IGNORED

Xbox One may now be worth it

cimerians

....for me.

http://www.gamesradar.com/gold-members-getting-free-monthly-xbox-one-games/

Been WAITING for this to happen forever and now I think it's a done deal. Get free games for being an Xbox Live GOLD member.

Now I can possibly own two consoles and not buy as many games as I used to.

If anyone is familiar with PSplus this is soooo worth it. After only a few years you can build a nice library on just being a subscriber. I think it's totally worth it.

Since Microsoft and Sony are doing this now.....I wonder what happens with Steam. Granted the games they put on sale every year are so damn cheap I don't think this will happen with Steam as they get no income from users.

Edited by cimerians

But are the free games good games or crap games?

On PS Plus its been pretty darn good. I got Resident Evil 5, Borderlands, Saints Row 3, RPG's like Dragons Dogma and Kingdoms of Amular for free. Solid download games like Machinarium, Joe Danger, Trine etc.

Of course the big one's like Skyrim and Call of Duty almost never make the free list.

Also the free games are not permanent....they remove them after a period of time so if you miss out on them then it's back to waiting to see if they ever make the list again. I checkout most of them but DONT download them. Just so I can have them in my download list in case I ever want to download and play them.

Some really good games have been given away for free so far this year.

Halo 3

Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes

Rainbow Six: Vegas

Crackdown

Dead Rising 2

Assassin's Creed 2

...and a few others

Good games, but each worth 2 to 5 bucks in the bargain bin at this point...it's nice that it is a "value add" scenario with XBL, but nothing to write home about at the same time. Like the article said...Sony really forced Microsoft's hand on this one.

• Like 1

Even with this Steam is a million billion trillion gazillion times better than getting "free" games on Xbox Live or PSN. I'd rather pay $5 for a game I actually want during a Steam summer sale than let MS or Sony decide what they'll let me have "for free". I doubt Valve changes their model that already works just fine.

Even with this Steam is a million billion trillion gazillion times better than getting "free" games on Xbox Live or PSN. I'd rather pay $5 for a game I actually want during a Steam summer sale than let MS or Sony decide what they'll let me have "for free". I doubt Valve changes their model that already works just fine.

What is even better, is being a PC, X360 and XB1 gamer and taking advantage of deals on all the systems via Live, Steam and GOG! ;)

Microsoft is getting better about sales as well. They have weekly Live deals for both the Xbox and Windows Phone platforms. They have some free Live games for Windows Phone and for a short time here and there even give away retail games for free on Windows Phone. They also have several big sales on XB Live throughout the year, just like Steam and GOG.

What is even better, is being a PC, X360 and XB1 gamer and taking advantage of deals on all the systems via Live, Steam and GOG! ;)

Microsoft is getting better about sales as well. They have weekly Live deals for both the Xbox and Windows Phone platforms. They have some free Live games for Windows Phone and for a short time here and there even give away retail games for free on Windows Phone. They also have several big sales on XB Live throughout the year, just like Steam and GOG.

That's what I'm striving for...taking advantage of GOLD\PSN for consoles and Steam\GOG on PC.

My personal plan is to get free games through Live\PSN so my console library slowly builds and stick with Steam and GOG for my primary gaming.

The PS4 rocks guys....your going to love the Xbox One. Graphics are like a high end PC. I can say these consoles are definitely beefed up. My PC is only slightly jealous.

:P

The PS4 rocks guys....your going to love the Xbox One. Graphics are like a high end PC. I can say these consoles are definitely beefed up. My PC is only slightly jealous. :P

One of the things I care about is draw distance. I keep waiting for that to improve significantly. Are we there yet?

I think what's being asked is if the free games every 2 weeks was being dropped like a hot potato more so than the console itself. If that's the case, then I would expect it to be. They only ever advertised it as a program that was going to run up until the launch of the One anyway.

Microsoft-Xbox-360-New.jpg

One of the things I care about is draw distance. I keep waiting for that to improve significantly. Are we there yet?

Yeah it's better but I kind of doubt it will be unlimited like some people say but who knows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z36JFErehA#t=44

Also this video kind of compares stuff:

http://bf4central.com/2013/11/battlefield-4-current-gen-vs-next-gen-comparison-video/

In my opinion the graphics on these machines so far are like what I see on my PC on max settings but better. I have an Nvidia GTX 580 with 3GB GDDR Ram installed on a I7 with 16GB of ram. I bought that card in 2012.

These consoles are going at 8GB GDDR......so yeah the draw distance and everything else will look pretty much better but that depends on the developer I would think.

I've liked this machine's media capabilities all along. And every true hard core video game collector should get all the consoles to be able to play all exclusives. I just can't do it on this one until I've got the rest. Being the most expensive thing on the market when I'm living on my own (unlike last generation) makes me think more about the lower end. I haven't even experienced the 360 version of Kinect yet.

Are they still giving away games for the Xbox 360? Or are they dropping that machine like a hot potato, they way they did the first Xbox?

The 360 has sold almost 80 million units, as opposed to something like 24 million units for the original Xbox, so there's probably quite a few game sales left in it. That, and the fact that they just redesigned the thing (again) seems to bode for a little more support. It does seem they killed the original Xbox mighty quickly though, after 360 debut.

It's still a beast:

xbeast.JPG

Actually between that and the power brick...I'm not sure I have the room I think when the slim comes out I may fork over for one

xbox%20one%20power%20supply.jpeg

The XB1 takes up less space than my original X360 and the power brick is smaller as well. I actually like the design better than the original X360. I like the feel of the controller as well and the d-pad is improved.

Edited by Major Havoc 2049

I think what's being asked is if the free games every 2 weeks was being dropped like a hot potato more so than the console itself. If that's the case, then I would expect it to be. They only ever advertised it as a program that was going to run up until the launch of the One anyway.

The free games for the X360 and XB1 will be extended into 2014.

The XB1 takes up less space than my original X360 and the power brick is smaller as well. I actually like the design better than the original X360. I like the feel of the controller as well and the d-pad is improved.

You might want to check that again. My XB1 is slightly larger than my launch 360. Also, the new power brick, while shorter, is slightly wider than the original as well.

I don't know about that...my buddy has an original 360 as well and its still a bit bigger when I went over to play it. Especially since you can't flip the thing vertically and along with the power brick it's an X-Beast.

Like I mentioned if I get one down the road I will definitely hope for a smaller one. I'm pretty sure they will make one eventually.