IGNORED

For anyone else who got a DOA PS4....

KrazyKaiju

If you get the blinking blue light of death shortly after or during the inital firmware update, pull out he HD and restart the PS4 without a drive, then restart again after reinstalling the drive. It apparently forces a full format of the drive and a nuke and pave of the firmware. Make sure you're connected to the internet via ethernet though.

If you get the black screen of death, you've got an HDMI handshake problem and you're SOL. Call Sony and they'll send you a coffin in 3-5 days to mail the system in. You'll get a REFURB system back in 2-3 weeks. They won't replace it with a new one, even after escalating to level 2 CS.

In my case, the damned thing is going back to Amazon for a full refund (Amazon won't have any stock to replace it with until January). It was an early Christmas present from my Mom so I can't be really upset, though this feels way too much like the 360 red ring fiasco for comfort. I hope everyone else has better luck.

Seems like several early recipients of PS4 systems are having problems:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/14/broken-playstation-4-systems

Not sure what Sony means when they say "Its only a small percentage of units shipped". Ummm, does that mean of **ALL** units shipped (since the vast majority haven't been picked up yet, how can you tell?) or of units shipped early to customers?

Anyway, congrat's on getting another system. As for me, I'm happy I cancelled my PS4 and XB1 pre-orders.

Edited by Mendon

Update 2: Replacement arrived this afternoon. UPS guy took the bad PS4 with him (Amazon already had the RMA in UPS's system, so I didn't have to do anything but hand him the box and sign the receipt machine-dohickey.) I can't say enough good things about how Amazon took care of my problems and really came through for me. Not too thrilled with Sony CS though.

Anyway, after about two hours of use, everything seems fine. This time the update went through without issue. The HDMI connector also feels more 'solid'. In the other unit, the head of the cable had a bit of wiggle to it when plugged in, which may be what was causing the black screens. Might be something to watch out for if anyone else gets a launch unit.

Also, Killzone and Black Flag both look amazing. Knack is kinda meh.

• Like 3

If you get the chance, check out the reviews on Amazon's pages for the different launch bundles: almost half of every PS4 shipped to Amazon customers is receiving a one star rating, with the vast majority of the reasons being DOA out of the box with pulsating Blue light and no video.

And it doesn't appear the ratings are fake as the ones I looked over and read were all listed as a "Verified Amazon Purchase".

Example Ratings:

PS4 Battlefield 4 Bundle: 149 - 5 Star, 13 - 2 Star, 8 - 3 Star, 7 - 2 Star, 115 - 1 Star

PS4 Launch System: 1,196 - 5 Star, 106 - 4 Star, 38 - 3 Star, 33 - 2 Star, 552 - 5 Star

Not sure what is going on but if you have a working system and received it from Amazon, count your blessings!

Edited by Mendon

If you get the chance, check out the reviews on Amazon's pages for the different launch bundles: almost half of every PS4 shipped to Amazon customers is receiving a one star rating, with the vast majority of the reasons being DOA out of the box with pulsating Blue light and no video.

And it doesn't appear the ratings are fake as the ones I looked over and read were all listed as a "Verified Amazon Purchase".

Example Ratings:

PS4 Battlefield 4 Bundle: 149 - 5 Star, 13 - 2 Star, 8 - 3 Star, 7 - 2 Star, 115 - 1 Star

PS4 Launch System: 1,196 - 5 Star, 106 - 4 Star, 38 - 3 Star, 33 - 2 Star, 552 - 5 Star

Not sure what is going on but if you have a working system and received it from Amazon, count your blessings!

Ouch! I bought a launch system on Friday from GameStop...haven't opened it yet, as I am still deciding whether or not to just sell it on eBay in a week or two when (if) the prices skyrocket. IMHO, there aren't too many spectacular launch titles, and all of the ones I want to play, I can get, or already have for my 360. Now, with the whole DOA console thing, I am concerned that if I wait to sell it, and can't find a buyer, I might get stuck with a DOA console...decisions decisions....

Mine will he here tomorrow. I purchased it from Amazon prior to hearing about all these issues with PS4s coming from Amazon and the rumor that someone at Foxxconn may have sabotaged the ps4s he worked on. I decided to leave my order and take a chance on 1) those rumors being untrue and 2) the talk of DOA systems being overblown.

Really looking forward to trying out resogun. Reminds me of Defender, a lot. Also have Killzone, which is a series I haven't really followed since the original KZ, and Knack.

This is why Nintendo is the only company I trust to buy day one consoles from.

Mine will he here tomorrow. I purchased it from Amazon prior to hearing about all these issues with PS4s coming from Amazon and the rumor that someone at Foxxconn may have sabotaged the ps4s he worked on.

Source? :ponder:

Mostly other forums but I found this article after a web search. Can't vouch for the site but it lays out basically what is going around on forums. Also, I'm not saying I buy it. Sounds incredibly stupid to one, do it and two, admit to doing it.

http://www.dailytech.com/Foxconn+Interns+Reportedly+Damaged+PS4+Consoles+Sony+Celebrates+1+Million+Sales+in+24+Hours/article33765.htm

Edited by GKC

I wouldn't be too scared. From what I've been reading on Neogaf, busted PS4s will either hang on the firmware update (which is user fixable with the drive swap trick), have a bad HDMI port, or be completely DOA with a red light. In my case, I had both a bad port and the system hung while applying the initial firmware update.

My replacement PS4 is perfectly fine, so if you get one that works out of the box you're golden. All the problem PS4s present their issues immediately, so there isn't any ticking-time bomb, so to speak.

If you are misfortunate enough to get a bad one, avoid going through Sony Customer Service if possible. My experience pretty much convinced me that they just don't give a shit.

• Like 1

If you are misfortunate enough to get a bad one, avoid going through Sony Customer Service if possible. My experience pretty much convinced me that they just don't give a shit.

Bummer because after what I went through with my launch 360 I was really considering purchasing the extended warranty through Sony just for peace of mind. Would it be just a waste of money?

Edited by GKC

Going all the way back to 1996, my experiences with Sony Customer Service for PlayStation hardware have been horrible. Massively long turnarounds, items not repaired, attempts to charge for repairs even when under warranty, lost items, you name it.

In contrast, they have done a great job with my TVs and other electronics, often repairing things for free even out of warranty.

It came today. Played it for a couple of hours before work but everything worked fine. Hopefully that continues.

I only played it briefly but from that experience Resogun is everything I thought it would be. If anyone is into Shmups and particularly defender it's a must. Killzone seemed kind of slow paced but I only got into the second chapter so hopefully the pace picks up.

I saw the option to purchase the warranty with amazon but had decided to go with Sony since I believe I have a year or something to purchase it. I figured I'd spend the money on a game now and pick up the warranty in the future after the holidays. Too bad about Sony's poor CS. I will say that it was a pain sending in 360 after 360 (I think it ended up being 3) but every time MS was curtious and I got my console back quickly..... It just didn't work for very long :)