IGNORED

HSC Season #4 - Game 11 Night Stalker

cparsley

Felson - Night Stalker - 346500

e4asa8y9.jpg

Getting there. 500K soon I hope. The tough part is it normally takes me at least 90 minutes to get a score in this range.

Some info/tips about my favorite inty game.

Awesome tips, Felson! I plan on playing this week-end, but I'll probably post a score close to the bottom rung. I only just started liking and playing this game recently, and I love it.

Part of the reason I disliked this game when I was a kid was because I never owned it. I remember fantasizing about Night Stalker from the games catalog booklet that came with the cartridges at that time. The short sci-fi/techno-thriller story blurb caught my attention and captured my imagination. I was fascinated by the idea of the game, in much the same way that I was captivated by things like Star Wars or The Day The Earth Stood Still.

On a few occasions I got the chance to play the game at the local electronics shop where they were selling Intellivisions. I was immediately disappointed: the game was slow, and the robot seemed silly with random movements, and it felt like I kept dying for arbitrary reasons. I never got past the first robot, so a few sessions of this and I hated the game. I couldn't find any of the excitement and action advertised in the catalog, none of the sci-fi thrill; it just seemed like a slow, boring game. That first and hastily composed impression stayed with me.

Later on, when I got a chance to play it on emulation in the Intellivision Lives! package, once again I my mind rushed with childhood memories of killer robots and futuristic scenarios. However, after trying it for a few minutes, I reinforced my original impression, and dismissed the game completely.

I believe it was last year or the year before, when I posted a version of this story in a Night Stalker discussion thread, that other people tried to convince me of what a wonderful game it was, how much they loved it, and how all those things I thought were missing, were actually there in spades. I thought they were all crazy! How can they think this is one of the best Intellivision games when I remember it being such crap?!

So I gave it a chance. I REAAAAALLLY gave it a chance and played it for more than a few minutes. I must say that my perseverance payed off. I started noticing the nuances of the game, and understanding the hunter/prey style of game-play. Moreover, after going through a few of the different robots, I saw the rich and complex game-play that evolved from such a simple setting. I thought, wow, this game is my kind of game!

Then an unexpected thing happened... All those childhood fantasies of killer robots in a dystopian future, all the imaginings inspired by that short blurb on the games catalog, they were all suddenly fulfilled--and the disappointment assumed before, was suddenly erased! At once, my newfound enjoyment of the game was somehow directly connected to those childhood memories, and it felt as if I had loved this game forever.

It's weird. I can honestly say that Night Stalker is one of my favourite Intellivision games, even though I never actually played it much as a child. It did inspire many things in me, and it certainly added interest to my childhood; and now that I learned to enjoy it, I somehow regret how I didn't give it a chance and missed out on it.

(I have a similar story about the Hobbit novel, where I dismissed it in my childhood as just a little kids' book with wizards and magic, and elves and goblins; and it probably has unicorns, rainbows, and flying ponies, and other girly stuff too! But that's for another day.) :)

Cheers!

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 1

Seems like I had this problem last time we played this. I'm using the Nostalgia emulator and while I can control the direction I move with my PC joystick, I can't fire. I don't remember how I fixed this last time. Can anyone help?

EDIT: Never mind..duh!!! I just went back to the last time we played this and read my same question and resulting answer about firing the gun...

Edited by jblenkle
  • Like 1

chocolate is my #2 favorite caffeine choice!

I was playing on 1 speed, but I'll switch to disc now. just for the hek of it I'll post my 1 score:

whoah! impressive...

looking forward to some faster action

thanks felson for your comments, this game is getting very interesting for me & improving my interest in the Intellivision!

8.900 and so its not more than one point for taking part of these challenge. Thats why I dont think a screenshot is neccessary, if it is let me know and I post it later. If I improve this score today I post it, but I dont think I find the time to play. A problem which happened too often the last rounds.

The game is over, sorry... I havent been able to give as much detail as I have in the past....

The next game, Carol vs the World is up, and with DZ_Jay's crew there to help cover some slack, at least for the first few days, I'll use that to catch up on the previous games, leaderboards, and stats. :)

Now, go save Christmas!

• Like 1