IGNORED

TI-99 Photos Thread! Post your systems here!

slinkeey

I've finally got my system set up enough to share a picture!

I'm probably not your average 99er as I didn't grow up with the machine (my family had an Apple II when I was a lad). I had actually never heard of the ol' 4A before a couple years ago! I first learned about it while watching retro computer videos on YouTube and I fell in love with it, eventually deciding to invest in my own system to experience it for myself. I got really excited and spent probably-too-much on various components on eBay over the last few weeks to piece together the system you see here.

So far I have...

• Silver/Black Console
  • Composite cables
  • Joystick adapter
  • Speech Synthesizer
  • Disk Controller sidecar
  • TI Floppy Drive
  • TI Program Recorder

I also picked up a ribbon cable to extend the sidecars under the shelf for a nice tidy look, and I have one of the modern 32k sidecars with a 3D printed case on order but it hasn't arrived just yet.

Up next I plan to pick up a Lotharek floppy emulator and find a respectable desk to put it all on. :)

post-63949-0-59649200-1555621570_thumb.jpg

post-63949-0-11297700-1555621585_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

I just sifted through my old floppy disks, and this caught my attention. My first floppy drive was single-sided, hence the cutouts. No, this is not what I mean. This is a SSDD disk - look at the label on the upper left corner. I doubted that they actually existed.

The problem is that when you have a sector dump disk image of 180 KiB, this should be considered a DSSD disk. For the sector dumps, MAME actually peeks into sector 0 to make sure, but if that disk is not formatted, this may be a problem, because a SSDD disk with 18 sectors/track, 40 tracks, and 1 side has exactly 720 sectors like a DSSD disk with 9 sectors/track, 40 tracks, and 2 sides.

post-35000-0-37621400-1556062589.jpg

• Like 4

yes I have a bunch of older disks that "say" ssdd, but they are really dsdd.. made flippy-floppies out of most of them on the apple ii you didn't need the index hole so super easy for that just cut a write protect notch and there ya go, ti, trs80 all needed the index hole mine were a little nicer than yours :) i used a hole punch instead of an axe

• Like 1

Not an axe exactly, but nail scissors. :)

If you punch a hole, you need to pull out the medium, or you get a second index hole. I think the 1541 of the C64 did not care, you did not even have to cut a hole in the jacket.

Yes, the 1541 and 1571 do not care about the index sensor. They use the sector markings.

yes I have a bunch of older disks that "say" ssdd, but they are really dsdd.. made flippy-floppies out of most of them on the apple ii you didn't need the index hole so super easy for that just cut a write protect notch and there ya go, ti, trs80 all needed the index hole mine were a little nicer than yours :) i used a hole punch instead of an axe

On the whole floppy disks i am dumping there are some disks modified to be dsdd. I must say anyway that most of them have errors on the modified side or mostly unreadable. The main original side instead haven't problem.

Probably the back side of the floppy was not the same quality?

Back then, if both sides of the disk media passed QA testing, it was labeled as DSDD. If one side failed, it was inserted into the cover with that side as side two and labeled SSDD. Later when disks became much more common, it was cheaper to just trash the disks that failed, so the SSDD disks disappeared from the market (or were just DSDD disks labeled as SSDD). Note that there were also disks sold back then certified as DSQD to indicate they worked properly in a 720K drive as well. Oddly enough, I have never seen SSQD floppy disk media, although there were several drives manufactured in that configuration.

• Like 1

3QQ3kqZ.jpgWYUg5kg.jpg

Sorry for the janky pics, my tablet doesn't have that great of a camera. Just wanted to let you guys know that Ksarul's package to us got here, and we confirmed that it works wonderfully on both the CRT and flatscreen, but our old one is still busted.

• Like 9

Not an axe exactly, but nail scissors. icon_smile.gif

If you punch a hole, you need to pull out the medium, or you get a second index hole. I think the 1541 of the C64 did not care, you did not even have to cut a hole in the jacket.

not really you just lift the jacket away from the media and punch just that .. don't punch the media my hole punch has a very thin bottom part so it slides right in there

not really you just lift the jacket away from the media and punch just that .. don't punch the media my hole punch has a very thin bottom part so it slides right in there

I used this punch BITD:

post-29677-0-38513700-1556668451.png

I have also used this punch, with a little more care, of course:

post-29677-0-70028800-1556668462.png

Hole placement was a litle easier with the second punch.

...lee

• Like 3

hehe, I had one Apple2 disk I notched with a standard paper hole punch, and I misjudged it and hit the media. Because I only owned three floppy disks at the time, I had to use it anyway. Fortunately, it worked fine for years, but I was always amused that I had managed to notch the media. ;) (I was always much more careful after that, too).

• Like 3