IGNORED

TI-99 Photos Thread! Post your systems here!

slinkeey

Ah OK, this seems to be an addon to Extended Basic.

For example, it gives you up to 32 screens, a "buffer" for quick exchange of the screens,

uses the 24x40 text modus, Peek & Poke in VDP-Ram, a hardcopy to the printer,

a catalog function for the disks, and much more

• Like 1

and here is the Disc

it boots looooooooooooooooooooong Time from XB :) 120 sec.

Something is wrong with this image: 107 KiB is not a valid length, won't load with MAME or TIImageTool. Maybe the missing part can be filled with zeros.

Edit: Here is the updated image; missing part zeroed.

hagera.dsk

Edited by mizapf
  • Like 4

Hey all, new member here and an original 99er from back in the '80s!

My parents brought home a TI-99/4A for Christmas in 1982 after I wowed all the folks at Montgomery Ward with my chops on their demo unit. After a few years (that I barely remember) of Beginning Grammar, Hunt the Wumpus, Car Wars and the like, we moved on to an IBM PC XT and what became of our old 99 is a mystery. Today, now that I have a son of my own, I decided to introduce him to "dad's first computer" and picked up a good quality lot from eBay. My son is in love with this thing, especially the speech synthesizer!

Although the 99 I picked up was in great shape, the keyboard had some issues -- some keys wouldn't register at all while others bounced anywhere from 2 to 4 times per keystroke. Before I found this fantastic community, my first stop was YouTube where I found instructions for taking apart and repairing a Mitsumi keyboard. I immediately feared I was going to have to go through that PITA nonsense, but upon taking apart my 99 I see that I have Hi-Tek switches:

post-67583-0-35854400-1550305672_thumb.jpg

So I set about pulling the keycaps off with trim removal tools and cleaning the contacts carefully:

post-67583-0-45899500-1550305676_thumb.jpg

During this exercise I found a very bizarre "L" key; it seems to have a different "pole" on the cap than any other key on the grid. Perhaps it was replaced at some point in its life? In the pic below, the "L" is the one on the right, with the black pole. All the other keycaps on the board look like the one on the left. The keystroke feel is 99% the same though.

post-67583-0-44405800-1550305680_thumb.jpg

Finally got everything buttoned back up and the keyboard works perfectly now. Immediately my son and I popped in Terminal Emulator II and were making our speech synth say all kinds of crazy stuff with goofy inflections. At the end of the day I settled down for a game of chess. Don't have a proper CRT or even a desk, so I hooked the 99 up to my plasma TV (?!?!) with the RF mod and a coaxial splice.

Did y'all know the TI-99 makes a great laptop?

post-67583-0-22712300-1550305668_thumb.jpg

This is what passes for my setup now that I am once again a 99er after a thirty-three year lapse!

Now that I've found this community, I'm finding it difficult not to drop a ton of money on all kinds of TI-99 goodies. Already I've ordered a TI-specific DIN to composite AV cable and an assembled FinalGROM 99 with 3D-printed case. Next it looks like a nano PEB may be in my future...if I'm gonna write some BASIC programs with my son or play really involved chess games, we're gonna need to save our progress somewhere! I'm a nostalgia fiend, but even I am not sure that I want to go back to storing programs on 1/8" audio cassette like my dad used to do.

Craziest thing...while I grew up in Michigan, I now live in Dallas right down the road from TI headquarters! Maybe this reunion was meant to be.

Hope to learn lots more while I'm here -- it's great to be back in front of the old black-and-silver console again.

Edited by ChiefOddball
  • Like 14