IGNORED

TI-99 Photos Thread! Post your systems here!

slinkeey

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

New to the forum.  Dug out the old setup from storage for the first time in a long while.  Really want to get all the old software I developed back in the day off of tapes and on to a FOAD file to save for posterity.  Will need some help on that soon (on another thread). 

My setup, (purchased new in 1981-1983)

• TI99/4a (x2)
  • Speach Synthesizer (with power mod)
  • PEB
  • Serial card
  • Radio Shack 300 Baud direct connect Modem
  • All the cliche '80s TI cartridges including XB
  • FinalGROM
  • 32K Sidecars (to be assembled shortly)
  • On the waiting list for next batch of Sidecar TIPIs

Also running Classic99 on PC and TI99SIM on Retropi

Goal is to do all the things I wanted to when I was a kid, but could not afford the HW/Development SW needed (32K Ram, Disks, Editor/Assembler).  Will be looking for help on that some time soon as well. 

20200105_142108.jpg

20200105_142157.jpg

• Like 13

I just viewed this TI thread from start to finish over the last week. I am at a point in my life that I am revisiting earlier, happier times. I have been in technology for almost 30 years, which I can trace directly back to this computer. When I was around 9 and saw the movie "War Games", I did not know what computers were, but did know that I wanted one. After seeing an ad on TV with Bill Cosby and seeing the Vic 20 and TI-99/4a in a KMart on sale, I was able to take almost 2 years of allowance and lawn mowing an buy one.

Little did I know that I couldn't save anything, or play anything by itself. But that started me learning TI-Basic (and teaching myself arrays at 9-10 years old from that book, was an interesting exercise). From there, computers (and for about 11 years, that TI and the subsequent cassette recorder and more than 30 tapes with my programs on them) were a part of my life and, some time later, a part of my professional career.

Fast forward to 2014, I bought one of the silver and black beauties, with cassette player, from eBay. But then got busy again. I come back recently and find that there are all these 'advances' available on this 35 year old system. I want back in. Unfortunately, there is a dearth of available PEBs that are functional available, and even those not guaranteed to work, are ridiculously priced (I know, supply and demand). I see a number of you have... several (Schmitzi, I can't begin to categorize your level of TI hoarding, although I am mostly just jealous). 

Is there anyone here that would be willing to part with a few items that you would consider essential to getting back into the TI scene? I am not asking for charity, a long career in IT means that I have some disposable income and for guidance (and items I can be assured work), I can pay more than fair prices for. Even if not, I appreciate the trip down memory lane all of these conversations and pictures have allowed me to take and I plan to lurk around and see where this all goes.

Long live the TI!

• Like 6