of 5 DANE/ELEC colourful sticks. 2GB each. They work perfect and I still regret I did not buy another package back then.

Hello (Merrick) Bill

The site's been online for ages and has never been updated graphics wise. Whenever I meet Thomas and Harry, they are always working on the software for the SIO2USB. Guess that means they have little time and choose "software development" over "web design".

Sincerely

Mathy

Edited by Mathy

Well,

I directed some "evil" questions at the annual Abbuc meeting (JHV) to Thomas Grasel, one of the SIO2USB developers. One of the questions was, if they will support FAT32 some day, since 2GB USB sticks are getting harder to find. And his answer was a) why not take a cheap 32GB stick and reserve 2GB for the SIO2USB ? and b) but yes, we are planning to do this, alas it will take some time, please be patient.

-Andreas Koch.

Edited by CharlieChaplin

Did you guys know by the way that the internal memory is a microSD card in an inboard SD to microSD adapter.

Although I understand their choice to let this a sio2USB interface in the first place I would have appreciated a lot when that sd card would also have a slot on this device.

Hello Pro-Wizard

Thomas once told me why they used the SD card and why it's not user accessible. Unfortunately, I forgot what it was. But at the time it seemed plausible.

Sincerely

Mathy

It is not user accessible because there is certain data on that disk needed for proper operation of the Sio2USB. I understand that, but for me it is not a problem to do it right; so because some people might get issues do to that (not having the data on the SD card) they kept the SD card inside only.

The other reason is, that this is a sio2USB interface. Well... when this device would accept ALL USB-sticks I would agree, but since a certain amount of USB sticks do not work on this device, I thought: hmmmm that SD slot would be interesting to use.

But I still am very very very satisfied with the interface.