IGNORED

10 thoughts on the PS4

cimerians

Well I hooked mine up last night with a 1TB hard drive and it went smooth with no issues. Here's 10 thoughts I had from last night to today after playing a bit of Black Flag, a clone of Defender and a non next gen title called Knack.

1 - Speed. The system boots fast. Everything is fast, the menus the loading, the downloading, switching between apps and even the PSN store... all on a day when their network was getting hammered. Little or no ads on the dashboard. The only faults I can find is that you can't seem to sort things the way you want to. I like the PIN feature on the Xbox 360\Win8 so this is a bit of a bummer but maybe I just can't figure it out.

2 - Controller is a huge upgrade over the PS3's. The triggers the response when moving around the dash or selecting things and playing arcade type games like Resogun felt great. Somehow I can't go back to the PS3's controller ever again. :P

3 - Games are installed quickly and you can play almost immediately, granted I have a hybrid SSD installed so my drive may be faster. Resogun loaded in about 10 seconds. Assassins Creed 36 seconds including all the menu's the UPLAY checkup and agreements.

4 - Resogun is a Defender clone and a free game for PSplus users....its highly addictive and responds well with the controller. It has voice features through the controller which was kind of nice and it's something I would have bought for sure if not for the free download this month. Excellent retro game.

5. I might as well mention it here....your games automatically record while you play. Hit the share button if you want and upload the clip to facebook or Twitch (youtube comes later). Trim it. Take screenshots....it's all simple and you can finally keep a nerdy collection of your beaten games to show off to people or to yourself. I found it really easy to do even though I'm not interested in this sort of thing but it can keep some memorable moments in games

6 - Knack is not a launch worthy game and it suffers a bit from framerate issues but at the same time has some very good graphics in spots and plays well with lots of unlockable things to do. This game should have been a download or at least $29 or $39 bucks tops. With all that out of the way it's not a BAD game, it's a very simple platformer, jump and punch is all you do for the most part and has stuff from many games mixed into it. I think it's the perfect game for just zoning out and relaxing and I think most retro fans will like it but "modern gamers" may not. I'd recommend it if it was a lot cheaper.

7 - Assassins Creed Blackflag plays well and is like other Creed games but the graphics really shine here. I mentioned that to me these console launch games look like a high end PC and even better. I read some people say that this isn't good enough of an upgrade but I tend to disagree. It looks really friggin awesome. I posted a clip below while I played Black Flag.

8 - PSplus and Xbox Live are now totally worth the subscription fee. I got Resogun and Contrast (which I haven't tried yet) for free and a few more to play around with called Warframe and Blacklight Retribution. So I bought two games and got a bunch more games for my subscription. Nice.

9. The console looks PS2 cool is lightweight about the size of a PS3 slim. The power button and eject buttons are hard to see though. WTF?

Nice thing too is it charges controllers in standby mode which means the system is basically off except for a few things. Hit the button on the controller and your right back to it.

10. It doesn't play PS3 games.....but somehow I completely don't care.

Anyone else thoughts? Moycon better post an Xbox One review.....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152167683534928&l=4321129172618799790

Edited by cimerians

That makes me wonder if we really care about backwards compatibility anymore. The machine sounds amazing!

I think we, the players do... to a degree. But the major companies don't. When the PS2 and PS3 were released, BC was a way they could sell more consoles, and ultimately more software. Now that you can re-purchase old games on PSN, BC would be something that could theoretically prevent the sale of digital titles.

Ergo, no more BC. It's gone from being a minor moneymaker to a major money-loser as far as the publishers are concerned.

BC is a perk, completely and utterly. It's a sign from a game company that it cares about its customers, as well as its past products. Having no BC won't be much of an issue if the games at launch are great, but having to keep two systems hooked up when they're using largely redundant tech is something that I, as a customer, a pain in the ass.

But since I won't be buying one of these ever, my opinion matters about as much as tits on a bull. Interesting, but not all that important.

I do hope you guys get all the enjoyment out of these next gen systems as possible, however! It's great when you can get excited about a new system with games you care about. Enjoy!

