IGNORED

Xbox One may now be worth it

cimerians

if your games stop working because your Xbox 360 has nothing to connect to, just buy a new console.

Or buy an older console and one of the hundreds of cheap games available for each of those older consoles.

In todays world no one wants for video games, there are literally millions available to everyone for free or next to nothing.

You can buy an original Xbox right now for $25 off eBay and load it up with thousands of games, this is why the majority of people don't care anymore.

I do think this is the first time I've ever seen someone comparing not being able to afford the latest console and games to sitting next to a screaming baby! It must REALLY pain you to not have the cash to buy One or PS4!! Maybe ask the boss for a raise? Once they realize how passionate you are about it, they might help you out.

Also comparing your not being able to afford the latest console and games to sit next to a screaming baby is if nothing else... odd.

The point was that she seems to think that everyone can just hop on a private jet. And there are people who think everyone can simply toss their console over their shoulder and buy the latest one. They also can't seem to grasp the concept that people might have a few favorite games that they'd like to go back and play, even if they can afford to buy the latest console.

The point was that she seems to think that everyone can just hop on a private jet. And there are people who think everyone can simply toss their console over their shoulder and buy the latest one. They also can't seem to grasp the concept that people might have a few favorite games that they'd like to go back and play, even if they can afford to buy the latest console.

I think her point was that if a person wants the perfect experience, catered specifically to them then they'd better be willing to go the extra mile for it because they aren't the only person in the world with wants and needs. If that means working extra to make the money to afford what they want, what exactly is the issue with that?

Some people just feel so self entitled they expect everything they want to be handed to them, and they want everyone around them to cater to them because they want something a certain way. It is a nice fantasy, but those people are for the most part annoying as hell in my opinion. Sounds like Deirdre Imus feels that way too.

The last paragraph of the above post sounds so much like my last boss. He should have just been grateful he actually had a caregiver who was willing to put up with his bitching. Some people can't find one and have to live in group homes because they can't find a caregiver of their own.

If I had still been there I could have gotten at least one of the new systems besides the cheap Ouya.

I do think this is the first time I've ever seen someone comparing not being able to afford the latest console and games to sitting next to a screaming baby! It must REALLY pain you to not have the cash to buy One or PS4!! Maybe ask the boss for a raise? Once they realize how passionate you are about it, they might help you out.

Are you done editing your post or do I need to come back in a few days? You have a talent for focusing on the one thing that doesn't matter. It could be a screaming baby or not enough leg room or whatever you can think of. Who cares? The point was that some people are "let them eat cake" types. I'll never get an Xbox One because they could reverse every decision that they've already reversed. I don't trust them anymore. When I go to buy a new console, it will probably be a PS4, unless another company pops up with a better console.

I think her point was that if a person wants the perfect experience, catered specifically to them then they'd better be willing to go the extra mile for it because they aren't the only person in the world with wants and needs. If that means working extra to make the money to afford what they want, what exactly is the issue with that?

Some people just feel so self entitled they expect everything they want to be handed to them, and they want everyone around them to cater to them because they want something a certain way. It is a nice fantasy, but those people are for the most part annoying as hell in my opinion. Sounds like Deirdre Imus feels that way too.

So you think it's perfectly fine for games to have a time limit? It's not excessively demanding to expect that you should be able to play the games that you paid for.

So you think it's perfectly fine for games to have a time limit? It's not excessively demanding to expect that you should be able to play the games that you paid for.

I don't worry about it, no. If I buy a DLC game for $5 and play it, and 10 years later I find I can't access it, it wouldn't ruin my life, sorry. If I was in the least bit upset about it, I'd re-obtain the game either for free via emulation or I might even repay for it if it ment that much to me!

I'll try not to edit my posts in the future. Anything to make you happy.

I don't worry about it, no. If I buy a DLC game for $5 and play it, and 10 years later I find I can't access it, it wouldn't ruin my life, sorry. If I was in the least bit upset about it, I'd re-obtain the game either for free or I might even repay for it!!!

Most of the downloadable games on the Xbox 360 that I have paid for were more than 5 bucks. But no matter how much they were, if you like a game that isn't available on future consoles, that sucks. Are we supposed to be like an emotionless robot with no likes and dislikes that just plays whatever is in front of us?

Anything to make you happy.

I'm glad you finally understand why you were born.

I'm sorry. I have over 100 Live games, should I be pissed?

