Jump to content

Larry the Lemon (was: Black Friday!)

Recommended Posts

Thank you very much for the help. I've added a title screen, along with that I modified the game a lot. And I have 94 bytes left! By the way, I am using a modified default.inc file. What I did was added a few files for the score and deleted the pfscrolling part since I wasn't scrolling the pf. I've modified bf13_mod3 since mod4 hadn't come up yet last time I looked. Anyway, I made a whole bunch of new code. I feel like if this gets released, you need a mention in the programming department...



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I see there's a goof in the dn data

that dir gets set to

SWCHA is the joystick some spots in the table
can't happen, ud (up and down simultaneously)
they get a zero
left-up and left-down were meant to set dir
to 3 which is left

joystick u d ud l lu ld lud r ru rd

dn-dir is 0 1 2 0 3 3 0 4 4 4

move u d l l r r r

should be 0 1 2 0 3 3 3 0 4 4 4

u d l l l r r r

since one of the 3s got left out rd doesn't have an
entry in the table, trying to move right-down
will bug

data dn

0, 1, 2, 0, 3, 3, 3, 0, 4, 4, 4


incidently you could save a few bytes by using
then noinlindata optimization

here I took bf14a.bas
fixed the dn data
substituted the other move_player code
hopefully it's not buggy
and added the noinlinedata optimization


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


I goofed the comparison for up-down

this might work better

s=s+1 : m=m+1

if s{0} then move_player
if m<32 then enemy_move

if n<3 then skip_eud
if player0y>player1y then enemy_move
n = n + 1 : goto enemy_move

if player0x<player1x then n = n + 1

I also rearranged the preceding if-then
to get rid of the goto

I see you left out the noinlinedata
optimization, did that mess something up?

here's bf15a.bas modified (and without
the noinlinedata optimization)


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

When the banana (player0) is at the bottom right-hand side of the screen and the lemon (player1) is at the lower left hand corner, player0 stops every 32 ticks of the timer and then starts up again. Is there a way to fix this?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

OK. Why isn't this compiling? It gives me a stupid:



DASM V2.20.07, Macro Assembler ©1988-2003
6 bytes of ROM space left
bf20.bas.asm (1659): error: Branch out of range (129 bytes).
6 bytes of ROM space left
Errors were encountered during assembly.


If there's 6 bytes left then why is there a problem?



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I get -14 bytes

For the branch out of range, this line

if !joy0fire then main

needs a goto

if !joy0fire then goto main

I rearranged the get enemy direction code
to save a few bytes (and made it a little slower
maybe)(hopefully I didn't muck anything up)


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you! I am now having 5 bytes left. I kept wondering what the difference was between the two versions was. You didn't screw anything up, it still works the same as it did before. And I need someone to design a better banana sprite. I am using a custom default.inc file that gets rid of the pfscrolling part (since the playfield doesn't scroll in this game.)



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, I've tinkered with this so it's a whole new game practically.


It's no longer a see how many points you can get in 80 seconds game. Instead it's a play until you die game.

The banana still chases the lemon around, but I've added a meter in. If you press fire while you still have extra lemon fresh scent power, you can make the banana stop with it. The lemon fresh scent power will gradually go up if fire is not pressed.

Game starts with the reset switch. (I had to since fire is now used in the game.)

Added some base notes to the title screen music.

I was able to fit all this in a 2k game and still have 1 byte left. Let me know what you think and if you see any bugs.




Edited by atari2600land

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm. 1 byte left leaves little room for changes. I like the concept and it's a fun game, but I think it needs something to ramp up the difficulty a bit early on. In my opinion, a small 2k game needs to be a bit faster. I know I've told you that before and sorry if I sound like a broken record, but I like it when these smaller games are a bit more challenging. If you can find the space, I think adding another enemy with the sprite or a ball that either chases you or shoots from the sides would be a nice addition. It's of course your game, and it's cool as is. :)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like it. Turning corners seem to give you some speed advantage over the banana.


Kinda awkward not being able to start the game with the fire button. Maybe it's just me. I never RTFM :)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Create New...