IGNORED

SIO2PC/10502PC Dual-USB 4th run

atari8warez

Decided to make another batch of these. Please note that this is not a preorder thread in a sense I do not require a certain amount of orders to make this run, it will happen regardless of number of orders and I will offer 20 devices this time around.

I already have the PCBs and I am waiting for one last part to arrive and I've already started soldering other components.

This is what you get:

- SIO2PC and 10502PC functionality in one unit, USB connection to the PC emulating a VCP.

- True Hardware auto-sensing independent of software. If the device is plugged into an Atari computer it functions as SIO2PC, if connected to a disk drive it will function as a 10502PC.

- Activity/power led color is user selectable (Green or Red, via a jumper on the PCB)

- 100% compatible with AspeQt with maximum SIO speeds achievable (125kbps), compatible with APE when using proper APE drivers but performance may be reduced and not guaranteed. Up to 9975 B/sek average SIO speed (when tested with RWTEST running under AspeQT (Pokey divisor 0), U1MB/High Speed OS enabled with SDX and DEVICE SIO /A in config.sys, test drive mounted with 512bytes/sector test ATR.)

- Durable plastic enclosure (black)

- Built-in SIO Cable (1') or built-in SIO plug (specify when ordering)

- Mini-B USB Cable (2')

I already have 2 individuals interested so 18 more devices will be available. If you are interested or have questions post it here and PM me for payment/address details.

Thank you.

post-15627-0-52855000-1384820767_thumb.jpg post-15627-0-89378600-1384821887_thumb.jpg post-15627-0-73075500-1384822519_thumb.jpg

post-15627-0-24413200-1384822702_thumb.jpg post-15627-0-39828400-1384822806_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

How much is it? What is the functionality difference when plugged in to a 1050?

Sorry I forgot to put the price on the post :) . It is $45 + $10 shipping. When plugged into a 1050 the device functions as a 10502PC, when plugged into an Atari 8 bit it functions as an SIO2PC. 10502PC functionality is for connecting an Atari drive to a PC for the purpose of copying real atari disks into ATR disk images, those images are saved to the PC's hard drive and they can later be used as virtual disks when the Atari is connected to the PC with this same device.

I only tested with the old proprietary drivers, new APE driver that support VCP hasn't been tested as I don't have them, although if it is compatible with FTDI drivers it should work fine however I can not tell how fast or whether as fast as the FTDI drivers. AspeQt with FTDI drivers is the only combination guaranteed to work at maximum SIO speeds (using Hias' hi-speed OS which is available standalone or as included in U1MB/IDE Plus 2 (?) )

Edited by atari8warez

Thanks Sowden.

I have now 5 devices accounted for and 14 more available (I am keeping one for myself :) ). Please note that I will track all progress on this thread. Currently I am still waiting for the last part to arrive and will start accepting payments after I announce the arrival of that part on this thread. In the meantime anyone interested with one of these devices please PM me with your Full Name, Shipping address, the type of connection to the Atari - Cable or plug -, and the PC OS(es) you intend to use the device with.

Thank you

Edited by atari8warez

I am interested! PMing. Question though, when are you thinking you would get these completed and shipped out? Family coming down for Christmas and would need it before then, so I would much rather get this version as opposed to the atarimax one.

If there are no delays in getting my last component (which should be any day now), I am pretty confident that I will ship most devices (if not all) by or before Christmas.

I also replied to your PM so please check that too.

Current list of orders:

I am still waiting for the last part to arrive, it's been just over a month ago I ordered these parts! and they're still on their way!... Assembly is going on nonetheless, I still hope I will be able to post all the orders before or by Christmas.

Thank you to everybody who have made a payment even before I confirmed arrival of the parts.

I still have 6 more devices to go before I close ordering.

post-15627-0-07866500-1385749372_thumb.png

Edited by atari8warez

Heres a question I have. Say if I take this cable here and plug it into the 10502PC plug.

http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=350

Then I plug a normal thumb drive into it. Would the Atari be able to read atrs off of that thumb drive, or does it need a program like AspeQt to communicate properly?

The SIO2PC/1050toPC does nothing without the support software on the computer, hence SIO2PC. If you are wanting to do files directly, you need something like the SIO2SD/SDriveNuxx and place the files you want on a SD card. You can also get any of the number of RamCarts that various people are making to do the same thing.

The great thing about about an SIO2PC device is it's not just a virtual drive. It also gives you access to other computer hardware like your printer or network/Internet connection.

The SIO2PC/1050toPC does nothing without the support software on the computer, hence SIO2PC. If you are wanting to do files directly, you need something like the SIO2SD/SDriveNuxx and place the files you want on a SD card. You can also get any of the number of RamCarts that various people are making to do the same thing.

The great thing about about an SIO2PC device is it's not just a virtual drive. It also gives you access to other computer hardware like your printer or network/Internet connection.

Yeah thats true. Just wondering about compatibility.

SIO2PC is only a converter that converts PC COM port's RS232 signal levels to Atari's SIO TTL logic signal levels (+- 25v to 0-5v) so that the Atari can communicate with a RS232 compatible device (in this case it is your PC which looks like a disk drive to the Atari). The software that emulates the disk drive(s) and other devices like a printer and a modem runs on your PC (AspeQt and APE are two examples of such software). The USB in this case is merely a connection standard used to connect the SIO2PC to the PC. Since many modern computers do no longer have legacy RS232 serial ports, need arouse to emulate a legacy COM port on the PC so that RS232 compatible devices can still be connected to the PC using the USB port. So SIO2PC also contains a USB to serial UART which does the USB to asynchronous conversion.

SIO2PC/10502PC Dual-USB device that I am selling here is basically the above described device but also incorporates a multiplexer chip to switch input and output pins of the SIO connector. This way, the device can also work as a 10502PC so one can connect an Atari drive to the PC and copy files to/from it. My device uses SIO pin 9 (Proceed) to detect whether an Atari computer or an Atari disk drive is connected. Since Proceed signal is pulled-low on Atari drives but high on the Atari computers it is a good way of determining what is connected to the interface and the interface then can change its operating mode accordingly.

Here's a simplified illustration of the concept:

post-15627-0-43369600-1385853267_thumb.jpg

So by itself the SIO2PC does not provide any emulation and depends on the software running on the PC and since a thumb drive is only a storage media it will not work as an emulated drive. There is however another device called SIO2USB sold by ABBUC (from Germany) which does exactly what you imagined SIO2PC would do, that device is essentially an Atari peripheral emulator device with its own firmware and emulates an Atari drive when a USB flash drive is connected to it.

Edited by atari8warez