IGNORED

SIO2PC/10502PC Dual-USB 4th run

atari8warez

Hot glue!

Yeah that would work, also after I posted the photo above I remembered I have a lot of surplus SIO cable and I can use the sheath to cut some screw post supports on both sides, the fit is perfect and it provides solid support to the PCB.

post-15627-0-10009400-1389137980_thumb.jpg post-15627-0-13541700-1389137993_thumb.jpg post-15627-0-23362900-1389138008_thumb.jpg

post-15627-0-42806900-1389141280_thumb.jpg

Edited by atari8warez
  • Like 1

Yeah that would work, also after I posted the photo above I remembered I have a lot of surplus SIO cable and I can use the sheath to cut some screw post supports on both sides, the fit is perfect and it provides solid support to the PCB.

attachicon.gif20140107_182557.jpg attachicon.gif20140107_182717.jpg attachicon.gif20140107_183005.jpg

attachicon.gif20140107_185316.jpg

Instead of notching the board for the cable retainer you could trim the retainer height on one of the 2 hood pieces. The board would be held between the retainers when the hood is assembled, and this would put the board off-center to allow the USB connector to fit in the hole for the cable.

Instead of notching the board for the cable retainer you could trim the retainer height on one of the 2 hood pieces. The board would be held between the retainers when the hood is assembled, and this would put the board off-center to allow the USB connector to fit in the hole for the cable.

True and I've already tried that option too, my only concern in that is it makes it for a more difficult assembly not only for me but also for people who might want to get just the finished PCB and use their own SIO plug as the enclosure. It's not that I mind doing the whole complete assembly myself, but it's the rising shipping costs from the two suppliers of SIO cables in US that makes me think about this option, on top of that Best Electronics is limiting the number of SIO cables they want to sell at a time, last time I had to go through B&C but they also charge high shipping fees now, on the other side of the ocean Lotharek's SIO cable/plug page still says "do not order" and I don't know when he will make them available for sale. I still haven't checked and compared footprints of the mini and micro USB plugs, if they're the same, trimming may become mandatory for a proper fit.

You know, I wouldn't mind sending an SIO cable to you in exchange for a discount on using one side of the cable to create my SIO2PC "in a plug". And you can keep the other side for another customer order :) Do you think if people are willing to do this on an order it would make life a little easier in sourcing them?

You know, I wouldn't mind sending an SIO cable to you in exchange for a discount on using one side of the cable to create my SIO2PC "in a plug". And you can keep the other side for another customer order :) Do you think if people are willing to do this on an order it would make life a little easier in sourcing them?

Yeah I guess I can do that for customers who definitely want me to do a complete assembly work.

Edited by atari8warez

I for the first time broke out the interface (1st run) to give it a go. Plugged it in, It asked for drivers, opened up cd case only to find it empty..........

I cannot remember opening it to have a look. I have looked through all my cds and haven't found it. What was printed on the cd itself so i know what to look for???

James

For the first run the DVD came in a jewel box and the box had an insert in the front cover which said SIO2PC/10502PC Dual-USB on it. The DVD itself had no label on. In your case I may have forgotten to put the DVD in if you're sure you haven't removed it from the case. If you can't locate your DVD, the drivers, the documentation or the whole DVD can be downloaded from my website. You need to download drivers marked AW8 unless you're a Mac OSX user.

Edited by atari8warez

@Atari8warez

Have you heard any complaints of the use of this interface with USB30 port on any of the newer USB equipped Windows computers..

Nope, but I was thinking that USB 3 is backward compatible with USB 2 so there would not be any issues, I maybe wrong of course. Did you hear or have any problems with it? Personally i don't have any USB 3 ports yet so I can not test it.

Edited by atari8warez

Couple of people asked me about how to use a sector copier program like Copy2000 with AspeQt and my SIO2PC/10502PC Dual-USB device to copy their Atari Disks to an ATR image file on the PC. Here's a step-by-step instructions (This tutorial is also available in PDF format from my website)

The following instructions are for copying unprotected disks, for protected disks AtariMax Prosystem must be used with the SIO2PC/10502PC Dual-USB.

1. Make sure you installed the proper drivers (Windows & Linux Users / Mac OS X users) successfully before attempting this procedure (Refer to Installation Guidelines available in PDF format from my website). Also make sure there is no heavy CPU usage software running on your PC in the background. Following instructions are Windows specific, for Linux and Mac OS X make necessary substitutions where the PC OS functions are mentioned.

2. Connect your Atari disk drive (1050/810/Other) to the SIO port of your Atari,

3. Connect the SIO2PC/10502PC Dual-USB to the second SIO port of your disk drive,

4. Set the Drive ID of your disk drive to D2: (using the drive-id switch at the back of the drive, (refer to page 4 of the Atari DOS 2.5 user manual for switch settings)

5. Insert the USB cable of the SIO2PC to the same port you used when you installed the drivers (you may use another USB port but you will then need to re-install drivers)

6. Go to device manager in Windows and expand the Ports (COM & LPT) branch of the device tree and note the COM port used by the SIO2PC device.

7. Start AspeQt on the PC/Laptop and If you are using AspeQt for the first time you may be asked whether you want to change the Options, answer yes, otherwise click Tools/Options from the menu and select "Standard Serial Port" on the Options dialog.

8. Under "Port Name" type the port name you noted in step 6. above. Change "Handhake method" to DSR and high-speed mode baud rate to 57600 bps if you are using a high-speed capable OS or DOS on your Atari computer, otherwise select 19200 bps.