Not if you're an emotionless robot with no likes and dislikes that just plays whatever is in front of him. But if you are a human, you might miss your favorite games when you can no longer play them.

Not if you're an emotionless robot with no likes and dislikes that just plays whatever is in front of him. But if you are a human, you might miss your favorite games when you can no longer play them.

Hu? What game are you currently wanting to play so bad? This is truly bizarre. You're expecting me to believe you're emotionally distressed because there is a game you aren't able to play and somehow the reason why is because the new generation of consoles are out and you can't afford one. Is that it? Let everyone know what it is so we can help you get over this.

I admire you troopers who buy both (Xbone and PS4). I usually wind up with all competing systems, eventually, but I have a favorite. "Favorite" is defined as the one that I'll buy cross-platform titles for. I really like the PS3, but the 360 is the one I want the cross-platform titles for. I'm prepared to reverse this situation with the Xbone and PS4. Both systems are just out of the gates, but I'm more attracted to the PS4. You guys who have both - what's the verdict?

Hu? What game are you currently wanting to play so bad? This is truly bizarre. You're expecting me to believe you're emotionally distressed because there is a game you aren't able to play and somehow the reason why is because the new generation of consoles are out and you can't afford one. Is that it? Let everyone know what it is so we can help you get over this.

What's bizarre? I'm talking about what will happen to people in general when Microsoft and Sony pull the plug on the Xbox 360 and the PS3 and a bunch of people will no longer be able to play their favorite games. Some of those games may have sequels on the next consoles, but there's no guarantee. And there's no guarantee that people will like the sequels if those sequels are made.

Right now I'm playing Iron Brigade, and I'm pretty sure that Microsoft will have Iron Brigade 2 on the Xbone, but I'll never get to play it since I'll probably have a PS4.

What's bizarre? I'm talking about what will happen to people in general when Microsoft and Sony pull the plug on the Xbox 360 and the PS3 and a bunch of people will no longer be able to play their favorite games.

My bad, to me it didn't sound like that is what you were talking about. Sounded like you were upset you don't have the cash to buy one of the new systems and somehow that was someone elses fault.

No one knows how MS or Sony is going to handle the shutdown of network access on the last gen systems. Maybe there will be something put in place, I personally wouldn't count on it though. The best advice I can think of to give people who (years from now) find themselves in a situation where the unit they had the licences tied to died and they find that they can no longer jump on Live to redownload the game legit like, is to hack away, not go buy the newest gen console. Better to hack your console and play the games that you desperately want to play rather than to live in such anguish, or to spend $$ you don't have. Sure it's technically illegal, but the peace of mind would be worth it.

Doesn't sound like that is what you are talking about. Sounded like you were upset you don't have the cash to buy one of the new systems and somehow that was someone elses fault.

Now that's bizarre. Pretty much every post I've made tonight has been bitching about not being able to play downloaded games when they pull the plug.

No one knows how MS or Sony is going to handle the shutdown of network access on the last gen systems. Maybe there will be something put in place, I personally wouldn't count on it though. My advice to people who (years from now) find themselves in a situation where the unit they had the licences tied to died and they find that they can no longer jump on Live to redownload the game legit like. To hack away. Better to hack your console and play the games that you desperately want to play then to live in such turmoil. No need to buy a new, latest gen console at all. It's technically illegal, but the peace of mind would be worth it.

No hacking for me. I'll just let it have a natural death. At least I won't have to worry about killing it prematurely by screwing it up.

Now that's bizarre.

I think it was the comparing some game you wouldn't be able to play to a screaming baby, then suggesting your only option to shut the baby up ( AKA: play the favorite game) was to buy the latest console, then saying not everyone has the money to do that. I dunno, maybe it was the way you presented it. You're upset because in the future you might not be able to re-download the games you paid for years prior, that I get.

No hacking for me. I'll just let it have a natural death.

But you're not THAT worried about it so... Ok. I'll keep my fingers crossed MS and Sony allow you access to your DLC games forever.

The main digital game I want to keep around for good is Vandal-Hearts: Flames of Judgment, because it is the only modern sequel to two of my favorite PS1 games. Understand the logic now?

Vandal-Hearts was one of my favorites as well. I have the PS1 version in its original disk form.

Can't say I was all that impressed with the sequel that appeared on the Xbox 360 in 2010, Flames of Judgment.

However, if you were desperate and super passionate to play the 360 game and your DLC copy was gone forever, AND Live access was gone...

