IGNORED

Jag Emulators Update. Yes, Plural.

Mindfield

First, Project Tempest has had an update to 0.5. Improvements this time around include improved blitter emulation which make 3D games work a little better, optimized video emulation, and optimized sound emulation.

Next up, true to the nature of Internet mouth-breathers, cal2 seems to have been getting a lot of badgering E-Mails and flames about the validity of Virtual Jaguar. In order to combat this, he has released a WIP binary to prove that it's real. The Windows binary is NOT optimized, and does not have sound or CD-ROM support enabled. NOTE: The keyboard layout is designed for an AZERTY keyboard, so when it says hit "A" for the "A" button, hit "Q".

I was just about to post some news about the first public release of the Virtual Jaguar emulator, but I can't get to the site.  Is anyone else having the same problem?  

..Al

I downloaded the emulator a while ago. It seems to run some things that PT can't run and PT runs some things VJ can't run. These guys ought to team up! :-) Both are impressive with what they do though. Good work!

I downloaded the emulator a while ago. It seems to run some things that PT can't run and PT runs some things VJ can't  run. These guys ought to team up! :-) Both are impressive with what they do though. Good work!

Great, I can't wait to try it out! I agree, given how complex a beast the Jaguar is and how difficult it must be to write a good Jaguar emulator, these guys working together could probably create a kick-ass emulator. However, as two distinct projects there is competition between them, which will encourage each project to outdo the other. So I don't see it as a bad thing. I'm glad to see not one, but two viable Jaguar emulators hit the scene. :)

..Al

PT 0.5 definitely seems a step above the previous releases: I've only used it to play T2K to any extent, but the frame rate is faster on my machine.

VJag seems to run more stuff and get further in some other ROMs, but the frame rate is a lot slower.

Both seem to have a made a lot of progress in the last few months; especially when so many people said it would be "almost impossible" to emulate a Jaguar. :D

Keep in mind that the first release of Virtual Jaguar is a debug release -- it's not optimized in any way and running anything in debug mode is going to slow things down, since it's generating all kinds of debug information as it goes.

As for the site, I can't seem to get to emu-france, either... seems to be down at the moment, unfortunately. I was able to grab the emu before this happened (hence the post) and briefly got a chance to play with it. So far, it's great! As has already been said it does run some things PT doesn't -- but PT can run things VJ doesn't. (Tempest 2000 for example runs far better on PT than on VJ) Either way though they're both great emus and the progress on both has been stunning.

For the benefit of those who can't access the release, I've attached the WIP Virtual Jaguar release.

vjwip.zip

VJ plays Defender 2000 and Cannon Fodder flawlessly. These are both games that I couldn't get to run under PT. Being that Cannon Fodder is one of my favorite Jag games I fairly happy it runs... though I would like if I could make the screen bigger. I'm sure future version's will be even better :).

It must have some major bugs though because I was doing darn good in Cannon Fodder lol.

Still can't beat the real thing though. I think I'll go play it on the Jag now.

As far as system specs are concerned, the more the merrier. My gear looks like this:

AMD Athlon XP 1800+ @ 1.53GHz on ECS K7VTA3-R board

512MB PC2700 DDR RAM

GeForce 3 Ti200 Video (64MB DDR)

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz audio

WinXP Pro

With sound, I get perhaps between 40 and 60FPS playing T2K, with choppy audio and huge lag (buffer at 10K samples). Ditto for D2K. I-War runs at around half its normal speed, possibly slower. Doom is almost a writeoff at around 5-10FPS. On the other hand, 68K-based games like Cannon Fodder and Raiden are full speed.

Comparing specs at this point though is a little moot, since neither of these emulators have progressed to the point of being optimized yet. Over time we'll see numerous speed improvements with both of them, and I'm sure by the time they're running most of the games flawlessly we'll have a couple of exceptional emulators that run well on systems with specs much lower than mine.

I just got around to trying out the Virtual Jag emu and it worked great with Wolfenstein 3D.  Very promising emulators, I wonder which one will have playable Jag CD support first?  :)

I would be happy with 100% cartridge compatibility first. And maybe gravis to:)