I'm actually a BC fan but since the PS3 and Xbox 360 came out years ago I kind of just felt it wasn't too big of a deal if it wasn't included. Maybe because they didn't do the best job of emulating the games but then again the launch PS3's were hardware based and just about perfect.

I have a lot hooked up and some I store and bring out when I (or someone) wants to play them. I also retire hardware and switch to emulation on a PC to save room.

Consoles I may never unhook is Xbox (original), PS2, Wii and Atari 2600.

cimerians hit the nail on the head.

The PS4 is slick looking. He didn't mention the tronesque lighting on the console or the controller.

Lighting like that automatically makes anything cooler. I love it!

Two things I dislike about the PS4s aesthetics.

That super shiny black finish on a third of the console. It's a fingerprint magnet, and I freaking tried to wipe off the finger prints with the back of my T-shift and put faint scratches in it! WTF!?

Also the system doesn't sit flat. At least mine doesn't. If you push down on a corner of the unit, it wobbles. Bizarre.

Neither is a HUGE deal. Just wanted to mention them. My two quibbles aside, I agree with all the positives in the first post.

Well I hooked mine up last night with a 1TB hard drive and it went smooth with no issues. Here's 10 thoughts I had from last night to today after playing a bit of Black Flag, a clone of Defender and a non next gen title called Knack.

<snip!>

I was waiting for someone to post like you did. What a great, honest post from a respected AA member. Thanks for that. Still looking forward to one (one day) but very glad to read such a detailed first-impression from someone who did a great job of delivering it. :)

While I don't (usually, anymore) get launch stuff anymore, I'm still interested in it (who isn't?) and generally grateful on such accurate reports from "the front line."

I was waiting for someone to post like you did. What a great, honest post from a respected AA member. Thanks for that. Still looking forward to one (one day) but very glad to read such a detailed first-impression from someone who did a great job of delivering it. :)

While I don't (usually, anymore) get launch stuff anymore, I'm still interested in it (who isn't?) and generally grateful on such accurate reports from "the front line."

No prob, I appreciate it....I figure some people will wait around to get one of these modern consoles so why not take the time to just post some random thoughts. I think either of them will be fine to get but just depends on if you want Gran Turismo\Uncharted sequels or Halo\Gears of War sequels lol. I certainly can't afford both and I was pissed at Microsoft a lot :P...who wasn't? (Even at least a little bit).

The PS4 actually feels like a game machine unlike the PS3 which felt like, I don't know....some kind of monster with ever changing features.

Two things I dislike about the PS4s aesthetics.

That super shiny black finish on a third of the console.

I can't stand it either why do some people love this crap? It's worse for me because I had to claw at it a lot to get the cover off (its basically a cover for the internal hard drive)...and now I have permanent fingerprint swipes all over it.

Hmm, mine sits flat as board... One of my original Xbox's had a missing rubber "leg" so I stuck one of those Floor Protector felt pad stickers under it and it was fine.

Edited by cimerians

Hmmmm Apparently the PS4 wobbles due to a design flaw. I wonder if they corrected it at some point in the manufacturing? Either that or maybe you aren't setting yours horizontally?

It's all over the web now, but here's one explanation as to why it wobbles.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/14/playstation-4-wobbles-if-pressed-down

Kotaku has explained that the issue isn't an issue because it can be fixed by placing 8 post it notes under the unit.

Seriously, that is the fix for your new $400 PS4 wobble issue. Post it notes. I'm guessing bar coasters or slightly used McDonalds napkins would work also.

http://static.gamespot.com/uploads/original/253/2533664/2376216-iyj0ejfddruqy.gif

They did that on purpose, so morons don't put their beers on the corner, when they go to plug in their controllers to re-charge. LOL

I admit, it is weird, but the unit is balanced, so it doesn't really matter. Why would you want to press down on it anyway?

I found a pack of really thick furniture bumpers at Walmart. Solves the wobble and raises the PS4 up about a half inch for better airflow under the unit. Eight in the package for about $3.

As for BC, PS1 & 2 games have been emulated on PC for a while now so it could be done on PS4, if Sony thought they could make a profit on it. Hell, they made an emulator (PS2 Classics) for PS3 that plays 80% of the PS2 library, even after saying for years that software emulation wasn't possible on the Cell architecture.

