IGNORED

More Dreamcast Hidden Gems

Metal Jesus

Excellent list, a lot of games I would put on my personal favorites.

Loved the section on Bleem! I am still angered that Sony sued Bleem! and basically kept losing, but had enough $ to keep appealing and opening new frivolous cases such that Bleem! had to shut down. They did release Bleem! for PC at one point, it let you run PSX game son PCs with fancy graphics cards so you could get anti-aliasing and whatnot. I've still got my Bleem! Tekken 3, and the difference between that on a Dreamcast and running it on PS2 is night and day! I guess Sony felt (?) that it made the PSX hardware look bad or something, though they failed repeatedly to successfully make their case in court.

Particularly loved the mentions in Parts 1 and 2 of these videos: Armada, Cannon Spike, Zombie Revenge, and most definitely Demolition Racer. I got more play out of DR than possibly any other game back in the day, just fun time and time again. Also really loved seeing the prototypes. I've seen Prop Arena at shows before, and have played the arcade version (completed with pedals in the full rig!).

But again, excellent video!

And my edit...a few hidden gems I highly recommend that didn't get mentioned:

I have to say if you've not tried it, please try...Ooga Booga. It's so weird, and yet so fun if you can get into it. Remotely like a Super Smash Bros of sorts, but with Witch Doctors. And eventually you can open secret characters including...Abraham Lincoln. Who runs around the island shouting things about giving you four score and seven years' worth of a beatdown. Bizarre, fun, insane little game.

I also have a strange love for Plasma Sword: Nightmare of Bilstein. It's kind of a standard 3d fighter, but for my taste it's just really good and addictive. It's a sequel to Star Gladiator for PSX. Basically a way way way better and slightly weirder version of Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi. :)

And a really fun James Bond themed light gun shooter, Confidential Mission. The DC Light Guns aren't as great as the Saturn's, but it's still an excellent, fun, strange game (that really really should have seen a Wii release along with the Virtua Cop series, since they did HOTD with such success).

And though it might not be considered a hidden gem (?), you HAVE to play Typing of the Dead sometime. Just have to. And same for Power Stone (what really constitutes Hidden? :) )

Viva Dreamcast, my favorite console of all time. :)

Edited by Curious Sofa

BTW: Those trying to make a Christmas Wishlist, here are the games I show in parts 1 & 2:

Part 1:

Demolition Racer
Mars Matrix
Armada
Cannon Spike
Tech Romancer
Skies of Arcadia
Sword of the Berserk
Giga Wing 2
Half-Life
Propeller Arena
Part 2:
Outtrigger
Alienfront Online
Seaman
Zombie Revenge
Gunbird 2
Super Magnetic Neo
JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure
Starlancer
Bleem!

SkullBlade -

AlienFront Online actually does have an offline campaign mode. It may be worth having just for that, it's pretty fun even in that capacity.

Since otherwise the game would be completely worthless now with Sega's servers all shut down for years...

Ah okay thanks for clearing that up, I'll definitely keep a look out for that game then as it does look quite good.

• 3 weeks later...

As ever, a great vid!

I particularly second the motion on Sega Swirl and Red Dog - and agree that Red Dog in particular looks amazing with the VGA Adapter. It seriously looks like a game of a full decade or more past when it came out. It's made by Argonaut Software, the dudes who did Star Fox for the SNES, and is similar in ways.

Had never heard of the Ascii FT pad, have to check out those.

Also, MJ...big thumbs up on the Katamari Sagan shirt! :-> Sweet.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree... :thumbsup:

Both are tough to get though.

I actually prefer Rez on the Xbox 360 Hi-def goodness and surround sound. It is available on the Qubed Collection for cheap... or as an arcade D/L.

Edited by GrizzLee

I actually prefer Rez on the Xbox 360 Hi-def goodness and surround sound. It is available on the Qubed Collection for cheap... or as an arcade D/L.

Yeah, if you have the ability to play games in HD, the 360 version is the way to go. It also has the perk of being cheap on that compilation you mentioned, always a nice bonus. If you want to play it in SD though, the DC version is the best one to have. :)

If you got the Japan version of Rez for the PS2 you could get the "Trance Vibrator" as well. The PS2 (North America) version is rather rare. As I understand it, only 15,000 copies printed. Not sure why. So much is my love for Rez, I have all the versions. The XBOX 360 version is my favorite. You can play it in Standard Definition if you want as well ;) You can use the 360 controllers as your "trance vibrator" in this version of the game.

However, a little known fact here. Rez on the DC can be played with the DC mouse. :thumbsup: My favorite way to play it.

It is a game not for everyone, but I find it very relaxing to play after work. It is probably more art than a game. If you finish it, you can unlock the final character, a Morolian from Space Channel 5. There is a lot more to the game the initially meets the eye. That's for sure.

I also have the CD soundtrack to the game.. Called the Rez Gamer's guide. I workout to the music many times at the gym.

• Like 2