IGNORED

TI-99 Photos Thread! Post your systems here!

slinkeey

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/28/2016 at 4:29 PM, mizapf said:

It's somewhat painful to read this brochure, not because the TI Professional Computer was such a great thing but how the, well, modest capabilities are praised. The brochure is from 1983, and the IBM PC was released just two years before. So what does it offer?

- Intel 8088 16 bit CPU (with 8 bit data bus, rings a bell?), presumably 4.77 MHz clock (not specified in the brochure)

- 64 KiB RAM, expandable to 256 KiB

- "High resolution display": 720 x 300 pixel, sounds like MDA (Monochrome Display Adapter), but supports color graphics obviously ("8 shades or 8 colors")

- Monochrome/color CRT controller with 4 KiB display memory

- FD1793 floppy controller on the mainboard (double density)

- Hard disk controller (MFM HD, "Winchester") with up to 10 MiB storage

From the tone of the brochure I would have expected something like "And we added a sophisticated green switch to the right side of the case, easily accessible also in bad light conditions, which allows you to turn your TI Professional Computer on and off at any point of time that you desire so that your system is only running at times that you actually need it."

I mean, the TI-99/8 would have almost reached up to those capabilities, and I would not be surprised if there were some considerations in the marketing division to keep some space between the TI-99* family and the Professional Computer. As I earlier said, offering the 99/8 with a VDP of the same capabilities as the one in the 99/4A was ridiculous. On the other hand, 80 column support could have become too attractive. Who knows.

Here are some more photographs.

post-35000-0-40881500-1456673120_thumb.jpg

post-35000-0-27056600-1456673371_thumb.jpg

post-35000-0-06738500-1456673422_thumb.jpg

post-35000-0-41084900-1456673443_thumb.jpg

post-35000-0-93684800-1456673466_thumb.jpg

post-35000-0-07529300-1456673483_thumb.jpg

post-35000-0-67117400-1456673499_thumb.jpg

hi i am looking for the ppc interface for hard disk and expansion for the graphic interface. if there is someone who has something to sell, contact me.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, INVISIBLE said:

Yeah, it was a Magnavox 8CM515 IIRC.  I had to upgrade when I got my PC though as that monitor was only EGA quality level for the PC, but with a VCR as a tuner it made a fairly decent TV too.  

What I meant was that it appears you are running an 80-col program :)

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, gpaJeb said:

Looks great!  I always liked the black and red labels

Funny thing is though, I made it orange to match all my other carts.  Since almost none of them are reddish anymore (save for modern carts that imitate the style). 

Though there are exceptions, I guess based on which ones were out in the sun and light and air sitting in the machine a lot, and which ones were just in sealed storage for decades.

Like, I figure you can guess which of these carts got a lot of use and sat out exposed to the sun and air, and which one stayed in permanent storage for basically its entire lifetime. 

image.png.7569a2c9120a058f3e8374de3b01fd7c.png

They're practically colour-coded to indicate use, like a toothbrush or something.

i.e., "When the colour-coded expiry indicator on your TI Invaders turns yellow, it's time to replace your TI Invaders"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hey everyone, 

Here is my new retro computer desk that I just built!  I very happy with it, but it's already to small!  I'm going to add two sliding keyboard trays to it, so I can add a few more systems ;-)

IMG_20200518_214119.jpg

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Dutchboy said:

I love your setup. Is that a Timex on the left side of the photo? I had one of those growing up along with the TI, C64, and Vic in your photo.

It's a Sinclair ZX81, which is the same thing as the Timex you used to have.  I did the composite mod on it and it displays quite well on the LCD on the left ... It doesn't work on the LCD in the middle though.

Thanks!

9 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Is that a THEC64?  It looks smaller than the VIC-20 next to it.

It must be the angle or something.  It's a really 64.  It's actually a silver label model with a 5 pin video DIN and a 326298 Rev A mobo.

Thanks!

50 minutes ago, Vanman1979 said:

It's actually a silver label model with a 5 pin video DIN and a 326298 Rev A mobo.

Hey, I have one of those, too!  Picked it up a couple of years ago with a big collection of Commodore and Amiga stuff.  I have not powered it on, yet, and so far have only used it as an exhibit.

24 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

Hey, I have one of those, too!  Picked it up a couple of years ago with a big collection of Commodore and Amiga stuff.  I have not powered it on, yet, and so far have only used it as an exhibit.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing.  I have another C64 that I have been fixing up.  The case was broken in places and yellowing.  I used some JB Weld to repair the case, and then tried my hand at Retr0bright.  It looks OK, I think I'll use this second one as my daily driver, and put the silver label model away.

Cheers,

Moe

29 minutes ago, INVISIBLE said:

Nice.  I think the ratio of TI to Commodore is backwards though.  ?

LOL, I don't have a lot of other TI options do I?  I guess I could try and find a TI-99/4 or get one of white TI-99/4A. 

I'm currently trying to get some Atari 8-bit stuff to offset all the Commodore stuff!

• Like 1