IGNORED

Point Zero Demo

Mikes360

I have been working on a little 4k game trying to create something that feels in keeping with the arcade style gameplay many original 2600 games have.

The ultimate goal of this game is to get a score of zero!

Use the joystick to move around and pressing fire when moving increases your speed. Press fire while still to shoot your missiles and blow up bad guys.

Not everything is a bad guy there are also power ups to obtain.

Every thousand points you remove from the score a boss like ship will appear.... Don't get hit by its missiles!

Its still a work in progress so feedback is welcomed and I don't think it's bug free quite yet!

Point Zero.bin

Thanks,

Mike

• Like 4

Please make sure that you get the scanline count constant. Currently the screen is jumping. Use ALT+L in Stella to see.

Thanks my next thing is to sort the main kernel out to stop the jump. It only goes to 313 occasionally when firing a missile is this what you see?

• 1 month later...
Hi Guys,

I have spent more time finishing off this game and think its in a good place now and I have attached three different builds:

• 'Point Zero.bin' is the actual game. Have a blast let me know what you think and post you lowest score if you get a good one!

• 'Point Zero Boss Demo.bin' is a demo that quickly gets you to the boss section so you can see how it looks... If your not good enough to get there in the main game!

• 'Point Zero Trainer.bin' is a build that gives you infinite life's so you can practice technique and i also used this to test the game end to end.

I have tried it on real hardware and it works great on my Harmony Cart.

Hope you enjoy it and any feedback is welcome as this was my first assembly retro project and I'm currently looking for me next venture!

Mike

Point Zero Boss Demo.bin

Point Zero Trainer.bin

Point Zero.bin

• 4 weeks later...

I'm digging the speed vs. shoot mechanic you've got here, and who doesn't enjoy saving a city from aliens? I think the menu start effect, and the general look is solid. Details like the falling debris from exploded invader ships make it look extra classy.

That said, the "zero point" seems to be nothing more than a count-down timer at this point. If you're going for the title Point Zero, and the game objective is to get to zero, it seems there should be more than just a Pitfall-esque time limit. Is that any way to utilize the power-ups, enemy damage, or something to effect the counter? Certain actions reduce the count, others raise it? Something like that will add strategy beyond that of the standard fixed screen shooter.

Also, I figured out that your ship getting hit causes damage as indicated by the bars next to the timer, but am unsure what effect if any comes from the invading nasty thingies hitting the city shield (other than a noise). I was unsure what effect if any the blasted ship debris has (or could have) as it continues to fall.

-keep working on it and I'll keep playing it-

I'm digging the speed vs. shoot mechanic you've got here, and who doesn't enjoy saving a city from aliens?

I completely agree!

To clarify a few things shooting enemies does take additional points off the score but I also like the idea of certain actions increasing the score (Maybe being hit by an enemy). The City Shield is reduced when an un-blasted ship hits it. I don't display the health of that shield so you dont know how much shield is remaining.

Here is a link to my current latest build: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/221173-point-zero-new-homebrew/

Thank you very much for your feedback.