Nice to see Armada get a shout. Can't wait to see the rest of the dc vids. Actually, I'll have to go back home and really watch this one too--since I skipped through quickly.

Since I'm into vehicle games, Airforce Delta is really high on my personal list. I know there were a few games in this series, but it nevery really took off, and the first one was my favorite.

Wacky Races was also good fun for a kart racer. That cel shaded stye has really aged well.

SF Rush 2049 was about the best arcade racer I've played--but I don't know how hidden it was, because it was all over the few arcades left at the time. It really had no business being as good as it was. I just turn the engine sounds down a little, the music up a lot and zone out with that game for hours.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

I only had a couple of the one's in the video! Now Metal Jesus will make me spend money again. :P

There's some cool hidden gems on DC...if I remember always had these in mind:

Record of Lodoss War - Kind of like PSO or Diablo....I liked it.

Wild Metal - A tank game by Rockstar games that for seem reason enjoyed it a lot

EGG - Wierd RPG and the second game I bought on DC

Evolution - Another weird RPG that I thought wasn't too bad. Hitting monsters with a frying pan was just too funny.

Silver - Another unsung game of RPG goodness.

I liked other popular titles like Blue Stinger, Grandia II and Mr. Driller.

I definitely preferred the DC versions of Alone in the Dark and Grandia. Prince of Persia was a disapponting port...had high hopes for it. Other games I spent time with were the Legacy of Kain games and Nightmare Creatures 2.

Edited by cimerians
  • Like 1

So, how long have you known Billy Mays?

Anyway, I played a little bit of Armada. It seemed like a solid enough game, but it also seemed that there was lots of grinding involved.

That was the best part. Then, far too soon, I topped out, the grinding stopped, and my copy of armada went back into its case never to be played again.

Edited by Reaperman

I liked Maze madness too.

I'm not sure what games would qualify as hidden gems, but there are too many favorites for me on that system to count. Plasma Sword, Floigan Bros and MDK2 come to mind as standouts that aren't quite on the A-List of notability.

And StarLancer. Ohhh.... so good.

Edited by MagitekAngel

Another great video Metal Jesus! I've added some of those games to my list of games to look for when I'm shopping the local racks. I second Grandia II as a great DC game. I also think Shenmue has to be mentioned despite its popularity on the system. It really was groundbreaking for its time and it showed what the next generation of consoles were capable of. I also enjoyed Illbleed. It's quirky and different.

Two of the greatest games ever on the Dreamcast IMO were Shadowman and Omikron: The Nomad Soul.

I don't think either was a huge hit, although at the same time not sure they could be considered hidden gems either.

Maybe Omikron since it wasn't available on any other consoles.

Two of the greatest games ever on the Dreamcast IMO were Shadowman and Omikron: The Nomad Soul.

I don't think either was a huge hit, although at the same time not sure they could be considered hidden gems either.

Maybe Omikron since it wasn't available on any other consoles.

Yep, i had those games on the Dreamcast and enjoyed playing them. I don't have my Dreamcast anymore but fortunately both games were also released on the PC. I grabbed them at gog.com and played about halfway through Omikron. That sure brought back memories but i had forgotten how hard the shooter sequences in Omikron are... :lol:

• 3 years later...

Sega Dreamcast, the one system that more or less outside of Capcom (non-Resident Evil) releases and a select few outliers (Skies of Arcadia, Illbleed, etc) most of it can still be had CIB in that lovely $3-30 range, a few more creep up around the old retail $50 price but not over which is fantastic. Definitely the Sega system to own in my book, which is why it's the only one I've retained after dumping my Genesis and GameGear fairly recently.

• Like 1

2 things though:

1) the DC is loud, I believe it to be the first of the consoles to launch with a loud fan, it annoys me, not a deal-breaker but I already had a PC for that (loud fan I mean).

2) the controllers are ill suited for fighting games ....sigh .... nothing that a Saturn to DC adapter won't fix but still.

Eh they're no worse really than playing on any other period controller, though the Nintendo d-pad was comfort #1 unless you got into sticks. DC had that Agetec(in US) release Sega arcade setup that was just truly fantastic. And it is loud on load, almost sounds like a death grind at times, but you get used to it.

Personally I'm surprised just how well the system has aged on some of the games, they really don't come off looking dated even when not on the VGA Box. In some it's just a wow like Soul Calibur, but others due to crazy art style as well. DC is like right on the edge of the old gen and the new (2001+) where the stuff is good enough to not feel poor or dated unless someone was just a lazy foul up and didn't try well (like Slave Zero looking like even for N64 a chunky cart game.)

2 things though:

1) the DC is loud, I believe it to be the first of the consoles to launch with a loud fan, it annoys me, not a deal-breaker but I already had a PC for that (loud fan I mean).

2) the controllers are ill suited for fighting games ....sigh .... nothing that a Saturn to DC adapter won't fix but still.

Agreed on both. That GDROM drive is crazy loud. When it was first released I liked the controller but now not so much. Still a cool system that's crazy cheap even today.

• Like 1

It is loud, yeah, but it was about average for its generation. The PS2's fan was equally loud; the Xbox's fan and hard drive were *much* louder than anything in the DC.

As for fighting games, I'll also grant you that the standard controller was not the best, but the DC made up for it with two of the best console arcade sticks ever released in the US, the official Dreamcast Arcade Stick (released here by Agetec) and the Interact Alloy arcade stick.

The PS2's fan was equally loud; the Xbox's fan and hard drive were *much* louder than anything in the DC.

This is not my experience... but then I do think Sega would have created a Model 2 version of the DC if given the chance and revised a lot of these little complaints. Sadly, it wasn't meant to be.

• Like 1