IGNORED

Atari Flashback 64 Special Edition

I dare say your fiancee stumbled across something that is totally new to the retro community. Even Bill Loguidice, who previewed AtGames' Flashbacks 3 and 4, doesn't seem to have known about it; he's been in contact with the company with regards to their in-progress Intellivision and ColecoVision projects, but this FB64 is out for sale already without a preview from him.

It seems odd that they subtitled it "Special Edition," considering it actually claims to have fewer games than the FB4 (whose formerly Bed Bath & Beyond-exclusive 76-game model (adds Millipede) seems to be out in other retailers this year). And what's with making a "64" Atari Flashback that isn't based on the Jaguar?

Anyway, tell us everything about it that you can, please. So far, the only thing I found is that a website out there is selling it for twice the normal price of the FB4. . . . Must be pretty Special.

onmode-ky

P.S. When you say "the other day," how long ago was that? I'd like to nail down as precise a "first sighting date" as possible in my records.

• Like 2

Sounds like it's basically a Flashback 3, since it had 60 games with wired joysticks, that now has the three Taito games Space Invaders, Jungle Hunt and Front Line included plus an extra game selected from 4's other additional 12, then another one to replace Secret Quest, maybe some kind of early prototype version, I wonder, hmmm...

Edited by TrekkiELO

Did the Flashback 3 have Start Select On/Off & Reset on the wired contrioller?

The back if this box shows a controller like this.

No.

I saw that too, but forgot to mention it!

Another possibility, maybe it's pirated?

Edited by TrekkiELO

Did the Flashback 3 have Start Select On/Off & Reset on the wired contrioller?

The back if this box shows a controller like this.

With contradicting controller images on the box (wired or wireless?) and no info at all on Atgames' website (or anywhere else on the web), I'm going to assume this is pirated. Why would Atgames release something like this when there's already the very similar FB3 and FB4 (with wireless controllers and more games) available?

I doubt it's pirated. Pirates don't make their own system revision, make improvements, and cut it down in other areas. They directly copy.

Mistakes aren't exactly unknown to the Flashback line. And I suspect that their website isn't exactly a high priority.

Edited by Atariboy

Other than no Breakout and no Millipede, I don't really notice any omissions.

Also

Blackjack

Crystal Castles

Football

Pong

Return to Haunted House

Slot Machine

Slot Racers

Stellar Track

Street Racer

Tempest

12+64=76

Edited by TrekkiELO

I've never given Return to Haunted House a real try although I certainly intend to one of these days, but the rest aren't much of a loss and aren't too noticeable like Breakout and Millipede are that most 2600 fans will have fond memories of.

Seems a shame that Millipede isn't here. It's one of the few great 1st party 2600 games that's free and clear to use, is designed for the included joystick, is single player, and is pure arcade action. Games like that are what will most appeal to the typical Flashback buyer.

Edited by Atariboy

I saw this system at a Walmart store yesterday and noticed something interesting printed on the side:

The versions of SPACE INVADERS, JUNGLE HUNT, FRONT LINE, and POLARIS included in the Atari Flashback® 64 are based on those created for the ATARI 2600® and therefore may differ in appearance and performance from the original arcade and console editions developed by TAITO Corporation.

Was this printed on the FB4 box, too? If it's something new with the FB64, then it seems like a specific statement that the Space Invaders in the system is the original 2600 game this time, rather than the arcade-styled rendition that was on the FB4. Can someone check it out? I'm also curious about how the system's menu looks; Bill Loguidice's videos showed that the FB4's menu was very different from the FB3's, so I'm wondering if things got changed again. The FB4 used a layout that limited the character length for game titles, resulting in things like Human Cannonball being just "Cannonball" and coming before Canyon Bomber in the alphabetical listing.

Alongside the system at the Walmart was a new 60-game edition of AtGames' Sega Genesis line, made up of 20 games by Sega and 40 generics (made by Tectoy or AtGames, I assume). The 20 Sega games (listed in the not-entirely-alphabetical order in which they're shown on the back of the box) are:

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle

Altered Beast

Alien Storm

Arrow Flash

Bonanza Brothers

Columns

Crack Down

DecapAttack

ESWAT: City under Siege

Fatal Labyrinth

Flicky

Gain Ground

Golden Axe

Golden Axe III

Jewel Master

Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi

Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball

Streets of Rage

Streets of Rage 2

Virtua Fighter 2

If the 40 generics are the same ones as what were on the 80-game system from last year, then this system seems to be essentially the same but missing half of its predecessor's Sega library. If AtGames releases no other product before the end of the month, their entire 2013 new product lineup will have consisted of just a pair of cut-down versions of things they released in 2012. . . .

onmode-ky

If the 40 generics are the same ones as what were on the 80-game system from last year, then this system seems to be essentially the same but missing half of its predecessor's Sega library. If AtGames releases no other product before the end of the month, their entire 2013 new product lineup will have consisted of just a pair of cut-down versions of things they released in 2012. . . .

onmode-ky

I did receive word that nothing new will make it out in 2013. All the new stuff will be in 2014. It will be a big year for them. They're considering new names for some of their product line as well.

• Like 1

I saw this system at a Walmart store yesterday and noticed something interesting printed on the side:

The versions of SPACE INVADERS™, JUNGLE HUNT™, FRONT LINE™, and POLARIS™ included in the Atari Flashback® 64 are based on those created for the ATARI 2600® and therefore may differ in appearance and performance from the original arcade and console editions developed by TAITO Corporation.

Was this printed on the FB4 box, too? If it's something new with the FB64, then it seems like a specific statement that the Space Invaders in the system is the original 2600 game this time, rather than the arcade-styled rendition that was on the FB4. Can someone check it out?

onmode-ky

Saw it yesterday, except what you read, it's indeed there printed on the side of both Atari Flashback 4s from that so-called Sam's Club (Exclusive, yeah right, not) this year along with their 40th Anniversary one from 2012, so "based on those created for the Atari 2600 and therefore may differ in appearance and performance from the original arcade and console editions developed by TAITO Corporation" is key!

Edited by TrekkiELO

I did receive word that nothing new will make it out in 2013. All the new stuff will be in 2014. It will be a big year for them. They're considering new names for some of their product line as well.

Since AtGames has their licenses, the Colecovision one will hopefully contain Sega arcade conversions like Turbo, Zaxxon, Carnival, Up'n Down, Congo Bongo, Space Fury and Subroc along with Taito's Front Line.

Possibilities

Universal

Cosmic Avenger

Lady Bug

Mr. Do!

Space Panic

Exidy

Mousetrap

Pepper II

Venture

• Like 1

Are the "64"'s joysticks wired, or wireless? Frankly, I avoided the FB4 because of those sticks.

It looks like this one has the wired controllers. You do realize you can plug in any standard wired controllers still, though, right, even if it's the one that comes with the infrared controllers?

The versions of SPACE INVADERS™, JUNGLE HUNT™, FRONT LINE™, and POLARIS™ included in the Atari Flashback® 64 are based on those created for the ATARI 2600® and therefore may differ in appearance and performance from the original arcade and console editions developed by TAITO Corporation.

One must instantly wonder why, then, they have the *arcade* version screenshot on the front of the box (see first post in this thread). One can't help to wonder what other inaccuracies there are, then?