IGNORED

5200 OE HSC Season 1 Round 1 Missile Command

zylon

Since Missile Command won the 1st poll and we did play it in regular HSC, we'll play a mode not used very often: No Bonus mode. No bonus cities; just play until total annihilation.

Press # key at starting screen to enter this mode.

Only real 5200's and period-correct controls allowed. (cx52's + trackball) Read previous threads on the subject.

Games will last 1 week. Round ends on Sunday, December 1st 2013 @ 9pm EST

Current HSC record: Bust it for a bonus point!

Missile Command-(Default game with no bonus cities - Press # Key)
zylon 86,075(BUSTED)
New: zylon 115,585

Final scores:

115,585 zylon +1+11=12

92,380 darthkur +1+10=11

82,035 sdamon +9

80,690 peedenmark7 +8

49,115 Red Tide +7

39,965 roadrunner +6

33,790 RangerG +5

post-25215-0-26412600-1385342397_thumb.jpg

Edited by zylon

This should be a fun variation! I foresee lots of very short games in our future!

Only real 5200's and period-correct accessories allowed.

Period-correct AND made by Atari, right? Cx-52's and trackballs are ok, but Wico's and Competition Pro's are not, correct?

This should be a fun variation! I foresee lots of very short games in our future!

Period-correct AND made by Atari, right? Cx-52's and trackballs are ok, but Wico's and Competition Pro's are not, correct?

Wico's and Comp- Pro sticks were sold when the 5200 was current but will not be allowed. :)

Edited by zylon

Wico's and Comp- Pro sticks were sold when the 5200 was current and are allowed. :)

Another change.....?

My understanding was nothing but factory Atari items were allowed. That was the point I made in another post, which you agreed stating only upgraded contacts, before this was up and running.

What is the point of running an OE tournament if the only criteria is using a 5200 console ?

I am already competing all season long with a 2 and 4 port and am using a CX52 90+% of the time.

The regular season is long enough as it is, I would not have signed up for basically an extension of what I am already doing had this not been laid out crystal clear and reiterated after I questioned it twice.

I'll finish this round up and wait for the new season to begin... I see no point to this tournament if it is not 100% OE Atari only :)

Edited by peedenmark7

Another change.....?

My understanding was nothing but factory Atari items were allowed. That was the point I made in another post, which you agreed stating only upgraded contacts, before this was up and running.

What is the point of running an OE tournament if the only criteria is using a 5200 console ?

I am already competing all season long with a 2 and 4 port and am using a CX52 90+% of the time.

The regular season is long enough as it is, I would not have signed up for basically an extension of what I am already doing had this not been laid out crystal clear and reiterated after I questioned it twice.

I'll finish this round up and wait for the new season to begin... I see no point to this tournament if it is not 100% OE Atari only :)

Fair enough. Wicos and Comp pros's were sold right alongside the systems as were non-Atari produced games. Those 2 items were never asked about and are a grey area. If the other players agree, then I'd have no problem nixing them. I never bought any. I'm definitely against using Masterplay Interface adaptors though.

I'd say we nix them as well, and I say that as someone who uses the Wico all the time. Let's use this OE contest to completely level the playing field. :-) Time to use the non-centering, hand-cramping, mushy-fire-buttoned standard controllers the way Atari intended. :-)

The trackball is original Atari equipment though, so I'm curious if we should include it or not? Thoughts?

I think it should be the stock 5200 controller only, no exceptions. Minimal upgrades to it like the BEST ones are fine. This should be a stock contest, as if you brought home the 5200 in 1982. Otherwise, you open up too many exceptions. I have a Starcon. It is period correct, so I could use it, but that's not in the spirit of the contest (either is using a Masterplay).

I'd say we nix them as well, and I say that as someone who uses the Wico all the time. Let's use this OE contest to completely level the playing field. :-) Time to use the non-centering, hand-cramping, mushy-fire-buttoned standard controllers the way Atari intended. :-)

The trackball is original Atari equipment though, so I'm curious if we should include it or not? Thoughts?

Trak-ball is 100% period / factory correct. Though something I own but seldom use, it should absolutely be included , especially for this particular game.

attachicon.gif100_5475.jpg

I always use the original controllers. In fact the one I'm currently using now is completely original. Ironically the other than has the BEST Gold upgrade has issues.

I am actually using a non upgraded one myself.. I seem to be burning through gold flex circuits and am tired of warranting or buying new ones. I'm averaging one every 3-4 months.

I may begin using the better flex circuit with the original carbon buttons in hopes that the softer contact will be less abrasive to the flex circuit.

BTW; Nice score !

• Like 1

Final scores:

115,585 zylon +1+11=12

92,380 darthkur +1+10=11

82,035 sdamon +9

80,690 peedenmark7 +8

49,115 Red Tide +7

39,965 roadrunner +6

33,790 RangerG +5

:) Looks like I've managed the 1st win of the 1st OE HSC and upped my PB/record as well. I'll also tip my hat to darthkur for giving me a good run and besting my original record. :thumbsup:

Thanks to all who played, especially while some bugs were worked out.

Remember, anyone is free to join in if you have the hardware.

Edited by zylon
  • Like 1