What I really wish they would do is build a limited edition 'Legacy' edition system that played discs from all generations of Playstation. That way those of us who care about BC could pay a bit more for 'the one ring to rule them all' while those that don't care about BC could still get the cheaper regular edition system.

• Like 2

Hmmmm Apparently the PS4 wobbles due to a design flaw. I wonder if they corrected it at some point in the manufacturing? Either that or maybe you aren't setting yours horizontally?

It's all over the web now, but here's one explanation as to why it wobbles.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/14/playstation-4-wobbles-if-pressed-down

Kotaku has explained that the issue isn't an issue because it can be fixed by placing 8 post it notes under the unit.

Seriously, that is the fix for your new $400 PS4 wobble issue. Post it notes. I'm guessing bar coasters or slightly used McDonalds napkins would work also.

http://static.gamespot.com/uploads/original/253/2533664/2376216-iyj0ejfddruqy.gif

Ok I had to press down a bit on the corners and mine slightly wobbled. Its definitely not a big deal like you said...I didn't even notice it until you brought it up cause it's really steady unless you press down on it.

I guess the beer thing is a good excuse but it's weird. Actually the system itself is pretty weird looking but that knight rider glow down the middle is kind of cool.

so morons don't put their beers on the corner

I wouldn't, and you wouldn't, but don't think other people would think twice about setting something on it. How can it be stable if it can wobble?

I just think it's a strange design for a high dollar, high tech product.

I personally would use KrazyKaiju's suggestion of rubber bumpers to stabilize, even though I wouldn't set my beer on it, my unit wobbles enough just through everyday use and it's why I noticed it right away. I wasn't even intentionally pressing down on the top with a beer can!

I also love the idea of a 'Legacy' edition system. I would probably buy one, even though I rarely used BC on the last gen. I'm just a sucker for limited or collector editions!

that knight rider glow down the middle is kind of cool.

I think of it more of a Tron like glow, and it's not just kind of cool, it's VERY cool! LOL <---Huge Tron fan.

You know I was wondering if the PS4 had an easily modded HDD like the PS3 did. Now I am very interested to slap an SSD in there whenever I get around to picking one up. PS Plus sub will be a no brainer for me though while we're on the subject, I should probably get around to canceling my Live sub. I don't remember the last time I played a game on Live and all my gaming buddies have moved to Steam, which suits me just fine.

I really like Resogun, it's a nice shooter. I have to say that seeing the PS4 in person it looks nicer than it did in pics. I wasn't a fan of the look at all, but it looks pretty good sitting here :) The system is nice and fast, very responsive.

I got Knack for free, and I'm not sure it's worth it... :P

7 - Assassins Creed Blackflag plays well and is like other Creed games but the graphics really shine here. I mentioned that to me these console launch games look like a high end PC and even better. I read some people say that this isn't good enough of an upgrade but I tend to disagree. It looks really friggin awesome. I posted a clip below while I played Black Flag.

Agreed, the graphics are very nice and look like a high end PC setup (and since I have one I'm pretty qualified to judge). I'm sure there will be tons of 'I can't see the difference' nonsense just like the previous generation had. Hopefully less people this time around will be playing on 14" CRTs...

Initial load times were a bit of a concern, but in practice it's all pretty fast and non intrusive so far. I'm using the stock HDD.

Very pleased with the PS4 so far, it's quite a nice system.

Protip: use Novus #1 spray, no more fingerprint magnet. :D

• Like 1

How is PSN (on ps4) in terms of download speed, and now that they are charging for online multiplayer, are games still expecting gamers to host online multiplayer from their consoles?

Pretty much are they charging for the same old crap that used to be free, or are they up to par?

I sure haven't seen a boost in PSN on the ps3 in the months leading up to ps4 release. I half expected to.

Edited by Reaperman

How is PSN (on ps4) in terms of download speed, and now that they are charging for online multiplayer, are games still expecting gamers to host online multiplayer from their consoles?

Pretty much are they charging for the same old crap that used to be free, or are they up to par?

I sure haven't seen a boost in PSN on the ps3 in the months leading up to ps4 release. I half expected to.

