IGNORED

My twenty year reminiscence

Kirkman

How old were you in 1993? I was 5 years old, in Kindergarten, and was occupied with Sonic stuff.

I was 14. My dad had taken me on a trip to ToadFest in Maryland in November, where I got to try the Jaguar. Little did I know he and mom were working to obtain one for us.

Edited by Kirkman

I was 14. My dad had taken me on a trip to ToadFest in Maryland in November, where I got to try the Jaguar. Little did I know he and mom were working to obtain one for us.

That's awesome. My dad bought me a SEGA Genesis after his work buddies convinced him that it was better than that "Nintendo kiddie crap". Console wars never left :P

That's awesome. My dad bought me a SEGA Genesis after his work buddies convinced him that it was better than that "Nintendo kiddie crap". Console wars never left :P

His buddies were correct. ;)

A bit like my story. I was 11 and wanted an SMS or NES. But I have a realy cool mother, and she saw the Mega rive in action at the store, with Revenge of Shinobi. She then dragged me to the store and had the guy there show me all the systems to convince me how much better the MD was. It worked, and I am thankful my mom was not as shortsighted as little me.

As far as the Jagur goes, I got mine in 2009 together with a Jag CD, RGB Cable, Memory Track, Doom, AvP and Wolfenstein for 75 Euro on eBay. I then sold the Jag CD with Memory Track for 150 Euro. Which means I got the system with best hook up and 3 of the best games plus made a 75 Euro profit.

Great deal, but in hindsight I'm ad about not having a Jag CD because I miss out on Reboot's games. I can play on PC, but it's not the same. The shitty Jagpad just adds so much.^^

SMS had plenty of GREAT games (see what I did there?), but always hated their d-pad. Too large and often found yourself misdirecting. :(

Cool write-up Kirkman! I was 22 when the Jag hit the shelves and what a glorious thing it was back then. Was sold on the promise, hopes, wishes and dreams of a revitalized Atari and bought everything that came out for it at launch and continued, even when silly stuff like Theme Park and Syndicate came out. Silly as in: redundant (may as well play it on the computer) and not the type of games I was looking to play on a console. By the time Fight For Life was unleashed, all those hopes, wishes and dreams were crushed. Only stuck with the system long enough to have enjoyed Battlesphere for a year before selling. Missed the poor old girl and years later, reacquired the system and all of the good-great games for it. Healthier collecting and gaming habits have allowed me to enjoy the Jaguar for a much longer time this time 'round :)

Edited by save2600

• 2 weeks later...

We got the Jag for Christmas in 1993. All my other old computers are gone, but the Jaguar remains. And it's been rediscovered by my kids!

http://breakintochat.com/blog/2013/11/21/happy-birthday-atari-jaguar/

Thank you for sharing this great blog post that you wrote. It was nice reading your personal connection to the Jaguar and how you've handed it down to your children. You brought back some warm memories since I received a Jaguar for my 14th birthday back in 1997. The system was dying out then but I was an Atari diehard based on my fascination with the 2600, so my dad took me to Radio Shack and he ordered me a brand new one. I had a birthday party at my house where we all played the Jag and for that brief moment I felt like the Jaguar was a cool, exclusive system. I no longer own it but this brought back fond memories. And wow it's the 20th anniversary? Makes me feel old but it's cool that it's celebrating such a milestone and there's still a vibrant community of fans!

Thank you for sharing this great blog post that you wrote. It was nice reading your personal connection to the Jaguar and how you've handed it down to your children. You brought back some warm memories since I received a Jaguar for my 14th birthday back in 1997. The system was dying out then but I was an Atari diehard based on my fascination with the 2600, so my dad took me to Radio Shack and he ordered me a brand new one. I had a birthday party at my house where we all played the Jag and for that brief moment I felt like the Jaguar was a cool, exclusive system. I no longer own it but this brought back fond memories. And wow it's the 20th anniversary? Makes me feel old but it's cool that it's celebrating such a milestone and there's still a vibrant community of fans!

Thanks for your compliments!

Yeah, I've been surprised to learn about all the more recent developments for the Jag. I wasn't able to get in on the first round of "Another World," for example, but I hope they'll do another.

I was 25 when the Jaguar came out, and in college, which I was a freshman at the age of 24. I grew up with Atari (and to some extent Sinclair) computers and consoles and the Jaguar was a natural progression for me. I kept up with every scrap of info on Panther and Jaguar development. having skipped the Atari 16-bit computers (or any 16-bit computer/console), the Jaguar was a huge leap from 8-bit computers and consoles for me. I bought it with my book money for one semester. It's not like I wasn't exposed to 16-bit, I was...but I OWNED the Jaguar, the first 64-bit system! I was the envy of my fraternity when it came to video game consoles (and I was still using my 8-bit, 128k Atari 130XE for my college work-which was also the envy of much of my fraternity that didn't have their own computers, so they used my 130XE to write last minute, all-night term papers).

Edited by Gunstar

I was also in college when the Jag hit store shelves, and I already had money set aside for the system. I can still remember passing the controller around with friends to see who could get the high score on Tempest 2000 or trying to find all the little secrets in Cybermorph. Having backed other systems with 3rd party problems (SMS, T-16) I could see "The Handwriting on the Wall" when it came to games. We where all left with the question of "What if..." when it came to the Jaguar. Still memories of epic tournaments in Brutal Spots Football and Ultra Vortek will have to due.

Hi folks,

in the last six weeks or so I’ve spent quite a time with the Jag. The biggest time since my hardcore Jag gaming days in 1995-1998. Most of the recent none gameplay activities resulted in videos for the Jag-is-20 bash. The last video ATARI JAGUAR Collection 2013 - Part 3: My (hi-)story, in which I tell my Jag (hi-)story, went online yesterday and marks the end of my Jag-is-20 activities.

Cheers, Urs