IGNORED

What were some of your first Applesoft BASIC programs?

Keatah

My very first programs were just 10 PRINT "HELLO" 20 GOTO 10 type of things... I don't really remember how I learned to go beyond that, but I probably picked a lot up from magazines.

I spent a lot of time in junior high writing games and programs for the Apple 2. I'd skip lunch hour and go to the computer lab. Eventually I got a 2c at home. A few years back someone on AA kindly ripped my 5 1/4" discs and emailed the files to me, so I've got a modern, emulator-friendly copies of them. It was really cool to go back and look at them again after so many years - some good, some bad. It's a mix of action/arcade games and text-based RPGs which don't really go anywhere.

I had already gone through my truly trivial BASIC phase on the TRS-80 Model 1 at school, so my first Applesoft program was a slightly less trivial giant Lo-Res "THANK YOU" to my uncle Jim and aunt Michele for giving me a new Panasonic cassette player to go with my new ][+. It looked kind of like this, and was rock-solid reliable for a few years, until I got my first Disk ][:

vtg-panasonic-rq-2765-slim-line-ii-porta

Mike B.

• Like 1