There are several choices for using a high-speed SIO capable Atari computer. For the purposes of this guide I included an Atari DOS 2.5 disk image enhanced with Hiassoft's high-speed OS patch. The patch will load automatically when your XL/XE computer is booted from AspeQt. Note that this patch will not work with 400/800 series. For those computers see Hias's high-speed patch page for instructions on how to create 400/800 compatible boot disk image. High speed SIO is also natively supported by SpartaDos 2.x and up and SDX in various maximum speeds (other DOS may also support high speed SIO). For the purposes of this tutorial we will stick with patched Atari DOS 2.5

Alternatively you may use non-standard speeds by checking the "Use non-standard speeds" check box on the Options dialog. If you check that option you need to specify a Pokey Divisor for AspeQt to calculate the actual baud rate. Many Virtual Com Ports (like the one that is created by this SIO2PC device) support non-standard serial port baud rates and AspeQt can take advantage of these. At Pokey Divisor 0 you will reach the highest SIO speeds possible but not all software may work reliably at that speed, it is best to experiment with speeds before settling with one. For this tutorial we will stick with the safe 3 X SIO speeds (57600 bps).

9. Click Save and accept "Standard Serial Port" settings as defined in step 8. above.

10. Now download and mount the AtariDOS 2.5 disk image (.ATR) to drive slot D1: in AspeQt by clicking the blue disk icon and browsing the folder in which the file resides (or drag the file out of the folder it resides and drop it onto drive 1 slot in AspeQt)

11. Next, download and mount COPY2000 disk image to AspeQt drive slot D4:

12. Turn your Atari drive ON and insert a single or enhanced density disk you want to make a disk image copy of.

13. Turn your Atari XL/XE ON and if everything was set properly so far you should see your Atari booting AtariDOS 2.5 from AspeQt drive number 1.

14. After the DOS boots and the Atari drops into BASIC type DOS to go to the DOS Menu.

15.At this point you should have DOS 2.5 disk image in D1:, no disk images mounted on D2: and D3, and COPY2000 disk mounted on D4: in AspeQt.

16. Swap drives D1: and D3: by dragging AtariDOS 2.5 disk image and dropping it onto drive slot D3:

17. Click Disk/New Disk Image from the AspeQt menu and click on either “Standard Single Density” or the “Standard Enhanced Density” radio button on the “Create a disk image” dialog depending on the density of the real disk to be copied. Click OK and an empty and untitled disk image will be mounted to the first available drive slot in AspeQt (that will be the drive slot 1). Now you are ready to start copying.

18. Go back to your Atari and type “L” from the DOS Menu, then type D4:COPY2000.COM and press Return, COPY2000 will load and will display:

SOURCE: D1
TARGET: D2
FORMAT: YES
MEMORY: (Will depend on the available RAM in your Atari)
DENSITY: - (Will be filled in later)

Since you really want to copy from D2: to D1, press OPTION console key to swap drive numbers so that SOURCE will be D2: and TARGET will be D1:

Press START console key on your Atari twice and COPY2000 will start a sector copy of disk in drive 2, to the blank disk image in drive 1

19. COPY2000 may perform more than one pass depending on the available memory your XL/XE has, also the copy speed will depend on the speed enhancement upgrade you may have in your Atari drive. With a stock Atari drive, reads will be at normal SIO speeds but writes to the disk image will be at the set AspeQt speed. Once the copy is finished, click on the “Show D1:’s Properties” button (the icon immediately to the left of the disk image name – Untitled image) to see a directory of the newly created disk image.

20. Next, click on the “Save D1:” button (the third icon to the left of disk image name) to permanently save the disk image file to your PC’s hard drive. You could also give the image a meaningful name during this process. Note that the 2nd button to the left of the disk image name is used to “commit all changes to the disk automatically”, if this button is clicked it will turn blue to indicate that auto-save is ON for this drive, meaning all changes to this disk will be saved to the PC’s hard disk in real time. To turn it OFF, click on it one more time. This setting is turned OFF by default and won’t be remembered in between AspeQt sessions, and you need to enable it each time you want to use it.

There you have it; you successfully created your first disk image from one of your existing floppy disks.

Attachment’s:

1. Atari DOS 2.5 disk image with high-speed SIO patch.
  2. Copy2000 sector copier disk image.
Edited by atari8warez

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: Ordering is now closed on this 4th run, if there are still people interested I would consider another run shortly after this one is completely shipped. The first shipment of this order will be either tomorrow or the day after, others following it shortly thereafter. I will post current status towards the end of this week.

I'll take one from the next run.

I will soon have about 40 units available, this time around it will be imbedded into an SIO plug. I am doing the board design as we speak, it's a bit of a challenge to fit everything into 5 cm2 (or roughly 0.77 in2) board, minus the screw hole in the middle, given i do manual soldering. I should have them ready in about a month.

Thank you for your interest.

Edited by atari8warez
  • Like 1

I will soon have about 40 units available, this time around it will be imbedded into an SIO plug. I am doing the board design as we speak, it's a bit of a challenge to fit everything into 5 cm2 (or roughly 0.77 in2) board, minus the screw hole in the middle, and still be able doing manual soldering. I should have them ready in about a month.

Thank you for your interest.

Awesome, and even better having it embedded in the SIO plug! If you are keeping a list of those interested, I'd like 1 please when they are ready.

• 5 years later...

I think I will make them available for ordering through my website this time around, it's easier for me and probably for you guys too, but I will announce the availability here.

Is there any new info? Where I can order this device? WEBsite is down. Here I can't find any new announces.

Thank's in advance.