IGNORED

TI-99 Photos Thread! Post your systems here!

slinkeey

Well I'm new around here, but I wanted to show off my newly acquired TI system...

...it looks like the system I lusted after on the back of my TI box

Here you see it has a place of honor in my little retro corner...

My inner 12 year old is pretty happy.

This is one of the best posts in this thread! You had me rolling the floor with the "system lusted after" comment. :)

Welcome back to the TI world, you are going to enjoy the ride... it gets pretty addicting though...

• Like 1

This is one of the best posts in this thread! You had me rolling the floor with the "system lusted after" comment. :)

Welcome back to the TI world, you are going to enjoy the ride... it gets pretty addicting though...

Thanks, I will completely ignore your warning and continue to buy stuff :-D already planning on buying another to do all the mods to, I'd like to keep this one old school.

Speaking of buying, I found this monitor shelf you can see it in the picture, it is the perfect height for the TI and holds the PEB nicely

http://www.amazon.com/VonHaus-Curved-Glass-Monitor-Stand/dp/B0196KA3T2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

The desk is only 20" deep, so it helped to fit the whole system on it nicely. There is enough space on the side to slide the keyboard further under it and have the speech and PEB interface stick out, but it makes it harder to remove cartridges, so I put it in front of the shelf, which is probably for the best since the vents have more room to breath.

Edited by LASooner
  • Like 2

Yeah, I noticed that shelf in the photo, thanks for posting where you got it from. Depending on what I come away with at Fest West, I may get one of these myself as it appears to be a very good match. As for buying stuff, that never seems to end where the TI is concerned, but it's not all at one time so that's cool.

61v0gxNoySL._SL1500_.jpg

Well I'm new around here, but I wanted to show off my newly acquired TI system. Growing up less than wealthy, I had a white 99/4a my father purchased for me when they were $50, I didn't get a program recorder until a year later. So all my programs were saved by me writing them down and typing them in when I needed them. My goal in life was to create the best video game in the world. This is a little tough to do when you have to share your "monitor" with the rest of the family as it also happens to be the only TV in the house. Often I would carefully type in programs blind while family members watched TV, and I would quickly flip the switch on the RF modulator to check for errors. Then I would wait for everyone to go to bed so I could run them or debug them. It was a glorious day when I finally got my own little 12" b/w TV. I never had a floppy drive or an RS232 or a PEB. So now that I'm older and don't have the financial constraints I did as a 12 year old. I purchased everything I could find in as good condition as possible. I got one of those NOS PEB's off Ebay, and got a good deal on a NOS floppy drive. Got the 32k memory, floppy controller, RS232 card and of course a speech synthesizer which is pretty cool for what it does when it was doing it.

It was the very first CG image I ever created in May of 1984 for my Grandfather's birthday, I programmed it in, in the morning and left the computer on until he showed up for his birthday dinner. This is the program running on my new TI, next to a picture of me at age 12 with grandpa next to the family TV taken on a Polaroid. My grandfather passed away in the 90's, but his birthday gift lives on in code. My mother gave me the Polaroid when I was nominated for a visual effects Emmy in 2002. And while I never programmed the greatest video game, I'm the a senior artist at Activision/Treyarch and have worked on 4 Call of Duty games, including the 3 Black Ops games. The original Call of Duty:Black Ops held the world record in 2010 as the best selling video game of all time. And it all started for me in that photo of a fat kid with burrito stains on his shirt.

My inner 12 year old is pretty happy.

Welcome and great story ;) and nice amigas too :)

Greg

Thanks, I will completely ignore your warning and continue to buy stuff :-D already planning on buying another to do all the mods to, I'd like to keep this one old school.

Speaking of buying, I found this monitor shelf you can see it in the picture, it is the perfect height for the TI and holds the PEB nicely

http://www.amazon.com/VonHaus-Curved-Glass-Monitor-Stand/dp/B0196KA3T2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

The desk is only 20" deep, so it helped to fit the whole system on it nicely. There is enough space on the side to slide the keyboard further under it and have the speech and PEB interface stick out, but it makes it harder to remove cartridges, so I put it in front of the shelf, which is probably for the best since the vents have more room to breath.

hmm i use a cardboard box :) but that's much nicer

Welcome and great story ;) and nice amigas too :)

Greg

When you go down the path of computer art in the 90's you will find Amigas there. :)

A lot of them I got when I was at Interplay and they were no longer going to be developing for them and were going to bin them. I asked if I could have some and was told to take what I wanted. I still have some regrets about what I left behind. :_(

When you go down the path of computer art in the 90's you will find Amigas there. :)

A lot of them I got when I was at Interplay and they were no longer going to be developing for them and were going to bin them. I asked if I could have some and was told to take what I wanted. I still have some regrets about what I left behind. :_(

Wow yeah I have a few of those in my past as well where I should have taken everything but there just wasn't room/time. Or worse had to sell one to get another.. I have a small amiga shrine as well :) http://atariage.com/forums/topic/218727-ti-99-photos-thread-post-your-systems-here/?view=findpost&p=3157700

• Like 1

3000's are great, it's a shame the AGA version was cancelled toward the end. I think the 1000 and 3000 are 2 of the best looking computers of the era.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled TI discussion. ;-)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Found:

[...]

When I read "Ravensburger", I can't get jigsaw puzzles out of my mind. :)

(Ravensburger is still famous for their jigsaw puzzles; the largest one I completed was a 6000 part puzzle of an astronomical sky chart ... when I was 15. Needed 18 months. I remember that I wrote a program in TurboPasc'99 to sort the star names with coordinates.)

• Like 1