You could still play the game!!!

Let me know when all that happens and I'll send you some links that will help ease that pain. You won't have to buy the latest console either.

Well, the newest 360 live game was Gears of War, so at least they haven't dropped the free games for live thing yet on the 360. I'm sure they will at one point, and considering they only said it was till the One came out from the get go a few months back, that's already beyond what microsoft promised.

As far as good games, uh...well, yeah, but you likely already own a hard copy of said good game :P (or is that just me :/

We were talking about games where physical copies don't even exist. On phones and Ouya there are lots of cheap throwaway titles nobody will miss, but on PSN and Xbox Live, there are some games here and there that probably deserved better and should have been released on disc, at least as part of a compilation or something. They do have those Xbox Live Arcade compilation discs with some really old stuff on them, but I'd really love to see genre based or developer based compilation discs at the end of the systems' lives. A compilation of all download only RPG's the system had? Yes please!

Throwback platformer compilations containing Mega Man 9 & 10 and Sonic 4 Episode 1, 2 and Metal on one disc? That would be cool.

Edited by TheGameCollector

I suspect if compilation discs of digital downloads sold well, we'd have seen more. The last big one I saw was for Minecraft on the 360, and that was after the digital version sold in droves. With the PS4 and Xbox One, it's arguable that you're better off with the digital versions anyway, since you can play those games on any console you're logged in and they're permanently tied to your account. With the disc versions, you always need the disc with you.

I suspect if compilation discs of digital downloads sold well, we'd have seen more. The last big one I saw was for Minecraft on the 360, and that was after the digital version sold in droves. With the PS4 and Xbox One, it's arguable that you're better off with the digital versions anyway, since you can play those games on any console you're logged in and they're permanently tied to your account. With the disc versions, you always need the disc with you.

Conversely you could say that because you physically have the disc you ALWAYS have the disc. Unlike an account that you don't fully control or something tied to a console that breaks. But, that's another debate. :)

Conversely you could say that because you physically have the disc you ALWAYS have the disc. Unlike an account that you don't fully control or something tied to a console that breaks. But, that's another debate. :)

Absolutely, but I'm talking more in the context of the average person. Digital has long since become the standard; convenience usually trumps all else. Digital has clearly "won," despite some people like us who still have a fondness for physical goods and packaging. I'm sure at some point in the future, physical items will be like vinyl is for music enthusiasts--a quirky, but somewhat sustainable niche. In any case, to argue for the digital side, there are pluses and minuses to both. Clearly a physical disc, which is your only proof of ownership, can easily get misplaced or damaged. A digital item - as long as it's still accessible - is all but guaranteed to be there. As we've talked about on here, we have yet to see a major digital store/service go away. Once that inevitably happens, there will be quite a few repercussions, which may ultimately lead to more future proof digital ownership (at least as much as that's practical).

Well even though I had not intended to get a new system for quite a while my wife purchased a day one XBone for me. Purchasing one of the bundles on the Microsoft Store she got the 3 year extended warranty for free (which is something I would want to have given the current state of my day one 360.) When you additionally consider the money I will get back from ebates I also got my next year of Xbox Live for free.

Unfortunately she is hung up on not handing it over until Christmas so it can be wrapped and the kids can see it opened, blah, blah, blah. The thing is sitting in a closet and I can feel its aura emanating from there! Oh well. I guess it will allow me to get further into "The Chronicles of Riddick" without being distracted by all the new bells and whistles.

Unfortunately she is hung up on not handing it over until Christmas so it can be wrapped and the kids can see it opened, blah, blah, blah. The thing is sitting in a closet and I can feel its aura emanating from there! Oh well. I guess it will allow me to get further into "The Chronicles of Riddick" without being distracted by all the new bells and whistles.

You know, when I was a kid, I was snoop around till I found my gifts and in some cases (like Atari games) I would actually open them up and play them! Back in those days you didn't just have a thin piece of tape sealing the box, so I often had to glue the box tops back shut!! So anyways...yeah just sayin.

BTW You have a real keeper of a wife!! LOL

Well, the newest 360 live game was Gears of War, so at least they haven't dropped the free games for live thing yet on the 360. I'm sure they will at one point, and considering they only said it was till the One came out from the get go a few months back, that's already beyond what microsoft promised.

I'm pretty sure the promise was two free games per month through 2013. Gears of War and Shoot Many Robots in December, then that's it. Unless, they're now continuing the promotion further?