IGNORED

TI-99 Photos Thread! Post your systems here!

slinkeey

No, I have the salvaged console from the faire. Me and my dad, Ksarul, replaced the Mitsumi monstrosity of a keyboard. And I even brought it to school for electronics day. The other kids liked it!

Oh yeah. There is ONE single problem I can think of. It recognizes my 512K ROM Compilation cart as a Chicken Coop.

Edited by iliketurtles
  • Like 2

Yeah, but that 'extra key' on his keyboard really grabs your attention.

Hmm, when zooming into the picture as far I can see it is another FCTN key (with the black dot) on it,

maybe easier to use it, never seen it before. Is it customized or did it ever exist as normal keyboard?

Edited by globeron

WOW! everything fits like a glove. A very nice and tidy setup. I like it. Could we get a closer view of the box enclosing your Lotharek HxC? What is it and where did you get it?

Thanks. Yeah, I'm also happy with how clean it looks. It helps having the PEB standing vertically.

Re: the Lotharek HxC, here are some detail photos:

I hesitated on installing the Lotharek for a while because I wasn't sure how best to mount it outside of the PEB. But it actually turned out to be a fairly easy project:

1) It's powered by the same external power supply I had been using to test bare IDE/SATA hard drives.

2) I removed and re-purposed the shell/casing from an old PC CD drive. The hardest part was hand painting it black and then bending the bottom flanges a bit to make it fit. (The Lotharek itself is resting in a 3.5"-to-5.25" floppy drive mount. That mount slid fairly easily into the old shell/casing, again, with a little bending.)

• Like 1

It's customized, but hopefully he'll chime in and let us know what's up.

Yeah, I've always wondered about the keyboard. I've never seen grey keys in a black console. But you're right: it's clearly a modification. I shot a couple of photos and removed a few keys to show the evidence: you can see the console's plastic frame has been somewhat roughly cut to accommodate the extra Function key.

What's interesting is that someone obviously went through a lot of trouble to do this: I'm assuming they needed to remove the keyboard from another beige console and then modified it with a spare function key swiped from yet another keyboard.

What's also interesting is that I received it in this condition back in 1985. Too bad I didn't realize it at the time. Would've been good to ask the previous owner about it.

I find that this grey keyboard is somewhat stickier than I remember the black keyboard being on my 2nd console. Several months ago, I posted about experimenting with dampening material. I finally did do that so I'll update my earlier post, along with photos, soon.

• Like 3

Greg sells them at Arcadeshopper.com I believe. Or you can cut the RF adapter off that one and splice RCA jacks onto the ends. Super easy mod.

Welcome!!!!

Thank-you, Opry99er. :)

I think I will go with modifying the RF adapter cord. Of course now I need an RCA cable (which the local thrift store tends to have in quantity).