IGNORED

Commando game repro for A7800

santosp

Hello to all. :)
Reading an article about the next generation Atari's console's after VCS2600 era, I meet for first time the Atari7800 game console. :thumbsup:
I was impressed with the so many similarities on hardware with other 8 bit computers of the same company. A big mystery for me :? is why not use as standard a Pokey ic on board, something that would greatly improve the audio capabilities of the console! Remember that we talking for the flagship game console of the company for that era....
So many Games which are rewritten for this, could have much better sound from the "zip zip and zap" :P of an ic constructed for a console of the year 1977.
Also with the simple addition of this ic new horizons will unfold, like SIO communication, external keyboard , paddles, light pens, touch tablets, and generally support for many joy ports simultaneously.
Ok I know cause many of the above exceeds the functions of a game console, and simply referred to as capability. :-D
Anyway all that gone, and now if some game publisher wanted to do better sounds should have dissipate one Pokey ic on its cartridge!!!!! Of course this also mean extra pcb and logic ic on cart, and finally a high price rate for the end customer.
In my personal view, clear proof of the above is the existence of only two games who have a Pokey on its cartridge. Ballblazer and Commando.
Now to the point. ;)
Before half month start looking for a schematic on the Commando game, and thanks to admirably website work of Mr. Dan Boris, I succeed design the pcb. For the external dimmensions I use as pattern the pcb of a Karateka cartridge.
- I decide to make a world wide edition which will may work on any PAL or NTSC A7800 console. This is possible with a very tiny pinhole on the side of the cartridge, who give access in an internal micro switch.
- The entire surface of pcb is coated with ENIG (gold plated).
- Pokey ic is in NOS condition never used before, purchased from B & C Computer Visions and placed on a 40 pin socket. You now cause these ic's will not exist for ever, and therefore deserve our respect. :thumbsup: ;-)
- I have use plastic enclosures from original second hand Atari 7800 cartridges, without scratches etc.
- Last the decall on front and up edge is new and printed on PET glossy paper. A big thanks on KevinMos3 for
the label arrangement.
Kevin on my eyes you are professional!!
Guys, if any of you would like to have a complete cartridge for your collection, as is in photos below, I can make one for you. Total cost including tracked shipping and Paypal fee will be 38 euro equal some to 50$.
I will be happy if finally were able to sell the few cartridges here on AtariAge. As with all my build so far, so will be available only once.
Thank you Panos.

IMG 001 3200

IMG 002 3200

IMG 003 3200

IMG 9532 3200

IMG 9540 3200

• Like 4

Great work, but I don't know about the price, I mean if you look hard enough, you can get these for half the price. :?

Or less, if you are patient...

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2212812572151?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=221281257215&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Does it support 512K bankswitching, like the original Commando board?

My friend I would not want to go into such a discussion with their corresponding cartridges sold on ebay. Εxcept that talking about second-hand used 20 years old cartridges, those are the standard PAL or NTSC versions.

My try-work is to make not an exact copy of original, but a better pcb, with a special decal, and with worldwide support PAL/NTSC. Also not forget cause is a new never used cart, plus the pcb is far better from those of Atari.

Also if you want to speak for cost, you can try to make one like this and determine how much it will cost you. I don't make a large production from that, and to collect all the parts from USA mainly and China, cost quite a bit.

Yes it support 512K bank switch like the original, plus x2 thanks to 27C020 eprom.

Edited by santosp

$50 for a $20 cartridge? Odd.

AtariFriend you know, I have seen in the past on Ebay many Commando carts for 50 and 60 dollars. But nobody talks about these..... :( .

Also we speak for 20 years used cartridges, who support only one or the other version. ;)

Edited by santosp

Not trying to mess up your sales, it's all good, I was just wondering how you justify it. :)

What does "muscle sentence" mean?

Είχα τρία διαφορετικά κυκλώματα που κατασκευάζονται, μόνο αυτό το μήνα. ;)

AtariFriend you know, I have seen in the past on Ebay many Commando carts for 50 and 60 dollars. But nobody talks about these..... :( .

Also we speak for 20 years used cartridges, who support only one or the other version. ;)

OK well $50+ does happen sure, but there is the vintage collectable part to having an original which a premium is paid.

$50 original or $50 reproduction the numbers don't add up. I appricate the work you did making the PCB, shame you

can't get a large amount of them done at once to help your cost as I can tell you from first hand experience when you

order in large amounts PCB's of the size your making can get ALOT cheaper depending on the fabrication house you

get to make them.

I'm sure that Panos knows the price break on volume PCB purchasing, for this is not his first rodeo offering his services to the Atari community. I understand Panos offering and for someone who is looking to obtain an Atari 7800 Commando cart this is an awesome deal to get an "Improved" version (PCB). I have two of the originals, but I'm tempted to get one from Panos as I know his quality and workmanship.

Mike

Nobody talks about those because those people paid too much. This game isn't quite that rare. It's normally worth about $18 depending upon condition. What you're doing is nice, but it's not in heavy demand, so the higher price isn't going to help.

Nobody talks about those because those people paid too much. This game isn't quite that rare. It's normally worth about $18 depending upon condition. What you're doing is nice, but it's not in heavy demand, so the higher price isn't going to help.

Unfortunately the asking price here is not determined by its rarity or not. ;) Ηas to do with the actual cost needed to build. Also I should remind to everyone cause I'm not one who started comparing mine construction with the original construction of Atari. Nor speaking about rarities etc....

Demand sets the price, always. Again, what you're doing here is nice, but it's not in demand. No one asked you to do it. You took it upon yourself to make these carts. At that point the cost to make them is your own sole responsibility.

If someone is willing to pay the $50 you're asking, that's great. If not, you may end up stuck with a bunch of products you have to sell below cost just to get rid of them.

In my own personal opinion, none of these games should really sell for more than $5.00 each, because they are 30 years out of date, not the latest tech, and not very popular. The retro gaming market is a very small niche. to most of the world, these are worthless old games nobody wants or cares about.

However, if your PCB can be adapted to handle multiple formats if 7800 carts, there may be much more interest on the part of Albert here at AA or some of the other AA Homebrew repro makers if they can be mass produced.