IGNORED

OT: Rhabarberbarbara

mizapf

Difficult to type this text because I'm partly still rolling on the floor, laughing. :D

You don't need to understand German. But now you might find a reason why to learn it ... or maybe not. The story is about a girl called Barbara with her Rhubarb pie.

Enjoy.

(No, we don't usually build such words. But we could.)

• Like 6

Die Barbaren kommen so oft ... = The barbarians come so often ...

Yes, there are similarities. :-)

As one can see, writing a parser may be more challenging for some languages than for others.

By the way, the longest German word officially used was Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz, the beef (Rindfleisch) labelling (etikettierungs) supervision (überwachungs) duties (aufgaben) delegation (übertragungs) act (gesetz), appearing in the Mecklenburg-Vorpommern parliament, which was reported to have triggered quite some amusement among its members.

Edited by mizapf

My college roommate studied in Germany in 1973 at Trier. He had a class that was taught by a very eloquent professor. He was a couple minutes late for class one day and the professor had already started. When he sat down he asked the student next to him what he had missed. The response: "Not much, he hasn't come to the verb yet."

• Like 1

My college roommate studied in Germany in 1973 at Trier. He had a class that was taught by a very eloquent professor. He was a couple minutes late for class one day and the professor had already started. When he sat down he asked the student next to him what he had missed. The response: "Not much, he hasn't come to the verb yet."

I'm not sure that's a sign of eloquence or weak-action verbosity :P (that genrally has no "characters"). (I'm sure it's just as true for German as well as English, given the similarities).

Here's an example - a bit forced - but underlines the problem:

"Once upon a time, as a walk through the woods was taking place on the part of Little Red Riding Hood, the Wolf's jump out from behind a tree, caused a freight on her."

whereas what I would consider eloquent is the story as we'd tell it to our kids, putting the action as close to the beginning of the phrase as possible:

"Once upon a time, Little Red Riding Hood was walking through the woods, when the Wolf jumped out from behind a tree and frieghtend her."

(This is an example from Joseph Williams' "Style - Lessons in Clarity and Grace" )

Edited by RobertLM78

• 8 months later...

He said Germanic, which is indo-european :). Got to face it, German and English are brothers.

And yes, Blackadder is one of my favorite sitcoms - in English; although we have really high quality dubbing in Germany, R. Atkinson just cannot be dubbed. In particular, not in that role.

• Like 1

He said Germanic, which is indo-european :). Got to face it, German and English are brothers.

And yes, Blackadder is one of my favorite sitcoms - in English; although we have really high quality dubbing in Germany, R. Atkinson just cannot be dubbed. In particular, not in that role.

Well-I have never been so offended!!!!, German and English may well be brothers-but I am f**king Scottish!!!!!! ;)

Well-I have never been so offended!!!!, German and English may well be brothers-but I am f**king Scottish!!!!!! ;)

It's SHITE being Scottish! We're the lowest of the low. The scum of the fucking Earth! The most wretched, miserable, servile, pathetic trash that was ever shat into civilization. Some hate the English. I don't. They're just wankers. We, on the other hand, are COLONIZED by wankers. Can't even find a decent culture to be colonized BY. We're ruled by effete assholes. It's a SHITE state of affairs to be in, Tommy, and ALL the fresh air in the world won't make any fucking difference!

Great to be a Yank. ;)

• Like 1