IGNORED

The latest member of my PCB family has arrived.

CPUWIZ

There is no negativity, What I ment was it's only a $5 PCB. And no pokey chips don't cost $10 not even close.

At the same time I'll ask why jump so high to someones defense for reproducing a retail game for what is

at least the exact same price as the vinage retail product? Many could say bad things about doing that (I'm not,

just pointing out it could be argued).

The whole idea of newer boards is to cut out the need for crazy prices not to encourage them and that goes

for all parties not anyone in particular.

And soon it won't matter as CPUWIZ will finish his old design and that exact same and or better will be out there

for homebrew use at a reasonable price and so will the games made using those boards.

Best Electronics - POKEY chip $10.00: http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/custom-i.htm

B&C ComputerVisions - POKEY chip $10.00: http://www.myatari.com/atarixlh.txt

Again, even if the new PCB only cost $5, new POKEY chip $10, and shipping is at least $5 from Greece to the US, I just don't see the issue with what is being offered for someone to buy for $50, especially having all the details laid out and made available in the thread. There's a lot of work, including planning and design that went into the product.

What there would be a bad thing to say is if someone was not transparent and just started placing new carts on ebay or elsewhere charging $50 claiming it is a new (old stock) original.

To answer your question, although I still don't understand where a 1000% profit comes from, I'm not jumping so high, just standing by what I stated previously.

I would love to see it offered as $30 or even $20, but santosp was completely transparent with what it costs and the reasons behind it in addition to the complete background/origin of the design and intent. Perhaps down the road he will find a cheaper way of doing it.

It will be awesome for CPUWIZ to finish his old design and to have something as good or even better. If someone was to come over and question his pricing or choice of what to offer I would post ("jumping so high") in a similar fashion. ;)

CPUWIZ is doing amazing work, and as I stated in the other thread, whether I am in need or interested in the product (Or even able to purchase it), I am glad to have one offered. Love to see the support and new products coming out for the 7800. CPUWIZ is building quite a PCB family and if it can be utilized by the community that would be fantastic.

• Like 3

CPUWIZ is doing amazing work, and as I stated in the other thread, whether I am in need or interested in the product (Or even able to purchase it), I am glad to have one offered. Love to see the support and new products coming out for the 7800. CPUWIZ is building quite a PCB family and if it can be utilized by the community that would be fantastic.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :)

;)

Ah, okay. So where's the Dual Pokey craziness? :)

If I recall correctly, the largest SMS carts were 8 Megabit, so your mega cart design brings the 7800 up to par with it. Did Nintendo ever go up to 16 Megabit? I doubt it.

I was just thinking that if the source code is available for 7800 Double Dragon, then it could be hacked to make an XM version that could use the Yamaha sound chip and thus the music from the Japanese SMS release could be used. I just became aware of the Japanese SMS consoles shipping with a similar Yamaha sound chip and the audio is so much better than the American version. A larger cart would be useful.

I thought the biggest legit NES cart was 4 Mb (512K) ?

There's some discussion online about one of the Kirby titles possibly being 6 Megabits.

CPUWiz's design for 8 Megabits of RAM would do well with a successor to the CC2. Throw in a Pokey or two and Bob's your uncle.

But speaking of the NES and it's cartridge capacities, I wonder if it would be possible to use one of their mapper chips in a 7800 cart. I'd have my doubts about it being able to work - because I'm aware that the 7800 was designed to have optional sound chips supported via cartridges but nothing about graphics chips - but then again, it would be rather negligent of Atari Inc. not to have informed GCC of adding such an option to the 7800 since Atari Inc was actively evaluating the Famicom's capabilities at the same time.

And continuing my thought in my previous post about using the Yamaha FM sound from the Japanese Double Dragon release on the SMS in a 7800XM specific release, how about adding Mastertronic's sound from their Atari ST release of Ninja Mission to an XM specific update to Ninja Golf? If you've never played Ninja Mission on the ST, someone's uploaded the soundtrack to YouTube.

Edited by Lynxpro

Are the YM2151 and AY8910 really that similar, though?

Either way, converting from one Yamaha sound chip to another has to be easier than adapting/recreating from a totally different sound chip. Even though the [Japanese] Sega Master System's Yamaha chip model number is higher than the one in the XM, from what I can tell, the XM's version is superior. And, of course, the ST's is the weakest.

If the SMS's version of Impossible Mission supports the Yamaha chip, then it would be a good source to grab audio from for an XM update. The videos on YouTube seem to only be on non-modded/non Japanese SMS models so I don't know if FM audio was created for it. Standard SMS audio is rather atrocious.

It is much bigger than that. I remembered reading about Kirby's Adventure being 6 MB. I know there is a legalized famicom game that is 8MB It is called Metal Slader Glory.

Dragon Warrior/Quest IV has 1024KB PRG.

Metal Slader Glory has 512KB PRG & 512KB CHR.

Kirby's Adventure has 512KB PRG & 256KB CHR.

The clear largest winner though is the unlicensed multi-cart...

Action 52 having a whopping 1536KB PRG & 512KB CHR!

Compared to Atari 7800 original retail line the two largest games are Alien Brigade and Crossbow, each at 144KB.

To avoid confusion, just a small note that the "MB" being discussed above are Megabits and not Megabytes.

8 Megabits = 1 Megabyte = 1024KB (Kilobytes).

Doh! I found a bug on the board. It's minor, but I didn't connect Vpp (or WE on RAM) to the middle of the jumper, but to the right. :dunce:

So instead of Vcc-Vpp-WE, it's Vcc-WE-Vpp. It's alright though, the jumper default is using WE anyway.

Here is a fixed Impossible Mission, using a 8K SRAM...

8K SRAM? What size is the ROM, 48K?

Correct.

I have fixed the jumper issue and expanded the board even further. It can now do something that hasn't been done before, stay tuned, I am waiting for the postal truck to deliver a boatload of 32K SRAM chips. ;)

CPUWiz, do you have a webpage or thread on here that details all of your work?