IGNORED

ST - Lantronix UDS-10 - Slirp - Success

Fletch

I've had a Lantronix UDS-10 for a number of years. On occasion, I'd use it with my STe to telnet into my Mac and run Lynx or IRC or the like. And though this sort of got the ST onto the internet it was not a very authentic experience as the Mac was doing all the work.

I remembered messing around with Slirp, which emulates a SLIP, CSLIP or PPP connection over a shell account, and an Apple Newton may years ago. It dawned on me that this might be a viable option for the ST using my UDS-10. In the nineties, I had an Atari Falcon and a dial up shell account that worked much the same way. I'd connect via modem using STiK to my ISP. Connected via SLIP and the the Falcon was able to to run CAB, Antmail, Newsie and others.

The source for Slirp is here http://slirp.sourceforge.net

So, I installed Slirp on an old PowerMac G5 and rummaged through some old floppies to find STiK. I then edited STiK's DEFAULT.CFG to match the MTU needed for Slirp. Then I edited the DIAL.SCR default phone numbers to the IP Address of the G5. Next I changed the FIND and RESP settings so that STiK would log me into the G5 and get an IP Address for the ST.

I tried to connect and ....... nothing. I went back and read the MAN for Slirp and realized I needed to specify the BAUD rate. The default Slirp baud is 115K and the ST can only handle 19.2K. I changed that setting, connected and all works. It's really really slow, but satisfying.

I've attached some pics.

Fletch

post-3523-0-72732600-1384699044_thumb.jpg

post-3523-0-22384400-1384699061_thumb.jpg

post-3523-0-75866700-1384699068_thumb.jpg

post-3523-0-32997600-1384699074_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fletch
  • Like 3

• 11 months later...

Using a setup like this, you could even get wireless web browsing,

e-mail etc...not just telnet. Cool stuff. :)

Yep, if your plugged ONE OF THESE into the Lantronix UDS-10 you would would have a WiFi capable Classic Computer. Although you would have to configure the device on a PC for your network first, then hook it up to the older system.

You can go wireless with some older tech as well. I posted a thread about how I did it with my STacy, here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/208969-the-strangest-things-happen-late-at-night/?hl=%2Bwireless&do=findComment&comment=2698515

Of course, once Jookie gets all the bugs ironed out on the ComosEX, that's gonna make my setup above

obsolete. :)

Edited by DarkLord