It's fast. (my #1 post above). Its a world of a difference between the PS3 and PS4. Makes the PS3 look like garbage. Seriously.

The only thing they charge for is multiplayer which they didn't before. Netflix and all that other stuff is free. (which is something I wish Microsoft would allow)

• Like 1

Can't you just loosen all the case screws, press down on all the corners so it sits flat. Lots of consoles throughout the years have had similar probs.

No it was designed without rubber legs on one side of the unit. The only thing you could do is add some.

Also I've never experienced that before ever or even heard of it in 3 decades of collecting consoles!

"Lots of consoles throughout the years" seems like an overstatement.

sooner or later

This is a brand new $400 state of the art product designed to wobble. In my opinion it's a different phenomenon than old equipment over the years losing the rubber legs or having screws removed and not screwed back in properly.

That said, can you show me even one link to a person in the last 20 years that obtained a brand new video game console and complained about the wobble online? I ask because I could post you a dozen from people complaining about the PS4 wobble in the last 2 days. I don't think the problem is as common as you're making it out to be. Keeping in mind, we aren't talking about some 25 year old unit you found in a flea market. ;)

It's a weird design and unfortunately tightening up screws isn't going to correct it.

That said, the PS3 is way cooler than the PS3 ever was in my opinion, wobble aside.

Mine wobbles. Not sure if it's a big deal. More of an annoyance. I'll probably stick something under it to even it out but you're right, doesn't seem right for a $400 machine having it. I've never ran into it with anything else. However, if that is the only problem that I encounter with it for the foreseeable future, I'll take it.

This is a brand new $400 state of the art product designed to wobble. In my opinion it's a different phenomenon than old equipment over the years losing the rubber legs or having screws removed and not screwed back in properly.

Ahh... okay. We're talking about two totally different scenarios here. I assumed the PS4 was designed to lay flat and had 4 feet under it and that people were complaining about it wobbling. If there's only two feet on one side, then yes - chances of wobble increases exponentially. Duh! They should have included a couple extra feet for those not choosing to stand the thing vertically then. I'm seeing more and more audio components (speakers and DAC's mostly) that give you the two choices: a little rubber boot to stand things vertically AND some extra rubber feet that you apply yourself, if you want to lay the thing flat.

My thoughts...well at least on what I could do when it was running:

1) Boot times are pretty fast.....when it boots. Hopefully the replacement will be here tomorrow and my problems will go away.

2) PSN Speed - The only thing I did was download updates, but that was very fast.

3) PSN in general - Not much there right now. I didn't see any demos for the other games. Really there's only Resogun and Contrast. Yes, there are a couple of other Free-To-Play, but I don't have much interest in those.

4) The Camera - Do you need it? Well, if you plan on streaming your game-playing, it might come in handy and is cheaper than a PVR. But right now, it seems like it's mostly just a novelty. The only app that I'm aware of that uses it is the "tech demo" Playroom. Though I do have to admit that I got some enjoyment out of playing (when the console wasn't crashing) with those little bots.

5) Games - I only installed NBA 2k14 right now. Once the issues gets taken care of, I'll install the other ones. I agree with many others though in that none of what I've played or seen videos of really scream out "OH WOW! NEXTGEN!". I do have to wonder though why the camera wasn't incorporated into the NBA game. I mean, when you do create player, it would have been cool to have had the ability to take your picture and really pull your face into the game. The only other "issues" I have with the game existed in the last version (NBA 2k12) I had in that no matter what I make my player look like, he always sounds the same. And there isn't much of a desparity in how they look based on height and weight. For example, I create a guy that was 6'2" and when he stood next to Lebron James, he looked him in the eye.

6) PS Plus - I haven't used this, though I'd maybe like to at some point. I don't like being asked to enter my credit card information to use a trial. I realize that many companies do this and I believe it's just a ploy to hope that you'll forget to cancel it so they can charge you. Like I said, I do plan on getting it once the current system issues are resolved and I actually determine that if I don't want to play online, that the instant collection would keep it worth it (I do have the PSP, PS Vita, PS3 and now PS4). It'll be interesting to see how much "support" the PS3 gets as the PS4 gets going.